OT: - Mike Brey to Retire | The Boneyard

OT: Mike Brey to Retire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The candidates for this job are going to be very interesting.

Reaction Score
The candidates for this job are going to be very interesting.
Is ND basketball considered a good job? Limited tournament success at a school that doesn't really even have any rivals or basketball tradition. They're like a less appealing version of Oklahoma

Reaction Score
I'm not sure they get anyone good to replace him. The appeal of Notre Dame is the ACC and there's going to be 2-3 better openings this offseason

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Is ND basketball considered a good job? Limited tournament success at a school that doesn't really even have any rivals or basketball tradition. They're like a less appealing version of Oklahoma
I think that’s why it’s interesting. All the money in the world, big fan base, huge brand, great conference. But they haven’t been relevant in basketball for years, do decision makers care enough to shell out 5+ million for a stud? There’s nothing stopping them but themselves.

Reaction Score
An exasperated Brey, after falling at home Tuesday to Florida State in Notre Dame's fourth loss in its last five outings, seemed to foreshadow the move following the loss to the Seminoles earlier in the week. In his postgame press conference he lamented his inability to help this team win games and showed frustration in himself for not having the answers.

"I certainly haven't been able to help him much. I told them that. I said, 'I've done a horrible job with you, fellas.'" he said. "I [told the team], 'I misread you.' I thought we would be ready to compete. That's the boss's responsibility. Totally accountable. Totally accountable."

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
An exasperated Brey, after falling at home Tuesday to Florida State in Notre Dame's fourth loss in its last five outings, seemed to foreshadow the move following the loss to the Seminoles earlier in the week. In his postgame press conference he lamented his inability to help this team win games and showed frustration in himself for not having the answers.

"I certainly haven't been able to help him much. I told them that. I said, 'I've done a horrible job with you, fellas.'" he said. "I [told the team], 'I misread you.' I thought we would be ready to compete. That's the boss's responsibility. Totally accountable. Totally accountable."

As reported, it's a realistic path, responsibly communicated by the coach and the school, via the article and the interview except.

Refreshing, by comparison with some other situations.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Seemed like a class act.

That team they had a few years ago with Connaughton and Jerian Grant was a very fun team to watch.

Reaction Score
Another program which would probably have better results in the Big East. If it's football program isn't going to the altar, divorce the acc and return to the best basketball conference. I'm putting my hatred for that abysmal program aside for a moment...

Reaction Score
Playing class clown and shirking your homework. LOTS of posters can do that better than you.

Tell us about the 50 better coaches, or own that you're a fraud. And now Brey is off your list.

Get to work!
First of all I know you are upset because you just knew that Dan Hurley was the one. So you’re like a pre-teen who discovers the lead singer in her favorite boy band is not going to marry you.
I said 50 other coaches could have done what he did. I’ll give you 10 for now:
Mick Cronin
Sean Miller
Bill Self
Shaheed Holloway
Hubert Davis
Jim Boeheim
Shaka Smart.
John Calipari
Tony Bennett
Ed Cooley

At least five of them would have listened to an offer. Maybe they’d come maybe not.

Reaction Score
First of all I know you are upset because you just knew that Dan Hurley was the one. So you’re like a pre-teen who discovers the lead singer in her favorite boy band is not going to marry you.
I said 50 other coaches could have done what he did. I’ll give you 10 for now:
Mick Cronin
Sean Miller
Bill Self
Shaheed Holloway
Hubert Davis
Jim Boeheim
Shaka Smart.
John Calipari
Tony Bennett
Ed Cooley

At least five of them would have listened to an offer. Maybe they’d come maybe not.
I think I could name close to 50 but Hubert and Shaheen wouldn't be two of them despite their tournament success last season.

Reaction Score

He's taking responsibility and not blaming his players.

I have to respect him for that.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
First of all I know you are upset because you just knew that Dan Hurley was the one.
Right out of the box, your self-certain assertion is flat out incorrect. That's why you are so easy to dump on guilt-free. After your foolish overreaching does most of the heavy lifting, all I have to do is match your sour energy.
So you’re like a pre-teen who discovers the lead singer in her favorite boy band is not going to marry you.
And your initial false "first of all" claim was to setup a flat-footed misfire with mangled pronouns? Oy.
I said 50 other coaches could have done what he did.
From which I challenged you to 'educate us up' by providing brief bios, one per day, of 50 such coaches to prepare the fanbase for mid-March, rather than just repeat yourself in tired ways that are completely unnecessary because others are doing a better job on basically the same themes.
I’ll give you 10 for now:
Look at you, digging deep...
Mick Cronin
Sean Miller
Bill Self
Shaheed Holloway
Hubert Davis
Jim Boeheim
Shaka Smart.
John Calipari
Tony Bennett
Ed Cooley
Tbh, not what I'd expected.
I'll be kind because I can see that you might simply be building momentum after a slow start. Remember, you're the one who set the bar.

40 more please, with bios if you intend to be helpful.

Given that your list includes guys with NCs, long-term P5 contracts, and other major factors that suggest you're recasting the scope of your original post to something so lacking in ambition as to be inconsequential, let's start with your NAMING the 5 who would have listened to an offer in 2018. Or do you need to update to 2023 in order to make things work?

What are we to make of "Shaka Smart." within a list that contains no other punctuation marks? Is this some kind of setup for, "Shaka Smart period" by any chance?

Do you think "Sampson Johnson" have been recruited by "Shaheed Hollaway?"

As Haven Hamilton sang, "Keep a going."

Reaction Score
Right out of the box, your self-certain assertion is flat out incorrect. That's why you are so easy to dump on guilt-free. After your foolish overreaching does most of the heavy lifting, all I have to do is match your sour energy.

And your initial false "first of all" claim was to setup a flat-footed misfire with mangled pronouns? Oy.

From which I challenged you to 'educate us up' by providing brief bios, one per day, of 50 such coaches to prepare the fanbase for mid-March, rather than just repeat yourself in tired ways that are completely unnecessary because others are doing a better job on basically the same themes.

Look at you, digging deep...

Tbh, not what I'd expected.

I'll be kind because I can see that you might simply be building momentum after a slow start. Remember, you're the one who set the bar.

40 more please, with bios if you intend to be helpful.

Given that your list includes guys with NCs, long-term P5 contracts, and other major factors that suggest you're recasting the scope of your original post to something so lacking in ambition as to be inconsequential, let's start with your NAMING the 5 who would have listened to an offer in 2018. Or do you need to update to 2023 in order to make things work?

What are we to make of "Shaka Smart." within a list that contains no other punctuation marks? Is this some kind of setup for, "Shaka Smart period" by any chance?

Do you think "Sampson Johnson" have been recruited by "Shaheed Hollaway?"

As Haven Hamilton sang, "Keep a going."
Nah. When people start grading this as an English paper you know they can’t make an argument. since that’s mostly what you’re doing, no sense continuing the discussion. FWIW, thoughCronin was looking around when we hired Hurley. He definitely would have listened.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Nah. When people start grading this as an English paper you know they can’t make an argument. since that’s mostly what you’re doing, no sense continuing the discussion. FWIW, thoughCronin was looking around when we hired Hurley. He definitely would have listened.

You're up to 1, if you honestly believe UConn would have gone after an AAC rival's coach. And note Mick hadn't made a Sweet 16 up to that point, so I wonder now if that's your standard for him being able to do what DH has/hasn't done...but I think that would be your snarky self speaking. But OK, let's just say you're 2% of the way, and only a few days behind.

Then again, if you weren't trying to weasel your way out, you could accept that I was granting you Shaka as the most plausible name on your list, and legitimately wondering if you were being coy. That'd be 2, or 4% of the way.

Instead, you now seem cowardly. Are you really going to play 'takeaway' because I read too much into a stray punctuation mark?

Are you really going to withhold your gifts and punish the rest of the Boneyard and not offer your list of 50 coaches because of MY error?

I believe that you are more interested & invested in carping on what's wrong, that you wear negativity like a security blanket, and that you decline to offer anything to back up your initial casual, confident claims.

You could shut me up AND create value for those who know less than you say you do, all while making UConn basketball better. Have at it. Don't be distracted by me being a jerk like you often are.

Just because I regard you as a fraudulent fraidy cat who is ducking a challenge to back up his own bold statement, this forum shouldn't be deprived of your wisdom. Besides, after what you've written here since the team started performing poorly in-conference, you've forfeited the standing to call foul when someone tells you to put up or shut up. I'm not being mean, I'm holding you accountable. It's plenty fair, just not free, scooter.

!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I’ll give you 10 for now:
Mick Cronin
Sean Miller
Bill Self
Shaheed Holloway
Hubert Davis
Jim Boeheim
Shaka Smart.
John Calipari
Tony Bennett
Ed Cooley

Which five would have listened?

Reaction Score
ND is an interesting opening. ACC is down, specifically Duke, UNC, Louisville, and Syracuse, and FSU's coach is 74 and Miami's coach is 73, so the league is pretty wide open. A good coach could put ND in the upper part of the ACC pretty quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom