Minnesota & Moseley? | The Boneyard

Minnesota & Moseley?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
If I may ask, why a “long shot” as Minn is a P5 school and it should pay well and be descent recruiting.

1) There's been a bunch of talk about Lindsay Whalen. If she's interested, gotta think its hers.
2) Yes Moseley was an assistant, but under a coach who was ultimately fired.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I know we are not supposed to talk about 'transfers' but I assume Nan would OK this question:

Assume for the moment that Marisa gets the position.
First off: a theoretical congrats to her.

Who would you like Geno to pursue to take her place?

My first thought would be to check in with Tamika Williams.

Reaction Score
I know we are not supposed to talk about 'transfers' but I assume Nan would OK this question:

didn't realize she's at penn st now.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
...Who would you like Geno to pursue to take her place...

Kelly Faris, but it will probably be someone with "post" experience. Now if Shea got the job ...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Boston University & Moseley?

She's a former Terrier.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
1) There's been a bunch of talk about Lindsay Whalen. If she's interested, gotta think its hers.
2) Yes Moseley was an assistant, but under a coach who was ultimately fired.

As for #1, I'm a big fan of Lindsay Whalen, but -- as we all know here -- she's had zip experience on the sidelines, save for when she's taking a break from playing. Even if surrounded by experienced assistants, that's quite a leap, particular from an alma mater that's expecting big-time results. Still, if the administration wants to go after her, so be it.

Regarding #2, Marisa Moseley was at Minnesota during two of Borton's better seasons, when the Gophers went 20-12 in both campaigns. It's played up pretty well in her UConn bio:

"During her tenure at Minnesota, Moseley helped lead the Golden Gophers to a pair of NCAA Tournament appearances (2008, 2009) while posting an overall record of 40-24 over her two seasons and had two post players under her tutelage earn All-Big Ten status.

"Also, while serving in her role as academic liaison, a total of 11 Minnesota women's basketball players earned selection to the Big Ten Academic Honor Roll."

And I'll add a #3 that if I'm Lindsay Whalen or any other candidate (Marisa, Niele Ivey, etc.), I bring up in my interview this comment from Marlene Stollings she chose to go to "...Texas Tech because it gives her the “platform and the ability” to reach her ultimate goal: a national title.

“I want to be able to on a national scale do even bigger things than what we were able to accomplish [in Minnesota],” she said.

My question: "So what is it at Minnesota that would prevent us as a program (and me as a coach) from taking the next step?"

Reaction Score
Regarding #2, Marisa Moseley was at Minnesota during two of Borton's better seasons, when the Gophers went 20-12 in both campaigns. It's played up pretty well in her UConn bio:

Not saying she didn't do well at Minn. Just that when you bring back an assistant to be HC it's usually to reconnect with the "good old days when X was HC." I doubt MN views Borton as the good ol days. Not impossible to hire MM, just seems less likely given her connection, however tangential, with a coach they fired.

It would be like ND football hiring back a Bob Davie assistant to be Head.

An obvious counterexample would be Pitt & Shea Ralph. Though Agnes B was ultimately fired, the Shea years in Pitt were some of their best ever and things went downhill, coincidentally or not, after she left.

Reaction Score
If I may ask, why a “long shot” as Minn is a P5 school and it should pay well and be descent recruiting.
Stollings was at $500,000 per year at Minn which surprised me Minn paid that much

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Not saying she didn't do well at Minn. Just that when you bring back an assistant to be HC it's usually to reconnect with the "good old days when X was HC." I doubt MN views Borton as the good ol days. Not impossible to hire MM, just seems less likely given her connection, however tangential, with a coach they fired.

An obvious counterexample would be Pitt & Shea Ralph. Though Agnes B was ultimately fired, the Shea years in Pitt were some of their best ever and things went downhill, coincidentally or not, after she left.

In many cases, your example makes absolutely spot-on sense, but I'm not certain it entirely holds in all instances. In looking at Minnesota,
- Barton wasn't that bad. Shad a 236-152 record with the Gophers, including 104-94 in Big Ten play.
- She coached Minnesota to the NCAA tournament in six of her first seven seasons, including a Final Four and two Sweet 16 appearances. But the Gophers haven’t made the NCAA tournament since the 2008-09 season.
- Guess when Morisa was there? She would probably be associated with the "good old days," in part...
- because Minnesota is on now on a third athletic director since then. The one that fired her -- Norwood Teague -- was ultimately let go for undisclosed reasons, many of which transpired at his previous job at VCU (and involved former HC and now Irish assistant coach Beth Cunningham). Guess who he hired after firing Borton? Cunnigham's replacement at Minnesota, Stallings.

OK, check that....maybe it's not the athletic administration that has the long memory here: it should be the possible candidate! :rolleyes:

After perusing too many articles on this, I read that one of the reasons Borton was let go was her inability to recruit Minnesota better, yet her last prize recruit, Carlie Wagner, was arguably Minnesota's best player this year and might be drafted tonight. And the post--mortems on Stallings give her credit for getting transfers but not ...you guessed it...being able to recruit Minnesota. Maybe the recruits are keeping track?

Marisa, Niele: tread carefully.....;)

p.s. Your Davie example is spot-on. A catch-all phrase for something that is so bad is: "Blame Davie."

Reaction Score
The only Minnesota recruits Stollings was able to get were ones transferring back home. Homesick?

Reaction Score
Seems like a precarious coaching position: either really excell or a few years and done. They reportedly really want Whalen, who would be an excellent choice for a number of reasons.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Stollings was at $500,000 per year at Minn which surprised me Minn paid that much

In 2014, Stolling's predecssor -- Karen Borton -- was "$335,000, plus $150,000 in supplemental and media compensation." When fired she was paid half of her base salary for the two years remaining on her contract (adding up to $335,000). Wonder if Stollings' salary included this supplemental and media compensation or if she got something on top of that?

Reaction Score

Diana Taurasi or Sue Bird!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom