OT: - Mile time | The Boneyard

OT: Mile time

Reaction Score
I don’t run. I don’t like running.

My wife took up running ~4 years ago, loved it so much that it’s a major passion: she’s completed four marathons and can’t wait to do her next.

Back to me, I’m 36, stay active and work out regularly (never do dedicated cardio save for a 3 mile hilly walking loop in my neighborhood) but I haven’t “run a mile” since high school and today had the random urge to try timing myself at a full mile, just for s’s and g’s.

Expecting an awful time (double entendre), I ran it faster than I expected, 8:05, which included some elevation change a some dodging of twilight traffic.

Didn’t enjoy it though, but I respect the Boneyarders here who do it regularly.

So, runners out there: what’s your mile time?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

My wife took up running ~4 years ago, loved it so much that it’s a major passion: she’s completed four marathons and can’t wait to do her next.

Back to me, I’m 36, stay active and work out regularly (never do dedicated cardio save for a 3 mile hilly walking loop in my neighborhood) but I haven’t “run a mile” since high school and today had the random urge to try timing myself at a full mile, just for s’s and g’s.

Expecting an awful time (double entendre), I ran it faster than I expected, 8:05, which included some elevation change a some dodging of twilight traffic.

The only time I officially ran a mile was in fourth grade for the national presidential fitness test. I had a time of 7:17.

Side bar: I went to a small private school that year and they had a down year so I when I did my fifth and final event (the shuttle run) I think they rounded down my time slightly to make sure they had at least one student get to the presidential fitness level.

Reaction Score
Now, my mile is about 7:30. I'm 30. When I was competing in boxing until 4 years ago, I was running 10k at least 3 times a week and my mile time was generally around 6:00.

8:05 is good for someone who isn't running much at 36 though. Keep at it!

It's crazy how fast kids can run. When I was coaching MIDDLE SCHOOL track because no one else in my school had a coaching license to do it, I had multiple kids every year breaking a 5:00 mile.

Reaction Score

You are more athletic than I. Im a decade older and id like to blame my slower times on age, but i know plenty who are older than I who run 7:30 all day.

8:05 is plenty fast. Faster than i. I hover around 9:30. If I'm running a lot of miles (5 times/week) I'll get to 9ish consistently. If I'm not running a ton (2 times/week) I'll be closer to 10.

In 2018 I ran 1 mile in the 6 min range. I was runnimg a ton in 2018, but I was still shocked. It was mile 2 in a Thanksgiving Day 10k in Phoenix. I think I passed about 100 people in that stretch.

So I'm not setting any records.... but I'm pretty content with it.

Reaction Score
I took up running and lost major weight - Always start slow - Been dealing with a weird injury where had some knee discomfort - and my shoe felt like it was on the wrong foot even though everything was working - its like my arch / heal nerves are shot. - Took up bike riding but if anyone knows running injuries. But 8 min @40

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I can no longer even run to first base. But last time I did, it was still under 20 seconds, even after pulling a hammy.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
Like you, I had this urge earlier this year. I can’t believe I used to run sub-6:00 before I hit puberty. I’m so washed up

District-Husky

Casual DC Fan
Reaction Score
That’s a good time. Keep doing it.

I’m 53. Started running at 35 for mental health reasons (running clears your mind). I run 3-4 times a week between 4-10 miles each run. Average between 8-10 minute miles depending on time of day, weather, if I’m running with someone. Sweet spot for me is June at 5:30 AM. I hate the cold so my winter runs are miserable, infrequent, and slow.

Reaction Score

LOOK AT ME AND MY NICE MILE TIME!!!

Reaction Score
Funny that you bring this up today. I do not ever remember timing myself for 1 mile before this past weekend. However, this past weekend I was jogging with an eighth grade friend of mine to help him get ready for JROTC. I clocked in just under 10 minutes for 1 mile on a high school track. It was his first day ever for jogging, so we were not pushing extremely hard (Plus, I’m old as dirt.) When I was in the military, we used to do timed 2 mile events. The best time I remember for 2 miles was 12:12. I also have run several marathons, only one that I trained for, so I know my time for 26.2 miles.

I used to date a woman whose son was a good high school runner. He had one of the fastest times ever for our state which I believe was at 4:14. He went on to run for a division one school.

A little bit off the topic of the time for a 1 mile run but - my son and I walked the Appalachian Trail this past year. His best single day, carrying a far to heavy backpack, in the mountainous southern Maine, was an unbelievable 54.7 miles, or 113,646 steps.

Attachments

• D7602BD2-3818-47B3-979D-13541E433929.jpeg
    D7602BD2-3818-47B3-979D-13541E433929.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 697FA4CC-660D-49CE-B148-B251094A6721.jpeg
    697FA4CC-660D-49CE-B148-B251094A6721.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 54
Reaction Score

I could run a 5 minute 1600 in 6th grade, now I couldn't even run it in 10 minutes.

Reaction Score
Wish I ran in school; instead was a mediocre at best at baseball.
Turned out I could run. The company I worked for had a track team and I ran middle distance. Peaked in my early 30’s. Best times 4:46 mile, 2:06 for 800M. Also ran a 2:54 marathon. Yes, I’m bragging, but you need to put in the work. The marathon required 60 miles per week for 6 months, with speed work and weekly 20 milers at 7 minutes per mile.
To run fast on the track required many intense speed workouts like 400M repeats under a minute.
Collected some road race hardware in 10Ks and the like.
All that was tough on the knees, multiple surgeries etc. Quit running a few years ago, now road biking is my thing.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Played soccer in HS. We had to do 2 miles under 12 minutes in practice on a regular basis. I crushed the mile run - 4:50 was my record. Tried to run a mile 2 years ago - 8:00.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I ran a 5K (~3.1 miles) three years ago (age 42) at a 7:43 pace. I was very proud of myself.

The only times I ever ran a timed mile as a kid I ran a 5:45 and a 6:18 — but that 5:45 was hinky (not on a track).

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Never was much of a runner. I always said that I only want to run 96 feet, and there better be a hoop and backboard at the end of that run.

That said, back when I was 46 my daughter got me into karate (long story short - she won a Father's Day essay contest at the dojo and I got 6 months free). The dojo every month had a timed mile run, and you had to do it under 9 minutes to qualify to move up a belt if you were testing that month. I got so that I could consistently go just under 8 minutes, and that was up until about age 54. Now, 9 years later, if I go for a run I'm in the 10-minute range, at best. If I go for a run.

Some of you dudes are fast.

Reaction Score
I hate running. I averaged about 10 minutes in a half iron man in 2018. Last time I put an effort in.

Reaction Score
Two weeks ago I ran an 8:18 mile … but it was a legit BEER MILE. Chug a Budweiser, 1/4 mile, chug another, run another 1/4 mile, chug, run, chug, run. I don’t run much, but lots of mtbing and drinking at age 52.

I’m impressed by the fella that ran a 5 min mile in 6th grade. Especially since the world record for an 11 year old is 4:51:85. World class times on the BY!

Reaction Score
I was never much for running either. I started running about 10 years ago in my 50s. My knee started locking up and my doctor told me to stop running which was fine with me. I never ran more than a few miles.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom