Mike Aresco: "I'm Fine With The Playoff Staying At 4 Teams" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mike Aresco: "I'm Fine With The Playoff Staying At 4 Teams"

Reaction Score
I'll let you figure it out on your own.

So when you have no facts to back up your claims that’s the response?

In the article that started this thread 3 of the G5 commissioners were quoted as saying they don’t see it changing. In fact the Sunbelt commish said that they are better off under this system than the BCS system.

You need to go back to organizing your boycott of the ACC network. That seems like a solid strategy

Reaction Score
Agreed. I said it in another thread but UConn/AAC's only angle to play nice with ESPN and become the House Brand Lite to the ACC.

I think the AAC has some value to ESPN to fill up time slots cheaply, but in order to still be attractive programming and to not fall further into the G5 abyss, the league is going to need a bigger payday.

They won't sniff P5 $, but I think a decent pay increase ($7M/team?) greatly benefits the AAC and in turn helps ESPN. If they low ball the AAC and the league fades into oblivion they lose a lot of cheap content for ESPN2.
Sick but true. Keep the AAC life support just to back fill content. Aresco is cool not rocking the boat as long as he gets enough juice to keep getting pay raises and remains king of smallville.

Reaction Score
So when you have no facts to back up your claims that’s the response?

In the article that started this thread 3 of the G5 commissioners were quoted as saying they don’t see it changing. In fact the Sunbelt commish said that they are better off under this system than the BCS system.

You need to go back to organizing your boycott of the ACC network. That seems like a solid strategy

None of us have any facts at all. This is all speculation, every post.

My opinion that the P5 is more interested in protecting their monopoly than expanding the number of slots and cashing in on more bucks is as supportable as as any other post on this thread. It explains the behavior of leaving money on the table.

Reaction Score
What makes you think that opening to 8 teams would "force" inclusion of any G5 teams? The committee put UCF at #12 in their final poll.

Last time I looked #12 would still be on the outside looking in at an 8 team playoff. All an 8 team playoff would do would make 4 more P5 fanbases happy
most pundits have speculated that if the field opens to 8, the G5 would get a slot.

Reaction Score
Just expand to 8 teams and give the top 2 teams a bye. Take all winners from the P6 conferences and fill the remaining 2 spots with the next best or however they did it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Just expand to 8 teams and give the top 2 teams a bye. Take all winners from the P6 conferences and fill the remaining 2 spots with the next best or however they did it.

Um what do you do with the second round with 5 teams?

Reaction Score
I wrote to Kirby Hocutt and advocated for a 6 team tourney. The committee would use their current (however flawed) criteria to rank them #1---#6. #1 and #2 would get a bye.

#3 would play #6 while #4 would play #5. Their next opponent would either be based on a ranking system, with the higher ranked winner playing #2 in the semis and the lower ranked winner playing #1. Or for travel and fan convenience the bowl designees would be pre-determined each year so the fans would know beforehand where their team might land.

The winners would be the two teams playing in the Championship Game. I showed him how in every year of the playoff there would have been broader geographical representation and greater national interest. This year for example the system would have produced the following teams: 1.Clemson, 2.Oklahoma, 3.Georgia, 4. Alabama, 5.Ohio State 6. Wisconsin.

Clemson and Oklahoma would have had byes. Georgia would have played Wisconsin. Alabama would have played Ohio State. Winner of UGA/Wis (UGA) would play Clemson. Winner of Alabama/OSU (Alabama) would play Oklahoma. Those winners then would have played in NC game. Might still have been UGA vs Alabama, but maybe not.

This 6 team approach would give two other bowls (TBD) a compelling playoff game a week before New Years Day while still dedicating two of the New Years Day Bowls as Semi-Finals. It would broaden fan interest, and unlike the other 8 team, 12 team or "even more" team models being proposed by some, this plan would keep the total number of playoff games at a manageable and safer level, better satisfying those who object to expansion on both academic and player welfare grounds.

Reaction Score
Personally I’d do 12. Do the 10 champs and 2 wild cards.

Top 4 byes and everything on campus til semis.

This is probably the best scenario but I can't see the ncaa expanding it to that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I wrote to Kirby Hocutt and advocated for a 6 team tourney. The committee would use their current (however flawed) criteria to rank them #1---#6. #1 and #2 would get a bye.

#3 would play #6 while #4 would play #5. Their next opponent would either be based on a ranking system, with the higher ranked winner playing #2 in the semis and the lower ranked winner playing #1. Or for travel and fan convenience the bowl designees would be pre-determined each year so the fans would know beforehand where their team might land.

The winners would be the two teams playing in the Championship Game. I showed him how in every year of the playoff there would have been broader geographical representation and greater national interest. This year for example the system would have produced the following teams: 1.Clemson, 2.Oklahoma, 3.Georgia, 4. Alabama, 5.Ohio State 6. Wisconsin.

Clemson and Oklahoma would have had byes. Georgia would have played Wisconsin. Alabama would have played Ohio State. Winner of UGA/Wis (UGA) would play Clemson. Winner of Alabama/OSU (Alabama) would play Oklahoma. Those winners then would have played in NC game. Might still have been UGA vs Alabama, but maybe not.

This 6 team approach would give two other bowls (TBD) a compelling playoff game a week before New Years Day while still dedicating two of the New Years Day Bowls as Semi-Finals. It would broaden fan interest, and unlike the other 8 team, 12 team or "even more" team models being proposed by some, this plan would keep the total number of playoff games at a manageable and safer level, better satisfying those who object to expansion on both academic and player welfare grounds.

I bet they hadn’t thought of 6.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Anyone else just exhausted from the argument?

In a non TV $ drive world..

The bowl season should be a handful (10?) exhibition games and the rankings should be for fun mostly.

Winning your conference, which is an even playing field for all in your league, should be the goal and be what is really prioritized.

The non-sense with the P5, Bowl Committee (as if the members are spending 12 hours each Saturday watching games), 40 bowls, etc. is just dumb.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom