Mike Olt | The Boneyard

Mike Olt

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I think Mike Olt may end up being an All-Star. Just reading up on him, watching video, checking his stats. Nobody in Texas expected his glove to be as great as it is, his bat is practically ML-ready and he is pulling the ball a lot less. Question is, where do they put him?

I think he's a major piece in a trade this year and they sell high.

Reaction Score
Now that the Mets have put this Madoff thing behind themselves they could trade for him. Their GM has said, yesterday, they wish to build from within. Getting Olt, and working him up would be a great start. With Harvey & Olt you would have 2 CT kids. And, with CT being 90% Yanks & Sox, some Mets interest in CT can develope.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Where would the Mets put Olt? Wright and Davis could have the corner infield positions locked up for at least a few more years.

Reaction Score
Unlike basketball, location of where you played college ball matters jack to the general public. Most people in baseball didn't even go to college.

Mike Olt will probably end up going to some low-tier team as the Rangers make a trade for whatever they need down the stretch (probably pitching...). I could see him ending up in Seattle, Houston, Pirates, Miami, Dodgers...somewhere like that. Actually, the Dodgers would be a fantastic fit for Olt now that I think about it.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Hopefully Olt ends up in Houston so that we can consolidate our UConn alums onto one team so that we have a clear team to cheer for and follow as the team brings up all the young players and they grow together. Would love to watch Spring and Olt in the top half of the Astros lineup in 2 years (maybe they can draft Mazilli for us this year too)!

I could see Olt being the key piece of a trade from Texas to Houston in order for the Rangers to acquire Wandy Rodriguez (they are desperate for quality starters and Wandy would be a great 3rd or 4th guy in the rotation) in the middle of the penant race (Houston would love to get rid of Rodriguez's contract and get some young talent back). And with the Astros switching from the NL to the AL, it will give Olt even more opportunity as the Astros haven't had to plan for a DH spot (they can shift one of their other CI to the DH spot).

Reaction Score
Where would the Mets put Olt? Wright and Davis could have the corner infield positions locked up for at least a few more years.
I do believe Wright's contract is up at the end of this year. Big spenders the Met's aren't, they might let David walk, a la Reyes, and Olt should be major league ready next April at baseball's minimum salary.

mets1090

Reaction Score
I really doubt the Mets let him walk. They finally settled the Madoff thing so hopefully their finances will rebound at least a little bit. And if Wright walks Citi will be a ghost town

Reaction Score
You have more faith in the Wilpons than I do. Fortunately, it was one of Mr. Doubleday's last acts as Mets owner to grab Piazza. Wilpon wanted no part of him at that time.
Omar Manya grabbed several expensive free agents. Unfortunately Pedro, Beltran & Santanna (trade) were injury prone. Wilpon won't take many chances. Reyes had a number of recent injuries. Thus, no real offer to keep him. Wright has had several recent injuries. As a result, Wilpon could let him walk and make every excuse in the book for not keeping him.
I watched a few spring trainings the other day from St Lucie. A lot of empty seats. Not so in Red Sox & Yankee spring training. I expect Citi field to be a ghost stadium anyways this year.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Pretty much agree on every point. I won't be going to any games this year. Partly because the product will suck, mainly because I hate the Wilpons and refuse to give them any of my money. I hope they have to sell the team within the next year or two. Having said that, I think it would be foolish to let David Wright walk and I don't think they will after letting Reyes go. They'll have Bay and Santana coming off the books soon enough so financial issues should be a little less hamstringing.

Also, I believe Wright is signed through 2013. Santana and Bay are signed through (again, I think) 2014. I believe they will try to sign Wright to another long term deal and let Santana and Bay walk after 2014. That clears up the books and hopefully the whole financial fiasco will be behind them so money won't be an issue.

Still though, I hope they sell the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom