Miscellaneous Minor UConn Sports Roundup - August 29, 2011 | The Boneyard

Miscellaneous Minor UConn Sports Roundup - August 29, 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I will try to post this somewhat often. I may post updates in the same thread or create a new thread if this one gets too large. We'll see how things go. Anyway, this is for updates on the "minor" UConn sports. Football and men's and women's basketball are excluded because they have their own major forums. I may exclude baseball when we get to baseball season, depending on whether that has its own dedicated forum.

Men's soccer: Men's soccer beat St. Francis 2-0 on Saturday afternoon thanks to an own goal and a score from Carlos Alvarez. Next up is Michigan State Thursday at 7:30 PM. For more info, see the 2011 Soccer Thread on BY. This is a very good squad which could contend for the national title.

Women's soccer: Women's soccer lost the season opener on August 19th to the other Huskies, from Northeastern. Final score 2-1 in spite of jumping out 1-0. But the Huskies came storming back against Colgate on the 25th, winning 3-0. A game against Central Connecticut State on Sunday was canceled because of rain. No makeup date has been announced. We snuck into the NCAA tournament last year after a good showing in the Big East Tournament and are looking to improve. Next up we travel to Winston-Salem for a weekend series. We will take on Wake Forest Friday night at 7:30 before playing Virginia Tech at 11:30 AM Sunday.

Women's volleyball: Women's volleyball was at the TCU Invitational in Fort Worth. We beat Grambling in the opener but lost two in a row to Texas Tech an the host Horned Frogs. Next up we are at home over Labor Day Weekend for the Toyota UConn classic, a three game, two-day round robin tournament featuring us, Holy Cross, Howard, and Binghamton. We are a long-shot to make the tournament this year.

Field Hockey: We beat Hofstra on Friday afternoon 7-1 in the Husky Invitational. We were supposed to face #20 Stanford in the Husky Invitational yesterday afternoon, but it was postponed to today due to rain. Currently, there are about 4 minutes in the first half and we lead 3-1. We were picked to win the Big East this year and are ranked #4 in the preseason poll. After the Husky Invitational, we will travel to #5 Penn State on September 4th. The Nittany Lions are coming off a huge road win at #3 Virginia. The winner of this game will likely move up to #3 in the country (assuming the Huskies beat the Cardinal today). They might even move up to #2 if current #2 UNC loses to #10 Syracuse at home on Friday evening. The rankings will be due out on Monday evening, September 5th. This team could contend for the title.

Reaction Score
And while I was posting this, field hockey reached halftime. Still 3-1. Goals by Anne Jeute, Jestine Angelini, and Ali Blankmeyer. Alex McCrawley has one for the Cardinal. UConn has outshot Stanford 6-1, and also has 6 penalty corners to 0 for the Cardinal. Two green cards for the visitors - Courtney Haldeman and Stephanie Byrne. GameTracker (which you can follow yourself here) says neither team has any saves, which means UConn has 3 shots on goal to 1 for the Cardinal, and all of them went in. UConn can't let this be a trap game looking ahead to Penn State on Sunday.

Edit 2:00 PM - Chloe Hunnable gets a goal for the Huskies in the 41st minute. 4-1. 26:28 left as of the last time GT updated. We should win this one barring a collapse.

Edit 2:01 PM - And just as I post that, Becky Dru cuts it to 4-2. 43:36 in. For those uneducated, when the clock hits 70:00, we're done.

Edit 3:42 PM - Gametracker died, but the Huskies won 4-2.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the updates. This is good stuff.
You're welcome. I also post a summary on my blog, which you can find in my signature. If this looks similar to that, it's because they're both by me. So I didn't plagiarize them, nor did they plagiarize me. Because I am them. So don't block me.

Reaction Score
Update, also written on my blog, for today.

Women's Soccer: The game Friday at Wake Forest has been moved to 6:00 PM. We will still take on Virginia Tech on Sunday at 11:30 AM. Both games can be heard on WHUS.org and locally on 91.7 FM. Also, Riley Houle was named SoccerSavings.com New England Women's College Soccer Player of the Week. Houle scored her first career goal August 25th vs. Colgate.
Field Hockey: Justine Angelini was named Big East offensive player of the Week. She scored three goals and an assist in the 7-1 win vs. Hofstra. The award was given prior to yesterday's game vs. #20 Stanford.
Men's Soccer: UConn students interested in attending this Thursday's game vs. Michigan State at 7:30 PM should stop by the red tent outside the Co-op to pick up their free tickets. The Spartans are #19 in the country.

No action tonight or tomorrow. Men's soccer hosts #19 Michigan State Thursday at 7:30. That game is available on 91.7 FM and WHUS.org. Of course, football plays Thursday too, but that has its own forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom