Miss St Article | The Boneyard

Miss St Article

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Looking ahead: Where does Mississippi State women's basketball go from here?

Rising junior Andra Espinoza-Hunter will likely start at shooting guard. She surely came into her own as a shooter down the stretch this season, but her defense is still a bit shaky. Schaefer isn’t sold on Espinoza-Hunter as a defender; he had to take her out of numerous games because of lapses on that end of the floor.

Espinoza-Hunter was able to get significant playing time despite her defensive lapses. Would the same happened at UConn, probably this year she would, but not last year.

Reaction Score
The defense side of things follows her. I believe that she wouldn't equally work as hard on defense as offense to learn all facets of the game and after a while Geno lost patience.....

Reaction Score
Watched a little of the game last night. AEH really has a quick release and hit some tough shots last night. Her defense did not seem as bad as I thought based on what everyone has been saying, could be a little more aggressive.

Reaction Score
She is their best outside shooter and he sat her the majority of the fourth quarter. Vic does some foolish things in big games. Defense or not, he should have been running plays for her in the 4th.

Reaction Score
Watched a little of the game last night. AEH really has a quick release and hit some tough shots last night. Her defense did not seem as bad as I thought based on what everyone has been saying, could be a little more aggressive.

Her defense improved a lot from where it was to start the year but it still needs work. She needs to work on her agility and quickness. She has issues allowing guards to penetrate the paint way too easy. I would like to see her attempt to be more proactive in trying to rebound and getting more involved. There is no doubt she is a scorer and can change that portion of the game but its the other aspects she needs to build on.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The defense side of things follows her. I believe that she wouldn't equally work as hard on defense as offense to learn all facets of the game and after a while Geno lost patience.....
That wasn't it. It was a lot of off court stuff, not on court.

Reaction Score
Chloe Bibby and AEH are good friends. Chloe became a gym rat after her freshman season and was a LOT more athletic year two. The work she put in showed up in her footwork and in her defense. If AEH follows suit, she could become a complete player. She's got size. She just needs to learn more about defense, rebounding, driving to the basket, etc.

MSU is going to depend a lot more on the 3 next year. I am sure that AEH is a big part of Vic's plans.

Reaction Score
Chloe Bibby and AEH are good friends. Chloe became a gym rat after her freshman season and was a LOT more athletic year two. The work she put in showed up in her footwork and in her defense. If AEH follows suit, she could become a complete player. She's got size. She just needs to learn more about defense, rebounding, driving to the basket, etc.

MSU is going to depend a lot more on the 3 next year. I am sure that AEH is a big part of Vic's plans.
My concern for next year is point guard. I realize Myah Taylor is the leading candidate for the starting PG but she really has not lived up to the hype. Hope Myah progresses in a manner similar to Jazz. Definitely need her to get in the gym and make it happen!

Reaction Score
Taylors defense is great. You wouldn't see a drop off at all there. Issue is her ball handling was inconsistent and she has no touch on her shots. I think half her 3's/mid range shots were airballs.

That said, Vic has always been great with point guards and getting great development there. I am curious to see how that freshmen class is utilized. While Rickea Jackson gains a lot of the star power, Martinez IMO is very under rated and Matharu is pretty damn good. Vic's post game comments on Wiggins is interesting, they really think she can be really really go.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Mississippi State has a lot of talent on the roster despite graduating its 4 best players. The loss of Holmes might be the hardest to replace...she was the best point guard in the SEC this past year and there isn't an obvious replacement waiting in the wings. Most knowledgable fans knew there'd be little to no dropoff from William to Holmes this year, but the dropoff from Holmes to Taylor is signficant.

In the post they lose Big T but have 6-5 Promise Taylor coming in and Carter should improve by this fall. AEH and Bibby might be the 2 best shooters in the conference next yer and Scott is also a fantastic long range threat. Their rotation might be:
C-Taylor
F-Bibby
G/F-Scott
G/F-AEH
G-Taylor

Bench:
Post-Carter
Wing-Jackson

Wouldn't count out Wiggins or a grad transfer either. Positions 2-5 look pretty good, PG situation needs work. Mississippi State still could put together a top 10 season with that lineup. Most teams in women's college basketball will be down next year and the pieces Vic are solid. I think he has a good shot for a 3rd straight SEC championship.

Reaction Score
AEH needs to get more shots next year. She was shooting over 45% from three and wasn't getting enough shots because of Vic's pound it in offense. So what if she isn't the best defensive player--making 3s makes up for that (NBA anyone?)

Reaction Score
AEH needs to get more shots next year. She was shooting over 45% from three and wasn't getting enough shots because of Vic's pound it in offense. So what if she isn't the best defensive player--making 3s makes up for that (NBA anyone?)
My major concern with AEH she past up shots when she was wide open, not sure if this was due to lack of confidence or Vic’s emphasis on paint points. A strong part of AEH’s game is passing she is a really good passer.

Reaction Score
Mississippi State has a lot of talent on the roster despite graduating its 4 best players. The loss of Holmes might be the hardest to replace...she was the best point guard in the SEC this past year and there isn't an obvious replacement waiting in the wings. Most knowledgable fans knew there'd be little to no dropoff from William to Holmes this year, but the dropoff from Holmes to Taylor is signficant.

In the post they lose Big T but have 6-5 Promise Taylor coming in and Carter should improve by this fall. AEH and Bibby might be the 2 best shooters in the conference next yer and Scott is also a fantastic long range threat. Their rotation might be:
C-Taylor
F-Bibby
G/F-Scott
G/F-AEH
G-Taylor

Bench:
Post-Carter
Wing-Jackson

Wouldn't count out Wiggins or a grad transfer either. Positions 2-5 look pretty good, PG situation needs work. Mississippi State still could put together a top 10 season with that lineup. Most teams in women's college basketball will be down next year and the pieces Vic are solid. I think he has a good shot for a 3rd straight SEC championship.
I think that rotation needs at least one more ball handler.

Reaction Score
AEH improved so much this year. She was pretty much thrown in on the spot because she hadn’t been practicing witht the team as if she was eligible. It was a shaky start, especially in her shooting, that resulted in her getting little minutes in big games. She stepped up huge when Bibby went down. She was much more comfortable, and her percentages went up a good bit.

Vic went to her a lot early in the South Carolina game (I think because he knew T was their focus), and she had a huge first half and then opened up things for T. I think she can make a huge leap in her speed and strength. Absolutely agree I would like to see more rebounding involvement given she has pretty good size.

If they do add Balogun, they will have really good depth at the wings. I haven’t seen enough of Balogun’s skill set to know where she would fit in.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I think Myah Taylor is hardly the concern next year. She would probably thrive more on the team next year than this year. This year she had McCowan - the sole screen setter, so Myah wasn't able to find a whole lot of room to score. Next year, she'll have Promise Taylor - probably a heck of a screen setter, and then Bibby, and then probably a lot more open spacing. We'll have 3 proven players that shoot over 45% from 3s....... that's gotta create a lot of space

Besides, Taylor passes better than Holmes while on the drive. She does need a better feel on her shot though, I think maybe she needs to learn to create a better trajectory, maybe more of an arch? on her shot.

Biggest question should be transfers which Vic always strikes gold in, and biggest concern should be defense, although I think Bibby and Taylor are good defenders. Not sure about the others though.

Reaction Score

C-Taylor
F-Bibby
G/F-Scott
G/F-AEH
G-Taylor

Bench:
Post-Carter
Wing-Jackson

The SEC championship will come down to A&M and SC next year IMO.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think Myah Taylor is hardly the concern next year. She would probably thrive more on the team next year than this year. This year she had McCowan - the sole screen setter, so Myah wasn't able to find a whole lot of room to score. Next year, she'll have Promise Taylor - probably a heck of a screen setter, and then Bibby, and then probably a lot more open spacing. We'll have 3 proven players that shoot over 45% from 3s.. that's gotta create a lot of space

Besides, Taylor passes better than Holmes while on the drive. She does need a better feel on her shot though, I think maybe she needs to learn to create a better trajectory, maybe more of an arch? on her shot.

Biggest question should be transfers which Vic always strikes gold in, and biggest concern should be defense, although I think Bibby and Taylor are good defenders. Not sure about the others though.

Taylor's decision making looked very questionable in games I saw her play. Mississippi State quietly had one of the smartest PGs in the country the past 3 years. Holmes and William just didn't turn the ball over or make bad decisions. Pass first PGs and exceptional defenders. Holmes was very good as a backup to William as a sophomore and junior, where Taylor hasn't shown the same composure or decision making skills thus far.

This should be a much tougher year for Vic than 2019 was. He has solid players waiting in the wing, but no one is close to the caliber of post that McCowan has been, nor is there a PG the caliber of Holmes coming back. There's bound to be some growing pains, but Vic is as good as anyone at developing his kids.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Taylor's decision making looked very questionable in games I saw her play. Mississippi State quietly had one of the smartest PGs in the country the past 3 years. Holmes and William just didn't turn the ball over or make bad decisions. Pass first PGs and exceptional defenders. Holmes was very good as a backup to William as a sophomore and junior, where Taylor hasn't shown the same composure or decision making skills thus far.

This should be a much tougher year for Vic than 2019 was. He has solid players waiting in the wing, but no one is close to the caliber of post that McCowan has been, nor is there a PG the caliber of Holmes coming back. There's bound to be some growing pains, but Vic is as good as anyone at developing his kids.

I'm not foolish enough to think that Vic will fill the hole that McCowan left just like that. If anything, I'm not even sold on Promise Taylor yet. Dominating at Ole Miss is different than dominating at Mississippi State - way different standards.

Though Vic is hot on the trail of this girl... Juco transfer, Yemiyah Morris.

Can dunk, block shots, really big and tall, and has some nice individual skillsets. Though I worry about her ability to give us so many of those easy points McCowan did by simply taking a wide stance and shifting a position.... easy layup. Though this girl has some real high-points.

Fair enough on your Myah take. I think Myah is a star in waiting, typical Vic Schaefer product. 2nd in line on the bench this year. Double digit scorer next year. Vic is determined to make her a full product by the end of her career.

I don't think we should be a top 10 team in the preseason rankings, but who knows how these things turn out in the end.

Reaction Score
I'm not foolish enough to think that Vic will fill the hole that McCowan left just like that. If anything, I'm not even sold on Promise Taylor yet. Dominating at Ole Miss is different than dominating at Mississippi State - way different standards.

Though Vic is hot on the trail of this girl... Juco transfer, Yemiyah Morris.

Can dunk, block shots, really big and tall, and has some nice individual skillsets. Though I worry about her ability to give us so many of those easy points McCowan did by simply taking a wide stance and shifting a position.... easy layup. Though this girl has some real high-points.

Fair enough on your Myah take. I think Myah is a star in waiting, typical Vic Schaefer product. 2nd in line on the bench this year. Double digit scorer next year. Vic is determined to make her a full product by the end of her career.

I don't think we should be a top 10 team in the preseason rankings, but who knows how these things turn out in the end.

What ever happened with Daphne White? I know she transferred to JC but I understoood while she was at MSST she showed real ability. Assumption for transfer was grades, if that were the case is she still a candidate for MSST. My brother in law saw her play in HS and according to him she had unbelievable upside.

Reaction Score
What ever happened with Daphne White? I know she transferred to JC but I understoood while she was at MSST she showed real ability. Assumption for transfer was grades, if that were the case is she still a candidate for MSST. My brother in law saw her play in HS and according to him she had unbelievable upside.
She did have superb upside, but Mississippi State is certainly not in the picture.

Wouldn’t be surprised if LSU is her next stop.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

She was basically dismissed from the team. Not for grades.

Reaction Score

Yeah, PG is the biggest concern. Vic and staff have shown they can develop a PG, but they will have to take some losses next year. I see us being a lot like South Carolina was this year. Losing a dominant player and trying to figure it out. South Carolina entered a new era without Wilson, and we'll be doing the same thing without McCowan (and Vivians last year).

Reaction Score
She was basically dismissed from the team. Not for grades.
Did she ever attend any classes at State? I thought she made the Italian trip and was working out well as a teammate. Must have really screwed up because Vic usually is tolerant of freshman players until they just can not cut it and they decide to leave.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom