Mike Cummings accepts UCONN OC opportunity | The Boneyard

Mike Cummings accepts UCONN OC opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Have at it, glass more than 1/2 fullers and energy vampires alike ... from a Michigan newspaper, The Morning Sun:

"Central Michigan offensive coordinator Mike Cummings has accepted the OC position at the University of Connecticut. Cummings, who has served as OC and OL line coach the past four years at CMU under Dan Enos, will now serve under new UCONN head coach Bob Diaco.

While Cummings did not call the offensive plays at CMU as Enos handled those responsibilities, he still had a major influence on an offense that peaked in 2012 when it averaged 6.2 yards per play. The 2012 Chippewas’ offense featured a running back in Zurlon Tipton who scored 20 total touchdowns and rushed for 1,492 yards, while left tackle Eric Fisher went on to become the No. 1 overall pick in the NFL Draft.

Fisher and many other quality Chippewas' offensive linemen were groomed under Cummings’ tutelage.... Cummings served four stints at CMU as he was the OL coach from 1992-97 and in ‘99, while serving as a graduate assistant in 1988 and ‘89
."

Reaction Score

• [ ]On the plus side he seems to be able to coach up lineman which is by far the weakest link at UConn
    [ ]on the minus side last year his passing offense was rated 83rd and rushing was rated 100th
    [ ]A Mike Cummings quote " We waste 6 minutes every day by stretching. I never saw a dog stretch before he chased a car right?"
    [ ]http://www.cmuchippewas.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?catid=8807&id=2034306

We had Foley who was damn good until the PGDLvampire sucked the life out of the line. All of my dogs stretch every morning. Thats a crazy quote. I hope he is ok with fluids during practice and games. This has me worried.

Reaction Score

• [ ]On the plus side he seems to be able to coach up lineman which is by far the weakest link at UConn
    [ ]on the minus side last year his passing offense was rated 83rd and rushing was rated 100th
    [ ]A Mike Cummings quote " We waste 6 minutes every day by stretching. I never saw a dog stretch before he chased a car right?"
I really hope this quote is somehow taken out of context or he was just grumpy about something else when he said it. That statement is one of the dumbest I've seen from someone who makes their living working with and developing athletes.

Reaction Score
That sounds like a joke, with the analogy to a dog and everything.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I hope his lack of playcalling was due to Dan Enos being an offensive control freak, being he was a very good QB at Michigan State.

Good question Stinger about the fluids. I do hope he allows his boys to drink fluids.

Bill Sussman

My Name isn't really Bill
Reaction Score
Justauconnfan said:
I really hope this quote is somehow taken out of context or he was just grumpy about something else when he said it. That statement is one of the dumbest I've seen from someone who makes their living working with and developing athletes.

Not saying I agree with either side of this argument but it is not like there is no debate ... Especially if he is just talking about static stretching....

http://healthland.time.com/2013/04/08/why-stretching-may-not-help-before-exercise/

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not saying I agree with either side of this argument but it is not like there is no debate ... Especially if he is just talking about static stretching....

http://healthland.time.com/2013/04/08/why-stretching-may-not-help-before-exercise/

The article hammers home the point about the old mindset of group static stretching improving performance or reducing injuries. It doesn't.

The time it takes the players to get suited up in the locker room, put on their gear and walk to the practice field is enough to get them "stretched" out to start light drills immediately.

Reaction Score
There is a mountain of evidence supporting the assertion that stretching is a waste of time. It actually can do you harm if you aren't warmed up thoroughly beforehand.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
I am interested in the Spring Game and ultimately the BYU game. Makes me wonder about tailgating and watching to see how our new OC will do.
Mmmm tailgating!!!

Hope the weather is nice for the spring game. Have to start planning, is only three-ish months away...

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I am interested in the fact that he didn't call his own plays. Makes me wonder.

I'd bet the issue was Dan Enos WANTING that duty (as a former QB) and not that there was an issue with Cummings being a play-calling dullard.

Reaction Score
I'd bet the issue was Dan Enos WANTING that duty (as a former QB) and not that there was an issue with Cummings being a play-calling dullard.

Let's hope.

Reaction Score
Meanwhile there is an article in the New York Times this morning about how Stanford's training program and the key for them is stretching and improved mobility. More important than lifting weights.

Reaction Score

Ken Griffey Jr had the same philosophy and said the same thing.

"Why should I stretch? Does a cheetah stretch before it chases its prey?" (Sports Illustrated, 1999)

Reaction Score
I am interested in the fact that he didn't call his own plays. Makes me wonder.

But aren't there 3 parts to an OC's job. The design, the teaching and the play calling? Wouldn't you think he could have called the plays except his HC was an offense guy and wanted to keep control?

Shane Day jumping right in to call a decent game shows you it's not that difficult if you have the right mind set.

Reaction Score
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...yoga-goes-a-long-way/articleshow/28174160.cms

This can all seem a bit strange at first, said Trent Murphy, a senior linebacker. Turley eliminated Murphy's nagging injuries and helped shape him into an NFL prospect.

"Most people don't get it," Murphy said. "And that's fine."

For the subtle art of injury prevention, the Cardinal stretch and stretch and stretch. They stretch before and after lifts and before and after practice. They stretch for fun.

Even Coach David Shaw has a tailored program. He spends most fall Saturday afternoons standing on the sideline, which tightens his lower back. The work afterward, according to Shaw, involves his "posterior chain" and stretching. A portion of what cut down on Stanford's pulled muscles and hamstring tweaks — "Shannon's immeasurable impact," Shaw said — also works for its coach.

Turley pays particular attention to his players' Functional Movement Screen scores. The FMS is a durability index, what Turley calls "a predictive, quantitative analysis of quality of movement." That is the first test he conducts. It evaluates seven movements and scores players as balanced, functional, overpowered, dysfunctional and injury prone. It shows if a player executes a movement better with his left leg than his right, pointing out asymmetries.

Reaction Score
But aren't there 3 parts to an OC's job. The design, the teaching and the play calling? Wouldn't you think he could have called the plays except his HC was an offense guy and wanted to keep control?

Shane Day jumping right in to call a decent game shows you it's not that difficult if you have the right mind set.

There are probably more than 3 parts. And if Enos felt the need to call the plays then I wonder what else there was that he retained control over in regards to the offense. It's a legitimate question. I doubt Diaco will give the DC a 100% free hand. I am not saying that he will call the defensive plays but he will maintain some control.

Shane Day might be an offensive genius for all we know. Our play calling when he took over the duties changed dramatically and everyone here loved it. What we don't know is if if was calling plays in accordance with TJ's gameplan, or if Shane was just really good at exploiting seams in the defense.

The other thing is, Desmond Conner and Rutgers people will not admit it, but we had the Rutgers, Temple and Memphis D in mismatches all over the place. We just had to exploit them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom