Minnesota Lynx @ Connecticut Sun - 6/09/18 | The Boneyard

Minnesota Lynx @ Connecticut Sun - 6/09/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Back at the Arena after that amazing finish against the Liberty, the 6-1 league-leading Sun face the defending champion Lynx. As emotional as that last one was, I still don't see a let down when you have the champs at your home court. Even when they come in with a 3-5 record.

The Lynx have gotten off to a slow start but are still ridiculously talented and capable of winning it all. My biggest worry is Sylvia Fowles potentially fouling out the whole Sun front court. JJ is carrying more weight this year (we are told this is intentional) but so far it seems to be hurting more than helping her game. So far it looks to me like she has less lift and quickness around the basket. Both she and Chiney have been foul-prone at times.

The Sun will change the starting line-up again today, going back to Stricken at the 3 rather than JJ as they did against NY. Reward? Match-ups? Not sure, but Strick appears to be a total team player and won't be affected one way or the other.

33850140_10156236867415449_7597746375815593984_n.jpg

Reaction Score
Ironic that you would post a pic of the Sun player from Minnesota. ;)

If the Sun play man-defense, it will be intriguing to see who they will have guarding who.

It’ll also be intriguing to see how Minnesota defends Connecticut’s athletic guards. Maybe another low-minute game for Whalen?

Reaction Score
44-38 CON at the half

Williams 16 pts, 3 reb, 2 ast

Fowles 12 pts, 5 reb, 1 blk

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Wowzers. So how does Minnesota go from champions to rubbish in less than one season? They are not in sync at all, and have trouble making shots.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Wowzers. So how does Minnesota go from champions to rubbish in less than one season? They are not in sync at all, and have trouble making shots.

That's a good question!?! :eek: There's an old saying: "Father time is undefeated". It appears that he has finally caught up with the Lynx. I completely understand and agree with the thought that a starting unit in any sport that wins a championship, SHOULD have the right to come back the next season intact to try and defend it.

Here's a clue: Brunson, Augustus and Whalen combined for 6 points (Whalen was scoreless in 17 minutes). When your starting 5 only puts 43 points (32 off the bench) on the board, you're going to lose a lot of games. Last year they finished 27-7. They've already lost 6 games in the first month of the season. At 29, Maya is the youngest starter for the Lynx. They need to get younger, and fast!!! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

psconn

Reaction Score
6771 According to wnba.com (box score)

Not sure what the problem was with the lines. When we got in it was a good, but not great crowd.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
This is purely speculation on my part, but I can't imagine that Minnesota hired Whalen to be their head coach on a part time basis. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this is her last season in the WNBA. Kinda looking like she doesn't have any gas left in the tank anyway.

Reaction Score
I'm a big MN Linx fan and also a big CT Sun fan but MN has been on the wrong side of most plays this season looking so disjointed, sloppy play, a step slow, just nothing like what made them such a fun/great team to watch the last several years!
On the other hand the CT Sun has been dynamic! Constant movement on offense, excellent switches on defense, everyone doing THEIR role in running plays and hustling throughout the game! And the best part is they obviously enjoy playing with each other whether starters or subs they are enthusiastic about each others play! Players can start or come in off the bench and their energy is the same! I have to admit that my opinion of Alex Bentley has changed! She was one of my most unfavorable players, I dreaded her playing but the last two years she hasn't pouted and done crazy things to disrupt the play of her teammates but has brought all positives off the bench!
They really remind me of the type of play UCONN WBB usually brings to the games!

Reaction Score
Jasmine Thomas and Courtney Williams really impressed me today. Of course Stricklen seems to be on a roll. Chiney and Alyssa Thomas controlled Minny's front line.

Has Father Time finally caught up to the Lynx?

Reaction Score
Minnesota has gotten old, trading Howard was not a good move. They need an infusion of youth, and that is going to take time.
Don't forget that one Renee Montgomery was doing some special stuff for them. That was another big loss for Minn. But the Dynasty may yet have some life in it. If they continue winning so few games, they may tank and get a high draft pick. Add a good free agent and they could be right back up there next year. Maya is still young enough and a great enough player to keep them going for years to come.

psconn

Reaction Score
Don't forget that one Renee Montgomery was doing some special stuff for them. That was another big loss for Minn. But the Dynasty may yet have some life in it. If they continue winning so few games, they may tank and get a high draft pick. Add a good free agent and they could be right back up there next year. Maya is still young enough and a great enough player to keep them going for years to come.

What you say is possible, but don't forget that the 4 Lottery Teams (those not making this year's playoffs) pick position is based on their combined record of the last two years The Lynx would need and epic purposeful tank (like Phoenix did to get Griner) to get into the lottery, but could at least come in fairly low in the first round... did they trade away first or second round picks?

Reaction Score
What you say is possible, but don't forget that the 4 Lottery Teams (those not making this year's playoffs) pick position is based on their combined record of the last two years The Lynx would need and epic purposeful tank (like Phoenix did to get Griner) to get into the lottery, but could at least come in fairly low in the first round... did they trade away first or second round picks?

All that has to happen is missing the playoffs to go to the lottery, but their odds of getting the #1 pick would be a very paltry 10%. It’s a deep first round draft and some teams will screw up on their picks. They wouldn’t have to go to the lottery to improve through the draft. As a fan, I would rather the Lynx make the playoffs to put fear in the hearts of the teams that have to play them. Playoffs are a whole new season.

psconn

Reaction Score
All that has to happen is missing the playoffs to go to the lottery, but their odds of getting the #1 pick would be a very paltry 10%. It’s a deep first round draft and some teams will screw up on their picks. They wouldn’t have to go to the lottery to improve through the draft. As a fan, I would rather the Lynx make the playoffs to put fear in the hearts of the teams that have to play them. Playoffs are a whole new season.

Correct. I misspoke.

Bottom 4 this season are in the lottery. The order of pick is then determined by lottery weighted by the 2 year cumulative records. The team with the worst two-year cumulative record having 442 chances out of 1,000 to win the first pick, the team with the second worst two-year cumulative record having 276 chances out of 1,000, the team with the third worst two-year cumulative record having 178 chances out of 1,000, and the team with the best two-year cumulative record having 104 chances out of 1,000 to win the first pick. Additionally, there is an exception that the team with the worst two-year cumulative record can end up with no worse than the third pick.

As a Sun fan, I agree with statement about playing the season with the sole intent of winning another championship. A) because they are talented enough to do so, and B) it is the ethically correct thing to do. This ain't Olympic badminton.

I don't know what all the Lynx's problems are, but I do know any team with Fowles and Moore on it has a chance to win a lot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom