Minnesota Hires Lindsay Whalen | The Boneyard

Minnesota Hires Lindsay Whalen

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
upload_2018-4-12_14-59-25.png

Reaction Score
That's quite a transition. The girl is non-stop. Wishing her the best. I've always admired her.

Minnesota women are not to be reckoned with. I'm quite familiar with them ...well, one in particular anyway ...so I should know. :eek:

BTW, on the plus side, I suppose Geno and CD are breathing a little easier with this news. Me too! :)

Reaction Score
I wish her well, but I'm not sure if I'd be in favor of hiring a part-time player to
be a part-time coach. Running a D1 program is pretty much a full-time job.

Yes, Geno had the national team distraction for a number of years, but he had
CD and some veteran assistants to hold the fort and keep things running
smoothly.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
That is going to be one busy player and coach this summer. Hiring the right assistant coaches is going to be paramount. And even then, I wonder how long you can be both a player and a coach (for different organizations) and be effective in either or both and not frazzle out.

On another note (and thread of ours), the Paige Bueckers recruitment might be getting more interesting now that there's a former...err, current...great point guard coaching at the local school. Geesh....the drama. :) :rolleyes:

That said, good luck to Lindsay.

Well, one less possible destination for Niele Ivey of the Irish and Marisa Moseley of the Huskies.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I really hope that works out for them, Lindsay has always been a favorite of mine.

Unfortunately UConn fans have first-hand experience of how painful it is if it doesn't.

Reaction Score
I wish her well, but I'm not sure if I'd be in favor of hiring a part-time player to
be a part-time coach. Running a D1 program is pretty much a full-time job.

Yes, Geno had the national team distraction for a number of years, but he had
CD and some veteran assistants to hold the fort and keep things running
smoothly.

JRizz was the coach at Hartford while she was still in the W.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Great hire, although I too would be concerned with her playing in the WNBA. Players show up on campus for summer classes and workouts. It’s an important time for the HC to be on campus. In addition, it’s a good time for a coach to make the rounds to scout the AAU circuit.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I have to wonder, although LW was a good pro and nat'l team player, other than being a MN native, what is she bringing to the role? I am not knocking any of her experience, however, I cannot believe that there weren't a number of qualified assistant coaches that were ready to take the next step. I'm not a fan of hiring former players/commentators to make a splash (Hardaway @ Memphis, Dykes @ Ark, etc). It's hard enough for anyone to advance in this industry that have the experience.

(halfway through this post before seeing the comment re Geno's recommendation)

Reaction Score
I have to wonder, although LW was a good pro and nat'l team player, other than being a MN native, what is she bringing to the role? I am not knocking any of her experience, however, I cannot believe that there weren't a number of qualified assistant coaches that were ready to take the next step. I'm not a fan of hiring former players/commentators to make a splash (Hardaway @ Memphis, Dykes @ Ark, etc). It's hard enough for anyone to advance in this industry that have the experience.

(halfway through this post before seeing the comment re Geno's recommendation)
That's a good point, but one thing in her favor is that she is a point guard and of any position the point guard has to take the most into consideration.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
No one is as synonymous with Minnesota women's basketball as Whalen.

But it feels like a roll of the dice with someone who has zero coaching experience. We'll see how it goes.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was wondering if this would affect Paige’s selection. Of course, I want her. But I’d rather see Paige at Minnesota than at Notre Dame.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
No one is as synonymous with Minnesota women's basketball as Whalen.

But it feels like a roll of the dice with someone who has zero coaching experience. We'll see how it goes.
but isn't any selection of an assistant (zero HC experience) a roll of the dice? Usually the step ups in lower to mid-major to P5s seem to have a better track record though as the Pitt situation proves, not always.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom