Miller Instant Starter? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Miller Instant Starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
You forgot Taliek Brown. Ricky More, Tyler Olander, Linehan, Wolfe. All bona fide offensive greats because they were in a final four.

Reaction Score
What is bizarre?

All of these guy played in Final Fours. They were great in college also.
When a player gets to a certain level, then he has to be compared with other player who got to the same level. The point was simple. Compared to the other Final Four players, Okafor's "Offensive" game was not impressive.
So you're ignoring all of Okafor's college stats because your list of hall of fame players once made the final four? I really don't understand why you took that route to help your argument because it makes no sense.

Reaction Score
With his size and offensive skill, he's going to be able to stretch the defense and create space for Hamilton, Purvis and Adams. This is a nice compliment to the team. I don't want to make the comparison, but Giffy just comes to mind with his size and touch with the ball. We needed this bad, very happy tonight.

Does anyone know if we are done for 2015 recruiting or is there one more?

Giffey, i would imagine, is a better comp for his make up (hopefully) than his game. He shot 30%/20%/26% from 3 in his 3 years and although Giffey was not a marksman until Sr year, he was better than that. I do see what you are saying in that he should be a guy that can give solid minutes and contribute on D, on the glass and as a space creator outside the line. Rebounding stats tend to translate from level to level (or so seems to be the common basketball knowledge, I've never seen the #'s), so I feel comfortable that he can average 6-7 boards a game (minutes depending, maybe 8 or 9 if we are being greedy) and I would hope KO told him to shoot 1,000 3's a day this summer. Adams/Hamilton/Purvis while talented are 3 ball dominant players and you need guys like Brimah and Miller (yes, i know they are completely different players, but Brimah will touch the ball about as frequently as miller, or closer to him than the other 3) to glue them together.

Bottom line-any addition to this front-court with even a modicum of talent is going to help. A 5th year kid who presumably has a decent head on his shoulders, knows how to rebound and is solid on D is darn near perfect if he shoots 36%+ from 3.

Reaction Score
You forgot Taliek Brown. Ricky More, Tyler Olander, Linehan, Wolfe. All bona fide offensive greats because they were in a final four.
Well Ricky first half vs Duke was great in my opinion.

Reaction Score
View attachment 9282
I don't think ball-handling is going to be as much of a problem next year as it was this year, even if the staff is unable to add another guard. I suspect Hamilton will be more than adequate as a secondary ball-handler next season, and Purvis made big strides in that area towards the end of the season.
I suspect that will be the case. Panic isn't necessary, yet another ball handler brings security and more importantly relief to Adams. However much of this is dependent on the improvement of the existing players. And this past season proved that 'major' improvements are not automatic or to be taken for granted.

With that said not too many freshman can be counted on as reliable ball handlers anyway on a Div 1 level. Therefore it would probably have to be a transfer to meet this 'immediate' need.

Reaction Score
As someone said, Miller wouldn't have committed to play one year at UConn if he was told he'd be a backup PF. I think Ollie is assuming Miller will come in and start. Facey will still see decent minutes at the 4 and Nolan will give us some good minutes at the 5. I see Enoch playing between 15 and 20 minutes next year. Once Nolan is gone he'll see increased minutes. And once Facey and Brimah graduate, he'll be playing 30+ minutes. So, yeah, I think Miller should and will be an instant starter.
There is no way Ollie told him that he would start at PF. More likely Miller didn't feel threatened by what he saw at UConn and liked the vibe.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
So let's see Mr. Basketball,
I made the statement that I never was impressed by Okafor's offensive game.
So, why don't we take a historic look at some other player's who made it to the Final Four.
Wilt Chamberlain, Larry Bird, Camelo Anthony, Akeem the dream, Pat Ewing, James Worthy,
Larry Johnson, Kareem, Bill Walton, Jerry Lucas, Micheal Jordan, Derrick Coleman, Chris Mullins,
Magic Johnson, Isiah Thomas to name but a few. And then tell me all about Okafor's great offensive game.

Why not include Ralph Sampson on this list as someone who reached a level in college that never did as a pro? two different games.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
"bananas aren't a fruit because they can't ride a bike", while relevant in the context of this thread, is arguably the most comical thing ever said on the Boneyard.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
"bananas aren't a fruit because they can't ride a bike", while relevant in the context of this thread, is arguably the most comical thing ever said on the Boneyard.
Post avatar

Reaction Score
Just thinking that with there being a high probability that Miller starts at PF, and with Enoch coming in and backing up both the center and PF positions, that it'd be a good thing for both the team and Facey to red-shirt this year. Plus you have Nolan in the mix backing up both C and PF positions. Facey's playing time may get reduced from starter minutes to 5 mpg.

Facey, sitting out a year, could come back in 2016 with 2 years left and fill the holes in the frontcourt (Nolan, Miller...possibly DHam and Brimah) as a two-year starter. I think he showed flashes last year of talent and has a lot of potential...no point in wasting that potential getting garbage time minutes next year.

Reaction Score
Just thinking that with there being a high probability that Miller starts at PF, and with Enoch coming in and backing up both the center and PF positions, that it'd be a good thing for both the team and Facey to red-shirt this year. Plus you have Nolan in the mix backing up both C and PF positions. Facey's playing time may get reduced from starter minutes to 5 mpg.

Facey, sitting out a year, could come back in 2016 with 2 years left and fill the holes in the frontcourt (Nolan, Miller...possibly DHam and Brimah) as a two-year starter. I think he showed flashes last year of talent and has a lot of potential...no point in wasting that potential getting garbage time minutes next year.
I don't see Ollie redshirting Facey in any situation this year. If anyone is going to be redshirted (I don't think they will be because with 5 bigs we have 25 fouls to give, which we certainly need - see AAC championship game) it would be the freshman Enoch.

Reaction Score
Yeah, you're probably both right.

I wouldn't mind seeing Enoch redshirt instead of Facey, but the downside is that Enoch would be a better backup to Amida at center than Facey and/or Nolan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom