Miss Moriah Jefferson, Point Guard | The Boneyard

Miss Moriah Jefferson, Point Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think really while it is an endearing catch phrase, Mo-aholic is not showing quite the respect our point guard deserves - even if it reflects the dire straights we will be in over the next six months as we try going cold turkey and suffer the withdrawal symptoms for a glorious addiction.

Moriah's year end stats:
Rebounds: 136 - 3.4 per game
Steals: 106 - 2.7 per game
Assists: 195 - 4.9 per game
Turnovers: 66
A/TO: 2.95
Blocks: 9
FG %: .575
3FG%: .418
FT%: .768

So ... she missed being the second player in Uconn history to reach the 100,100,200,400 level by 5 assists. Uconn's shooting woes in Lincoln and in the semifinal against Stanford doomed the pursuit of the 200 assist number - Uconn averaged 21.7 assist per game in the other 37 games, in those three the average was 16 (in the BYU game 13 and Stanford 15.) BUT ...
The numbers above still represent a full year of exceptional production. No Uconn player with at least 100 assists has ever had an A/TO ratio above 2.51 until this year. Only three players have ever recorded triple figures in steals (Nykesha did it three times, Rita twice and Jen once. Moriah now ranks fifth for a single season.) The 195 assists also ranks as the 5th best total ever at Uconn. And the shooting percentage from the field is superior to any season Jen, Rita, Nykesha, Sue, DT, Rene, or Bria ever had.
Moriah led this years starters in: Steals, Assists, A/TO, FG%, 3FG% (and came in a solid fourth in blocks and fifth in rebounds :rolleyes:)
And she became the 'stopper' on defense taking up the mantle Kelly left vacant. She is not as tall or strong as Kelly but her quickness and tenacity at that end of the court was unmatched. Even when she wasn't getting steals or blocks she was able to disrupt the opponents offensive flow, forcing errant passes, stopping penetration, tipping passes, and preventing offensive threats from even getting the ball.

A great year and the best part, she is only half way through her Uconn career!:)

(No disrespect is intended toward the other great players on the Uconn team by focusing on Moriah with these posts. What makes the above special and possible is the great team performance of all the Uconn players.)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Did you notice how close she was to Geno throughout the post-game and the hair mussing (of which she played a major part).
And what a smile, what elation
This kid just sops it up.
Mega talent from such a tiny munchkin.
I'm so pleased she emerged and am reluctant to gloat…but I must:

I told you so! :)

Reaction Score
Did you notice how close she was to Geno throughout the post-game and the hair mussing (of which she played a major part).
And what a smile, what elation
This kid just sops it up.
Mega talent from such a tiny munchkin.
I'm so pleased she emerged and am reluctant to gloat…but I must:

I told you so! :)

Yes you did tell us so. I will admit I wasn't sure she would be anywhere near as good this year as it relates to her 3 point shooting and getting to the rim. So happy for her

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
let's not forget the range on the 3-ball... Mo became a threat!

Reaction Score
I just spent my morning watching the final 5 minutes of the 1995, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2009 and 2010 championship games...

...it was totally putting off work, but it sure was fun!

Reaction Score
Moriah's pace is simply a cut above the rest, she's just unbelievable. She played her heart out on both sides of the court. We are very bless to have such a special PG.

Reaction Score
Moriah, straight up: my favorite Husky, my favorite wcbb player to watch. Second only to DT in my overall list of active wbb favorites. She stands poised on the brink of greatness, I fully believe she'll take that plunge with delight.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Just to pile on with possibly my favorite Mo moment of the championship game:

There was a play where ND had retained possession and was supposed to inbound the ball. Specifically, Kayla McBride was going to do the honors. However, Mo had a brief lapse of attention with respect to that and was so wrapped up in the notion of playing defense that she was guarding Kayla and preventing her from getting to the baseline to inbound! The ref had to beckon her away, and Moriah flashed a big smile.

Now THAT, my friends, is dedication to defense. And God love her for that.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

There was a play where ND had retained possession and was supposed to inbound the ball. Specifically, Kayla McBride was going to do the honors. However, Mo had a brief lapse of attention with respect to that and was so wrapped up in the notion of playing defense that she was guarding Kayla and preventing her from getting to the baseline to inbound! The ref had to beckon her away, and Moriah flashed a big smile.

Yes - that was just a wonderful moment and I think both the ref and Moriah were sort of laughing - Kayla, not so much.

Reaction Score

One for the ages for sure.

Reaction Score
A very special player!
And what a sweetheart. Once I got to the game early and snuck down to where the gals were stretching. She gave me the nicest little smile I won't forget.;):confused::rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I think really while it is an endearing catch phrase, Mo-aholic is not showing quite the respect our point guard deserves - even if it reflects the dire straights we will be in over the next six months as we try going cold turkey and suffer the withdrawal symptoms for a glorious addiction.

Moriah's year end stats:

So ... she missed being the second player in Uconn history to reach the 100,100,200,400 level by 5 assists. Uconn's shooting woes in Lincoln and in the semifinal against Stanford doomed the pursuit of the 200 assist number - Uconn averaged 21.7 assist per game in the other 37 games, in those three the average was 16 (in the BYU game 13 and Stanford 15.) BUT ...
The numbers above still represent a full year of exceptional production. No Uconn player with at least 100 assists has ever had an A/TO ratio above 2.51 until this year. Only three players have ever recorded triple figures in steals (Nykesha did it three times, Rita twice and Jen once. Moriah now ranks fifth for a single season.) The 195 assists also ranks as the 5th best total ever at Uconn. And the shooting percentage from the field is superior to any season Jen, Rita, Nykesha, Sue, DT, Rene, or Bria ever had.
Moriah led this years starters in: Steals, Assists, A/TO, FG%, 3FG% (and came in a solid fourth in blocks and fifth in rebounds :rolleyes:)
And she became the 'stopper' on defense taking up the mantle Kelly left vacant. She is not as tall or strong as Kelly but her quickness and tenacity at that end of the court was unmatched. Even when she wasn't getting steals or blocks she was able to disrupt the opponents offensive flow, forcing errant passes, stopping penetration, tipping passes, and preventing offensive threats from even getting the ball.

A great year and the best part, she is only half way through her Uconn career!:)

(No disrespect is intended toward the other great players on the Uconn team by focusing on Moriah with these posts. What makes the above special and possible is the great team performance of all the Uconn players.)

Moriah's year end stats:

Who is the one player to achieve 100 reb, 200 asts, 100 stls, and 400 points?

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score

Absolutely one of the great moments of the game- my lower floor seat was facing her and Kayla directly - we were hysterical- and when she turned with that smile- you guys always beat me to the punch!

Reaction Score
I like the play when Breanna blocked a shot out of bounds. The ball would have been ND's, but MoJett jumped out of bounds and banked it off an ND player so we retained possession. That's hustle you can't teach.

Reaction Score
She is a major force and great fun to watch. Two more years!! :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I like the play when Breanna blocked a shot out of bounds. The ball would have been ND's, but MoJett jumped out of bounds and banked it off an ND player so we retained possession. That's hustle you can't teach.
That was an all-around great play. Really defined the night.

Reaction Score
Not sure who the ND girl was, but she just turned and walked away in disgust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom