Mikey Williams signs with Excel Sports for NIL deal expected to 'generate millions' for high school basketball star | The Boneyard

Mikey Williams signs with Excel Sports for NIL deal expected to 'generate millions' for high school basketball star

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Good for him. Funny that if he is a NBA 2nd rounder he will be taking a big pay cut.

The endorsement money wont suddenly stop....it'll just be additive.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Remember when singers and artists who worked their whole lives building a brand and steadily building a reputation started getting passed over with the big contracts for the new up and coming artists?

Same thing going to happen here.

Reaction Score
Would anyone be surprised if we start seeing more of a European soccer model in US basketball? I don’t think it would work with football, but I can see the basketball teams coming up with academies and paying/locking-up kids as early teens. There will be challenges (draft and salary cap to keep some parity?), but it seems possible.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
NIL opens the doors for slime balls to take advantage of kids and their families. Hopefully they get the right guidance.

More like shines the light. No need to hide what was already going on with slimeballs. If anything it allows legit people to enter a game only slimeballs were playing.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Would anyone be surprised if we start seeing more of a European soccer model in US basketball? I don’t think it would work with football, but I can see the basketball teams coming up with academies and paying/locking-up kids as early teens. There will be challenges (draft and salary cap to keep some parity?), but it seems possible.

You mean what Ollie is doing?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Nothing is for free. When a lot of these kids don’t pan out we will see the ugly side of all of this.

Well, duh. It already happens with child actors, singers, etc.

We can crack on how unprepared most of these kids are to handle what is coming their way. The unmentioned part is their legal guardians are just as badly prepared if not worse than the kids to negotiate on their behalf.

Only difference now is if mierta hits the fan, there is legal recourse. Whereas before it was all the black market and you just lost.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
This is a perfect case for why it was needed. He should be able to monetize what he’s already doing and the positive economic impact he’s having for a bunch of media channels, even if he doesn’t end up being a first rounder for whatever reasons when all is said and done.

Reaction Score
You mean what Ollie is doing?
Somewhat. That's also a sign, but I think you'll see more direct affiliations with the NBA teams so the player is nurtured (and locked up) with the team's control. As they get older they either keep them locked up, cut them loose, or sell them to other organizations. There can still be a place for an Overtime Elite selling their players (or getting a cut), but they'll have to start getting players even earlier.

Somewhat contradicting myself, I actually think the NIL can somewhat save college basketball and can hurt Overtime Elite's model. I know some kids aren't cut out for school, but I'd rather have a blast as a campus star for a year or two while getting paid, and then be a "free sign" when I come out of the draft. That sounds better than playing other AAU teams in small gyms. I also haven't been able to see if Overtime Elite gets a cut of future compensation that the player makes. If one of their players is drafted, does Overtime Elite get a cut of the NBA contract?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I think it will end if he isn't a top star.
I can assure you that’s false. He doesn’t have 3.2M followers because he’s good at basketball. He has 3.2M because of his marketing engine, as long as that continues to run well he’ll be fine. Regardless of what happens with basketball.

Reaction Score
I can assure you that’s false. He doesn’t have 3.2M followers because he’s good at basketball. He has 3.2M because of his marketing engine, as long as that continues to run well he’ll be fine. Regardless of what happens with basketball.

I still disagree with you but the 3.2 million followers is impressive

Reaction Score
The unmentioned part is their legal guardians are just as badly prepared if not worse than the kids to negotiate on their behalf.
Yup. Broke people dont know about money and contracts and many of these kids are going to get bad advice and taken advantage of.

Reaction Score
Yup. Broke people dont know about money and contracts and many of these kids are going to get bad advice and taken advantage of.
It's not just kids in high school. Look at Antoine Walker, Kareem, and a host of other adults that went bankrupt doing deals with people promising big returns on real estate, businesses, etc.
And, Donyell Marshall was used by his close friends from high school until he decided one day it wasn't his job to support them.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
This is a perfect case for why it was needed. He should be able to monetize what he’s already doing and the positive economic impact he’s having for a bunch of media channels, even if he doesn’t end up being a first rounder for whatever reasons when all is said and done.
Its so funny how in today’s day and age he can profit off this.

He literally provides nothing besides the high likelihood his agency can profit off him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom