Millen's Athleticism | The Boneyard

Millen's Athleticism

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
No, not the run. Although the straight line speed was a nice surprise. #3 and the rest of FIU defense went full in on the hand off and Millen took off. Great read.

I'm talking about the play which had all of us shaking our heads and holding our breath right up to the last 2" of ball flight which Turner snagged for the TD. When Millen caught the flip on the reverse, he had a defender in the backfield who had Millen dead to rights. Millen, while in stride, did a hip shake and lifted the ball up with one hand to avoid the hit, got back in stride and threw the pass across his body to Turner. Millen made that move in the backfield look much simpler and much more basic than it was. Impressive athleticism.

Reaction Score
No, not the run. Although the straight line speed was a nice surprise. #3 and the rest of FIU defense went full in on the hand off and Millen took off. Great read.

I'm talking about the play which had all of us shaking our heads and holding our breath right up to the last 2" of ball flight which Turner snagged for the TD. When Millen caught the flip on the reverse, he had a defender in the backfield who had Millen dead to rights. Millen, while in stride, did a hip shake and lifted the ball up with one hand to avoid the hit, got back in stride and threw the pass across his body to Turner. Millen made that move in the backfield look much simpler and much more basic than it was. Impressive athleticism.

QBs are generally the best athletes on the team. Oregon tried to make him into a tight end.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Tight ends.

Need to be big, strong, fast and skilled. They aren't the top in any of those categories...but they are the only ones near the top in all of those categories.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
WRs, every athletic kid growing up wants to be a star wideout. The ones who can’t cut it move to other positions.

Reaction Score
I’ve always believed the third most valuable member of a football team is the kicker. Whether salvaging points from a stalled drive or having the talent and composure to kick the winning points at games end, they often provide the critical difference in wins and losses. Remember the angst we felt when our kicker Joe McFadden was lost for the year? The accuracy of Noe Ruelas has been incredibly consistent. Thank goodness we’ve been able to successfully overcome what could have been a disaster.

Reaction Score
You are about 30 years too late in believing QB's are "generally" the best athletes on FBS rosters. Not even close anymore.

QBs are generally the best athletes on high school rosters. By the time they reach college they are converted to RB, DB, LB, TE, etc.

Tyler Davis came to UConn as a HS QB, now with the Packers as a TE.
Darius Butler came to UConn as HS QB and had a long career with the Colts.

Reaction Score
From a combination of size, speed and strength, defensive ends are definitely the best athletes in college/NFL. Some of those guys are insane athletes. See Bosa's, Garrett, Clowney... McCarthy, Watts, etc

Reaction Score
From a combination of size, speed and strength, defensive ends are definitely the best athletes in college/NFL. Some of those guys are insane athletes. See Bosa's, Garrett, Clowney... McCarthy, Watts, etc

But can they throw a deep ball accurately, read a defense, throw on the run, run for 100 yards a game, handle the ball 66 times a game and almost never make a mistake? Even the bad ones are better than a WR or a RB filling in. They have a superior level of body control and decision making.

QBs on high school teams are almost always the best athletes on the team. By the time they get to college they are even more specialized but nobody else on the team can do what they do. Unless you are UConn and have a terrible history at the position and Steve Krajewski is your starter.

Reaction Score
But can they throw a deep ball accurately, read a defense, throw on the run, run for 100 yards a game, handle the ball 66 times a game and almost never make a mistake? Even the bad ones are better than a WR or a RB filling in. They have a superior level of body control and decision making.

QBs on high school teams are almost always the best athletes on the team. By the time they get to college they are even more specialized but nobody else on the team can do what they do. Unless you are UConn and have a terrible history at the position and Steve Krajewski is your starter.
Those are skills developed specifically for the QB, so why would other positions be able to do them? Aside from running 100 yards a game, where there are usually multiple people ahead of the QB in that category. The definition of athlete talks about strength, agility, and stamina. Tom Brady is perhaps the best football player of all time and at QB, but he would not be even the 10,000th best athlete who ever played football.

Reaction Score
Those are skills developed specifically for the QB, so why would other positions be able to do them? Aside from running 100 yards a game, where there are usually multiple people ahead of the QB in that category. The definition of athlete talks about strength, agility, and stamina. Tom Brady is perhaps the best football player of all time and at QB, but he would not be even the 10,000th best athlete who ever played football.

You don’t know that. If he decided to play a different position he would have developed differently.

All of those QBs were too athletes on their team at some point. A bad athlete cannot develop into a Hall of Fame QB.

This should be obvious to all. But I guess not.

Reaction Score
You don’t know that. If he decided to play a different position he would have developed differently.

All of those QBs were too athletes on their team at some point. A bad athlete cannot develop into a Hall of Fame QB.

This should be obvious to all. But I guess not.
Athletic potential has zero to do with if a person is an athlete or not, or better yet the better athlete.

The fact is that I'm not saying Tom Brady is a bad athlete, I'm saying he is a bad athlete when compared to the athletic abilities of any other position and a vast majority of players in the NFL. He still managed to have a pretty damn great career at QB, as do many others with comparative athleticism at QB.

I can't think of another position where that regularly happens in football, but it happens quite often at QB.

You could also look at the combine, which measures athleticism directly and see that RB, WR, DE, CB, S are all positions that are far more athletic than QB.

Reaction Score
Athletic potential has zero to do with if a person is an athlete or not, or better yet the better athlete.

The fact is that I'm not saying Tom Brady is a bad athlete, I'm saying he is a bad athlete when compared to the athletic abilities of any other position and a vast majority of players in the NFL. He still managed to have a pretty damn great career at QB, as do many others with comparative athleticism at QB.

I can't think of another position where that regularly happens in football, but it happens quite often at QB.

You could also look at the combine, which measures athleticism directly and see that RB, WR, DE, CB, S are all positions that are far more athletic than QB.
How many guys that couldn’t cut it at say WR, become QBs?

None right? There you go. I’m done here.

Reaction Score

Since when was reading a defense an athletic ability? That has more to do with your Mental ability, not physical LMAO

Reaction Score
How many guys that couldn’t cut it at say WR, become QBs?

None right? There you go. I’m done here.
Not many and that's because being a good QB has a lot less to do with athleticism and a lot more to do with mental knowledge and processing. If being a QB was all about being a great athlete, then pretty much any other position would be able to drop in there. You sort of proved the point there, but not yours.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom