Mind-boggling | The Boneyard

Mind-boggling

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
The interesting thread about Mount Rushmore got me to thinking but didn't want to interrupt that discussion so I'm posting this in a new thread.

We are in year 33 of the Auriemma era. Roughly halfway through is the year 2000, a year we would win yet another national championship and just prior to the introduction of a brash kid we call Dee.

Imagine him able to go back to that year and talk to the fans. They know this team has become one of the recognized powerhouses in the sport, making the NCAA tournament 10 of the last 12 years, to national championships last six years including a rare undefeated season, and a recent recruiting class, dubbed the task force, widely acknowledged to be one of the best recruiting classes in women's basketball history:

TASSK force:
  • Tamika Williams
  • Asjha Jones
  • Sue Bird
  • Swin Cash
  • Kiersten Walters

Three UConn players have been honored to be named the AP women's college basketball player of the year:

• Rebecca Lobo
  • Jennifer Rizzotti
  • Kara Wolters

According to Phil's law of time travel (which I just made up) you can't tell them all about the future but you can only tell them two facts.

Here is what you choose to tell them:

In 2017, Geno is still coaching and has not yet hinted about retirement

In 2017, fans will be talking about the best four players in the UConn history, and the three national players of the year and the five members of the task force don't make the list. (In fairness, there are some who would include Sue Bird but this is definitely being rivaled by Lou at the moment.

How mind-boggling! And in no way is this a put down of the incredible careers of those eight players who contributed so much to the dynasty; rather to paraphrase Newton, they are the giants who enabled the future success of the program which would carry it to even greater heights.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting thoughts and it is a little mind boggling. But ... while it hasn't been focused on in the other thread, many have included Lobo (one of those three NPOY) on the Uconn mountain since the first time such a concept was brought up.

Reaction Score
The interesting thread about Mount Rushmore got me to thinking but didn't want to interrupt that discussion so I'm posting this in a new thread.

We are in year 33 of the Auriemma era. Roughly halfway through is the year 2000, a year we would win yet another national championship and just prior to the introduction of a brash kid we call Dee.

Imagine him able to go back to that year and talk to the fans. They know this team has become one of the recognized powerhouses in the sport, making the NCAA tournament 10 of the last 12 years, to national championships last six years including a rare undefeated season, and a recent recruiting class, dubbed the task force, widely acknowledged to be one of the best recruiting classes in women's basketball history:

TASSK force:
  • Tamika Williams
  • Asjha Jones
  • Sue Bird
  • Swin Cash
  • Kiersten Walters

Three UConn players have been honored to be named the AP women's college basketball player of the year:

• Rebecca Lobo
  • Jennifer Rizzotti
  • Kara Wolters

According to Phil's law of time travel (which I just made up) you can't tell them all about the future but you can only tell them two facts.

Here is what you choose to tell them:

In 2017, Geno is still coaching and has not yet hinted about retirement

In 2017, fans will be talking about the best four players in the UConn history, and the three national players of the year and the five members of the task force don't make the list. (In fairness, there are some who would include Sue Bird but this is definitely being rivaled by Lou at the moment.

How mind-boggling! And in no way is this a put down of the incredible careers of those eight players who contributed so much to the dynasty; rather to paraphrase Newton, they are the giants who enabled the future success of the program which would carry it to even greater heights.

TASSK : Walters never really played. You missed the GREATEST part of GENO. He kept her on a 4 year scholarship with minimal BB from her. He had done that a dozen times in his 33 year stint. More that being a National Championship coach---He should be honored for being an National Champion compassionate person/coach. Some one who does searches should pull up all like K. Walters Geno cared about.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I know the subject of this thread is "Mount Rushmore", but because I saw a link in NAN's "UConn in the news for Jan 4" that listed a story that I think is absolutely mind boggling, I put it here. I thought I'd post it here again in case anyone missed it. A rare quadruple double :eek: posted by Shakla Hill of Grambling State. Only the 4th one in NCAA women's hoops history, and the first one in nearly 25 years. Even Sabrina Ionescu as great as she is at posting triple doubles, hasn't posted one of these yet.

IMO, the hardest of the quad doubles to get is the 10 steals. Most players would foul out before getting 10 steals. You've got to have quick feet, quick hands and excellent timing to pull that one off.
[Story]

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom