Mike Cummings accepts UCONN OC opportunity | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mike Cummings accepts UCONN OC opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My take from that quote is Cummings doesn't want those 6 minutes of stretching to take up practice time, he wants to get the most out of each and every practice. Get the stretching done before the practice time.
That's what I took from it too after watching the video.

Reaction Score
Maybe Griffey would've had less of an injury plagued career if he had stretched.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2169136

Edit: And just after I write this his son catches his first TD pass against BC.....

And what about his lifetime before the injuries where he didn't stretch but was arguably the greatest player of this generation and maybe ever. His injuries started happening in his 30s. Its the natural bell curve of aging (I believe the age is 31-32) where a player starts to decline and break down. He is a prime example of a baseball player not taking steroids or HGH. If he had he wouldn't have had those injury plagued seasons IMO.

Injuries had less to do with stretching and more to do with your body being in game playing condition. More reps and more time playing and you avoid injury which is what illegal substances are more used for than strength. It allows quicker recover and getting over injuries and back to pre injury performance levels while it also prolongs your career which equals more possible money made.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I Norm Macdonald? What the hell is his name -mind freeze, the OC for the Dallas Cowboys under Jimmy Johnson, went on to be a mediocre head coach. Norm something. .

Norv Eugene Turner. The 6th coolest person to come from Martinez, CA.

1. CAHUSKY
2. Joe DiMaggio
3. John Muir
4. Jeff VanGundy
5. Maurice Bernard (morales)
6. Norv Turner

Ps. We disowned norv after that game. Go Niners.

Reaction Score
Ken Griffey Jr had the same philosophy and said the same thing.

"Why should I stretch? Does a cheetah stretch before it chases its prey?" (Sports Illustrated, 1999)

Wasn't Griffey an injury waiting to happen?

Reaction Score
I do have blind faith, because I don't know nuthin bout nuthin. I'm just saying this isn't an elite destination for highly successful OC. I wish TJ wanted to stay on but he didn't. I kind of liked the way our offense started to shape up toward the end. But I'm also encouraged by the success that the CMU offense had in 2012. It's not easy recruiting or succeeding in the MAC, and it won't be in the AAC either. It's gonna be brutal, in fact. So, we are going to need what BD is bringing in: people who are either young and hungry or people who are experienced in this kind of recruiting environment....

Well, I don't have blind faith when it looks like he may have hired somewhat of a dud.

Reaction Score
Many studies have shown that stretching BEFORE exercising adds no value, bout could cause injury.

After your muscles and ligaments are warm is the best time to stretch.

I do some light jogging and then I stretch. Saying he can save 6 minutes and using the dog analogy is strange.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Really hoping we don't have a single injury on the offensive side of the ball next year just so we can avoid the "was it because our OC doesn't believe in stretching" thread...

Reaction Score
There is a mountain of evidence supporting the assertion that stretching is a waste of time. It actually can do you harm if you aren't warmed up thoroughly beforehand.

Correct. What type of stretching matters. Active stretching practiced by elite runners is much different than the old school static. But incorporating the correct movements into warmups shouldn't be considered a waste of time.

That said I don't think the quote impacts whether or not he can coach one bit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No - the game is won or lost by players, always. Coaches coach, and players play, but the game is always won or lost by the players on the field. Where the actual play calling falls in the pecking order of what it takes to win football games, is pretty low. I'm not changing my mind on this.

Well Carl, Stanford proved my point. Those play calls on both 4th downs cost them dearly. All of us watching that game said running straight ahead (after failing repeatedly to do so in the 2nd half) was suicide. The best call was to fake the run and have Hogan run to the left for the first down. Watch the replay. The game was on the line, MSU had stacked the defense and had its LB's propelling through the air at the handoff. It was doomed from the snap. Those Stanford 4th down calls were born of hubris rather than intelligence. Stanford lost that game with GDL play calling. They were the better team.
And it was coaching and play calling that made MSU's #41 into a better player. His play at the end would have been a failure had Stanford made the right call.

Reaction Score
Getting back to the topic of this thread, welcome Mike Cummings. When will we get our WR coach?

pj

Reaction Score
Meanwhile there is an article in the New York Times this morning about how Stanford's training program and the key for them is stretching and improved mobility. More important than lifting weights.

Mobility is extremely important. Static stretching is not. Dynamic stretching, massage/fascia release, nutrition, and promotion of rapid healing of microinjuries are all very helpful. Mobility work has a large stretching component, but static stretching pre-workout has no known benefits once a dynamic warmup is included.

I can also see how a coach would regard mobility work as something that needs to be taught and then performed on an individual basis by the players on their own time, rather than something that should take away team practice time.

Reaction Score
Mobility is extremely important. Static stretching is not. Dynamic stretching, massage/fascia release, nutrition, and promotion of rapid healing of microinjuries are all very helpful. Mobility work has a large stretching component, but static stretching pre-workout has no known benefits once a dynamic warmup is included.

I can also see how a coach would regard mobility work as something that needs to be taught and then performed on an individual basis by the players on their own time, rather than something that should take away team practice time.

I like to run/warm up for ten minutes or so and then stretch a little.

The thing I like about Cummings' statement is that he is not afraid to take on sacred cows.

Reaction Score
I love the BY - a place where folks who never coordinated a gameplan complain about those who are asked to and/or complain about missing folks they complained about while here. It was the BY where folks openly suggested TJ was not allowed to call plays during games and was being overruled by the HC/OL coach, right? It was here that folks complained after the USF game that he simply could not be both HC and OC, right? And now some are suggesting Day, who was never a coordinator, apparently turned in to a great one tearing up the feared Ds of Temple (for 1 half only, although the D won it), Rutgers and Memphis?

I liked how the O finished the season, but I don't think their body of work over the entire season earned any of the coaches the right to stay. I also am willing to give the new HC some time to build his staff (completely), institute his program (on and off the field) and then evaluate. I do not find that to be blind allegiance, but simply reacting to facts and not rumor and innuendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom