Minnesota (12) @ Michigan - 12/31/18 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Minnesota (12) @ Michigan - 12/31/18

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I was talking about the first half debacle. I'm not sure if the BTN+ graphic works correctly for timeouts, but if Whalen had any left, she definitely needed to use them.
Sorry, that should have said 2Q. She called 2 timeouts. I don't blame her for not calling any more than that.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I tell ya, two of the biggest stories in this game are all the Minnesota turnovers and the fact that Taiye Bello, one of the national leaders in rebounding, only has 5 rebounds late in 3Q.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sorry, that should have said 2Q. She called 2 timeouts. I don't blame her for not calling any more than that.

I do not have BTN+ so I cant see the game. Curious about Whalen's demeanor during this blow out. I don't think she was very verbal as a player so how is she as a coach? Calm, chewing out the kids, throwing things/clothes?

Plebe

Reaction Score
I do not have BTN+ so I cant see the game. Curious about Whalen's demeanor during this blow out. I don't think she was very verbal as a player so how is she as a coach? Calm, chewing out the kids, throwing things/clothes?
I've barely gotten any glimpses of her. This is a student production and I think they're showing the same video as what the crowd is seeing in the arena.

Reaction Score

If she let's it turn into a blowout, what would be the purpose of saving them?

Reaction Score
Looks like they're finally kinda waking up?

A little too little, probably a little too late.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I tell ya, two of the biggest stories in this game are all the Minnesota turnovers and the fact that Taiye Bello, one of the national leaders in rebounding, only has 5 rebounds late in 3Q.

Weird stat line for Bello. 9-9 from the field but 7 TO. :confused:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Bello was well under her rebounding average (only 7) but she finished with 24 points on 9-9 shooting from the floor, the one Minnesota player who had a good offensive game.

Michigan is not a team to take lightly. They had 8 different players score 8 or more points. One of their co-leading scorers was a freshman, Amy Dilk, had 14 points and 5 assists. Another freshman, Naz Hillmon, came off the bench with 9 points and 8 rebounds, and caused a lot of havoc at the top of the press.

Reaction Score
Bello was well under her rebounding average (only 7) but she finished with 24 points on 9-9 shooting from the floor, the one Minnesota player who had a good offensive game.

Michigan is not a team to take lightly. They had 8 different players score 8 or more points. One of their co-leading scorers was a freshman, Amy Dilk, had 14 points and 5 assists. Another freshman, Naz Hillmon, came off the bench with 9 points and 8 rebounds, and caused a lot of havoc at the top of the press.
And, don’t they have a coach, who, with an undermanned squad, toppled the Goliath of the Big East back in 2012? Barnes Arico can coach

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score

NC State hasn't played the strongest OOC...but our wins over Michigan State and Michigan are looking better and better.

Reaction Score
And, don’t they have a coach, who, with an undermanned squad, toppled the Goliath of the Big East back in 2012? Barnes Arico can coach
For my money I would take Suzy Merchant of Michigan State before I would take Barnes Arico. Arico's Wolverine teams are only 5-10 against Merchant's Spartans, and Arico has a lower overall winning percentage and a lower Big 10 conference winning percentage while at Michigan compared to Merchant at MSU. (.650 versus .680, .550 versus .645). Arico is only 1 year younger than Merchant and has only 1 year less as a head coach 23 yrs versus 24 for Merchant. Arico has 7 years at Michigan while Merchant has 12 years at MSU. Arico's annual compensation appears to be higher than Merchant's. Base salaries are actually quite similar, but Arico gets more money from TV/Radio and bonuses than Merchant.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
NC State hasn't played the strongest OOC...but our wins over Michigan State and Michigan are looking better and better.

Thursday night.... thursday night... thursday night :mad:

Reaction Score
For my money I would take Suzy Merchant of Michigan State before I would take Barnes Arico. Arico's Wolverine teams are only 5-10 against Merchant's Spartans, and Arico has a lower overall winning percentage and a lower Big 10 conference winning percentage while at Michigan compared to Merchant at MSU. (.650 versus .680, .550 versus .645). Arico is only 1 year younger than Merchant and has only 1 year less as a head coach 23 yrs versus 24 for Merchant. Arico has 7 years at Michigan while Merchant has 12 years at MSU. Arico's annual compensation appears to be higher than Merchant's. Base salaries are actually quite similar, but Arico gets more money from TV/Radio and bonuses than Merchant.
No quibble with Merchant.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'll just say this - Barnes-Arico is one of a group of women's coaches that are clearly talented, successful to a degree, but don't really stand out from each other. Most of them have never made the Final Four, few have made the Elite-Eight, but yet they win, compete and pull the occasional upset. Nothing wrong with that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom