Mike Crispino To Be New Radio Voice For UConn Football, Men's Basketball | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mike Crispino To Be New Radio Voice For UConn Football, Men's Basketball

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I like Joe D and would have preferred that he be the one still calling the games.
It's Joe D's birthday tomorrow. He will be 65. That's retirement age. Maybe that's some consolation to him.
His is not exactly a demanding job.

Husky25

Reaction Score
No it isn't, but at least he had his "career".

Eh, 26 years is nothing for a broadcaster. I've been listing to Joe Castiglione for 35 years. Vin Scully was with the Dodgers for 66 years. Ernie Harwell did Tiger games (among other things) for parts 42 years. Bob Ueker has been on the air since 1971. These guys are institutions. I'm sure Joe D is happy for Mike Crispino, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that his first druther was to protect his own legacy.

Reaction Score
UConn IMG Radio Network team announced

>>Randy LaVigne, a former radio announcer on UConn women’s basketball broadcasts, will also be a part of the broadcast team while Adam Giardino will be the UConn football sideline reporter and will work with Joyce during the coverage of UConn’s men’s hockey team.<<

Reaction Score
UConn IMG Radio Network team announced

>>Randy LaVigne, a former radio announcer on UConn women’s basketball broadcasts, will also be a part of the broadcast team while Adam Giardino will be the UConn football sideline reporter and will work with Joyce during the coverage of UConn’s men’s hockey team.<<

Giardino is also a former sports director for campus radio station WHUS where he spent his four years as a student broadcasting many Husky games in many different sports.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
So much for all of the doomsayers that were bemoaning the smaller signal.

Indeed - my hopes were that something like this would happen - a real honest-to-god network. WICC, in particular, is a huge get for Fairfield County.

Reaction Score
Not great for those of us in the New Haven area. WAVZ 1300 has a very weak night time signal.

Reaction Score
Not great for those of us in the New Haven area. WAVZ 1300 has a very weak night time signal.

Not great in Norwich as well. 980 out of New London comes in well during the daytime, but at night the coverage will be non existent. UConn radio station WHUS will be our best bet, that is, if they happen to be carrying the game in question.

Reaction Score
Dom Amore: Joe D'Ambrosio Adjusting To Broadcasting Life Beyond UConn

>>“WTIC didn’t give up the UConn games,” Joe D. said, in a wide-ranging conversation over lunch a few football fields’ distance from Long Island Sound. “The rights were moved. WTIC wanted to do the UConn games. They chose to franchise tag me and use the final year of my contract to do things they wanted me to do. UConn did not push me out. At the end of the day, I believe UConn wanted me to come back and do the games, and I’m appreciative of that. It just didn’t work out.”

D’Ambrosio has another year on his contract at WTIC, and in the wake of the decision to part ways, it would not release him do work UConn games. As one of his bosses told him, the Yankees wouldn’t just let Aaron Judge walk across the street and go play for the Red Sox. Veteran Mike Crispino was hired by i-Heart Media last week to fill the position.<<

Reaction Score
I dont understand why Joe D couldnt have just quit or even “retired”, then go work for this network that is covering the games now. ..

Husky25

Reaction Score
Dom Amore: Joe D'Ambrosio Adjusting To Broadcasting Life Beyond UConn

>>“WTIC didn’t give up the UConn games,” Joe D. said, in a wide-ranging conversation over lunch a few football fields’ distance from Long Island Sound. “The rights were moved. WTIC wanted to do the UConn games. They chose to franchise tag me and use the final year of my contract to do things they wanted me to do. UConn did not push me out. At the end of the day, I believe UConn wanted me to come back and do the games, and I’m appreciative of that. It just didn’t work out.”

D’Ambrosio has another year on his contract at WTIC, and in the wake of the decision to part ways, it would not release him do work UConn games. As one of his bosses told him, the Yankees wouldn’t just let Aaron Judge walk across the street and go play for the Red Sox. Veteran Mike Crispino was hired by i-Heart Media last week to fill the position.<<
Write in the football version of this thread that This makes no sense. 1080AM is a backwards organization.

This is not remotely the same thing. A more apt comparison would be if the Yankees seized playing baseball but maintained Yankee stadium for weddings and keeping Judge on to serve as maitre D'.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I dont understand why Joe D couldnt have just quit or even “retired”, then go work for this network that is covering the games now. ..
WTIC would still control his rights for a year, should he unretire. If he were to resign, there is surely a non-compete clause in his contract.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom