Minnesota beats LA for first place and the tie breaker 2-1 record | The Boneyard

Minnesota beats LA for first place and the tie breaker 2-1 record

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just watched the highlights and in the closing minutes MN got a rebound and Moore out hustled Nneka and Parker to the other end for a breakaway lay-up, having started about 20 feet closer to her own basket. I guess the Olympians are really struggling since they didn't get a chance to rest during the break! :) Nneka had been trying to back pedal and was late to turn, but Parker was just jogged back and never made an effort to keep up.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Just watched the highlights and in the closing minutes MN got a rebound and Moore out hustled Nneka and Parker to the other end for a breakaway lay-up, having started about 20 feet closer to her own basket. I guess the Olympians are really struggling since they didn't get a chance to rest during the break! :) Nneka had been trying to back pedal and was late to turn, but Parker was just jogged back and never made an effort to keep up.
Geno knew who to "pick" and who NOT to "pick"... :rolleyes:

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score

And her fg% was in the basement.

In other news, MoJeff lost a 2 point contest but was her team's high scorer, 9 for 9 at the stripe with 4 steals.

Reaction Score
I watched part of each game. (Have to watch replay of MN game as it got too late!)
I thought Mo looked a bit out of sync. Shots not falling and 4 TOs. Of course with the ever-changing lineup of that team, I guess that is not surprising. Saw in the box score that they claimed attendance of over 5800. Either they sold a lot of tickets that people didn't use but are counted in, or everyone was way up high - lots of empty seats visible!

Reaction Score
I watched the MN-LA game. The Lynx beat them worse than the score indicated. They led the whole game, and LA caught up 8-10 points in garbage time. Lynx have beat them twice in LA now.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Chelsea Gray with a breakout game..... 20 pts in 18 minutes :eek: 8 points in the last 29 seconds. Hopefully she has earned some more playing time.

8 points in 29 seconds is ridiculous :)

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
MN was ahead 12 points with less than 2 minutes left. They just did a sloppy job of containing in garbage time.

Oh, no comment on the game in the least but rather just on the idea of scoring 8 minutes in less than a half-minute :) I mean, it's hard enough to get 3 or 4 possessions in that amount of time, let alone score on all of them.

Reaction Score
Oh, no comment on the game in the least but rather just on the idea of scoring 8 minutes in less than a half-minute :) I mean, it's hard enough to get 3 or 4 possessions in that amount of time, let alone score on all of them.
Her last points were pretty spectacular - grabbed a loose ball after a scramble off an LA offensive miss, hurried out beyond the 3-point line, threw up a prayer and nailed it to bring them within 2. Not enough time left though - they had to foul and Whalen sunk 1 of 2 FT's to finish it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I watched most of the game. Every Minny player is out there with hustle and grit. Fowles was really good. They double teamed her most of the 1st half and she still found ways to contribute scoring a lot as well. Maya is Maya. Whalen is tough as nails. Brunson is really good. Augustus was just ok this game...And Minny has a terrific bench. Howard did a lot of little things and Monty and Perkins were also very solid. For LA, great effort by Chelsea Gray. Also, Nneka has a motor like Maya's - just doesn't quit. LOVE her game. Same can be said for Beard. Even Tolliver is a tenacious defender. Parker on the other hand...

I really focused in on her because this was one of the few televised games I was able to sit and watch most of the entire thing. There was not a more lazy player on the court than her. On defense, she barely follows her player around - usually just keeps her arm raised toward the person she's defending so it looks like she's doing something. Rarely rotates, rarely provides help side defense, really she plays "token" defense. HATES contact and will not defend if they are bodying her up. Unless she gets annoyed - then she flails around.

On offense, she also stands around. Demands the ball. Pouts when they don't pass it to her. Shows exasperation when a teammate misses a shot or a pass that she's involved in (ie. she passes the ball to a teammate who misses a shot, throws her arms up in exasperation, and starts walking or jogging (never sprinting) down the court to play "defense"). Whines constantly to the refs. One reason she has so many assists is because she stands out around the perimeter holding the ball in one hand. If/when she gets double teamed, she zings a pass to an open teammate. Bully for her, and you can't argue with her assists this year, but oh my - is the rest of her game (effort) lacking. The other thing she does really well is drive to the basket from somewhere around the 3 point line. She has an excellent handle for a player her size and uses that to her advantage when driving to the hoop.

Her style of play may get "oohs and aahs" when she does something spectacular, and she certainly has the talent to be one of the top players, but the lack of effort and the attitude is just so prevalent that it really holds her back. Just because someone has talent and basketball gifts does not make them a great player. She lacks an awful lot (based on my observation of her play in one of the biggest games of the season for them).

This is not to say that she can't turn it on from time to time, but until she gives 100% effort for a complete game, or whenever she's on the court, she has to be considered an average player with flashes of greatness. Not enough for someone of her caliber IMHO... For people who have watched her play this year, was this game an aberration or is it generally the way she plays? I find it hard to understand the lack of effort with the top seed on the line against the other best team in the league, but maybe she just had an off game...

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I watched most of the game. Every Minny player is out there with hustle and grit. Fowles was really good. They double teamed her most of the 1st half and she still found ways to contribute scoring a lot as well. Maya is Maya. Whalen is tough as nails. Brunson is really good. Augustus was just ok this game...And Minny has a terrific bench. Howard did a lot of little things and Monty and Perkins were also very solid. For LA, great effort by Chelsea Gray. Also, Nneka has a motor like Maya's - just doesn't quit. LOVE her game. Same can be said for Beard. Even Tolliver is a tenacious defender. Parker on the other hand...

I really focused in on her because this was one of the few televised games I was able to sit and watch most of the entire thing. There was not a more lazy player on the court than her. On defense, she barely follows her player around - usually just keeps her arm raised toward the person she's defending so it looks like she's doing something. Rarely rotates, rarely provides help side defense, really she plays "token" defense. HATES contact and will not defend if they are bodying her up. Unless she gets annoyed - then she flails around.

On offense, she also stands around. Demands the ball. Pouts when they don't pass it to her. Shows exasperation when a teammate misses a shot or a pass that she's involved in (ie. she passes the ball to a teammate who misses a shot, throws her arms up in exasperation, and starts walking or jogging (never sprinting) down the court to play "defense"). Whines constantly to the refs. One reason she has so many assists is because she stands out around the perimeter holding the ball in one hand. If/when she gets double teamed, she zings a pass to an open teammate. Bully for her, and you can't argue with her assists this year, but oh my - is the rest of her game (effort) lacking. The other thing she does really well is drive to the basket from somewhere around the 3 point line. She has an excellent handle for a player her size and uses that to her advantage when driving to the hoop.

Her style of play may get "oohs and aahs" when she does something spectacular, and she certainly has the talent to be one of the top players, but the lack of effort and the attitude is just so prevalent that it really holds her back. Just because someone has talent and basketball gifts does not make them a great player. She lacks an awful lot (based on my observation of her play in one of the biggest games of the season for them).

This is not to say that she can't turn it on from time to time, but until she gives 100% effort for a complete game, or whenever she's on the court, she has to be considered an average player with flashes of greatness. Not enough for someone of her caliber IMHO... For people who have watched her play this year, was this game an aberration or is it generally the way she plays? I find it hard to understand the lack of effort with the top seed on the line against the other best team in the league, but maybe she just had an off game...

Totally agree with you. And the question is, what is Parkers best as it really isn't that great. Thats why I had a problem with all the garbage about her being cut. You can tell the players that play hard even if they are not shooting well. Some people have a problem with Uconn players and the number of them on USA but there is a reason they are - the way they play. Close has stated on many occasions she wants her teams to play like Uconn. She just hasn't been able to get enough of those type of players.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I watched the SA end of game, and with 2.9 seconds left, ball out of bounds in the front court SA needed to use their last timeout because they couldn't get the ball in-bounds, and then after that timeout, they again failed and turned the ball over on a bad pass. Very pathetic.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
...Her style of play may get "oohs and aahs" when she does something spectacular, and she certainly has the talent to be one of the top players, but the lack of effort and the attitude is just so prevalent that it really holds her back. Just because someone has talent and basketball gifts does not make them a great player. She lacks an awful lot (based on my observation of her play in one of the biggest games of the season for them)...This is not to say that she can't turn it on from time to time, but until she gives 100% effort for a complete game, or whenever she's on the court, she has to be considered an average player with flashes of greatness.

My thoughts exactly. I haven't seen her often, but every time I do, I have to look very closely to see the superstar that others think they see. I have seen some of her interviews, and from that limited window, I came away impressed with her as a person. But being a good person won't, by itself, get you on Team USA. Neither will on-court efforts that look half-hearted.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Candace's body language was poor. Kristi's was for a while too. Nneka, on the other hand, kept hustling.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Candace's body language was poor. Kristi's was for a while too. Nneka, on the other hand, kept hustling.

I absolutely love Nneka's relentless attitude and hustle. She is the new Tamika Catchings, with even greater physical skills and so difficult to contain in the interior.

Reaction Score
Rebekkah Brunson recently became the WNBA all-time leader in career offensive rebounds, an underrated stat for an underappreciated player. She is currently well-poised to win her fifth WNBA championship. I don't know if anyone else has five rings.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Totally agree with you. And the question is, what is Parkers best as it really isn't that great. Thats why I had a problem with all the garbage about her being cut. You can tell the players that play hard even if they are not shooting well. Some people have a problem with Uconn players and the number of them on USA but there is a reason they are - the way they play. Close has stated on many occasions she wants her teams to play like Uconn. She just hasn't been able to get enough of those type of players.

So are you both trying to say Neka should have been on the Olympic team? :D

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I absolutely love Nneka's relentless attitude and hustle. She is the new Tamika Catchings, with even greater physical skills and so difficult to contain in the interior.
she's better than lil sis

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
she's better than lil sis
Chiney is good, but Nneka is better. I thought that Chiney would surpass Nneka at some point but it hasn't happened. We'll see after Chiney gets all the rust off. A key difference is that Nneka is a solid shooter from everywhere, including the arc and the FT line. And she gets the shots she wants, so she's at nearly 70%, which is a league record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom