Mike Aresco addresses UConn's departure, the impact on his American Athletic Conference moving forward | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Mike Aresco addresses UConn's departure, the impact on his American Athletic Conference moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I just get tired of folks blaming third parties -- like commissioners -- for what UConn couldn't accomplish. When UConn, Cincy and USF were recruiting new members, they had every right to say, for example, we're not equal partners and the three of us get double shares until the rest of you generate equal revenues. Had they done that I doubt they would have repopulated the conference, but they could have done that.

Blaming a neutral commissioner for not getting you what you couldn't get for yourself is weak and dumb. And blaming him for not getting a good enough deal, as if he did the deal himself and didn't have an investment bank running the negotiations and getting the best deal they could, is equally weak. (Unless you want to tell me he didn't have consultants or bankers running the sale of the rights, in which case I'll listen.)

Reaction Score
I just get tired of folks blaming third parties -- like commissioners -- for what UConn couldn't accomplish. When UConn, Cincy and USF were recruiting new members, they had every right to say, for example, we're not equal partners and the three of us get double shares until the rest of you generate equal revenues. Had they done that I doubt they would have repopulated the conference, but they could have done that.

Blaming a neutral commissioner for not getting you what you couldn't get for yourself is weak and dumb. And blaming him for not getting a good enough deal, as if he did the deal himself and didn't have an investment bank running the negotiations and getting the best deal they could, is equally weak. (Unless you want to tell me he didn't have consultants or bankers running the sale of the rights, in which case I'll listen.)
Not to mention the member schools who vote to accept such deals.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
"In terms of (UConn leaving) it's a blip."

#thanksmikekeeptalking

CL82

Reaction Score

Blaming a neutral commissioner for not getting you what you couldn't get for yourself is weak and dumb. And blaming him for not getting a good enough deal, as if he did the deal himself and didn't have an investment bank running the negotiations and getting the best deal they could, is equally weak. (Unless you want to tell me he didn't have consultants or bankers running the sale of the rights, in which case I'll listen.)He
Did you listen to the interview? Aresco states that UConn articulated objections but he disregarded them. What more would expect UConn to do in that case? Leave the conference? Because that is exactly what happened.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Haha, well, good walk back from the Mt Rushmore comment. I agree 100% He didn't do a terrible job, but he certainly didn't do a great one either. But inheriting a BCS conference and making it the best of the FBS G5 probably isn't a resume item. Yeah we added a lot of CUSA but the hope was the conference would bring them up to our level not that we'd drop down to their level.

Still we can agree, and have frequently through the is thread, that CUSA schools are happy to have their games accessible and sniff some cash north of a million or two. But that level of payout was less than our market value and certainly didn't justify the ridiculous travel expense and loss of our unique broadcast presence in our recruiting area, thus we left.
There is a lot of nonsense here.

in point of fact UConn has done little to keep up its end of the bargain in the American. Sure we won a National Championship in a transition year, and that is no small thing but after that we crashed and burned. Football was even more of a disaster. I’m guessing had Warde hired 2 competent coaches and we went to say 5 NCAA Tournaments and s few bowl games, played for a league title in football., we’d still be in the AAC. The league got blamed for lots of our own ineptitude. In football it’s been very good. Top 10 finishes. Wins in BCS bowls, multiple ranked teams. Many schools raised their game. We were a disaster. Honestly the top half of the AAC could walk into any P5 league and compete UConn would be laughed out of any of them. Blaming the AAC and Aresco instead of UConn and Warde (and Ollie and Diaco) is just wrong.

CL82

Reaction Score
There is a lot of nonsense here.

in point of fact UConn has done little to keep up its end of the bargain in the American. Sure we won a National Championship in a transition year, and that is no small thing but after that we crashed and burned. Football was even more of a disaster. I’m guessing had Warde hired 2 competent coaches and we went to say 5 NCAA Tournaments and s few bowl games, played for a league title in football., we’d still be in the AAC. The league got blamed for lots of our own ineptitude. In football it’s been very good. Top 10 finishes. Wins in BCS bowls, multiple ranked teams. Many schools raised their game. We were a disaster. Honestly the top half of the AAC could walk into any P5 league and compete UConn would be laughed out of any of them. Blaming the AAC and Aresco instead of UConn and Warde (and Ollie and Diaco) is just wrong.
Uh, what exactly does that any of that have to do with Aresco giving up our T3 rights and getting paid less on a net basis than a basketball only conference? Oh if we are such a drag on the conference, why are we the only school that has a network willing to pay seven figures for T3 rights?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Sounds like BYU might be considering the AAC.
Football-only suggested in article; makes some sense for BYU based on their reported bowl qualification obstacles and late season scheduling challenges; other sports stay in current conference(s) and no related Sunday scheduling challenges for the AAC to overcome

Reaction Score
BYU plays several series of home and homes with P5 schools. 2019 is their weakest schedule in terms of P5 school with only 4 P5 games. In 2021 they have 7 P5 games (Arizona, Arizona St, Utah, Baylor, Wash St, Virginia, and USC. In addition they have their traditional games with Utah St, and Boise st. Yes, they get the occasional Ga Southern, or Northern Alabama because of their independent status, but I don't think their fan base would be at all in favor of the AAC schedule replacing their current P5 games. BYU never really has issues scheduling good teams.

Although there are some things that make this move fit into the AAC puzzle. Navy could move to the east and put BYU in the west. That would reduce travel costs for all teams. I guess they may be happy with 4 OOCs against P5s and then hope to win the AAC and get to a NY bowl.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
From the story linked above:

Here’s the second scenario, which involves BYU, according to Benson:
“If ESPN exercises the composition clause in its contract — which calls for the network to be compensated for UConn’s lost value — the AAC will seek a replacement to get to 12 teams. That replacement would be BYU as a football-only member,” Benson said.

The SBJ newsletter goes on to say that BYU already has an agreement with ESPN (which expires at the end of the 2019 season but supposedly will be extended soon) and that agreement could be “absorbed” into the AAC’s deal with the network.
“BYU enhances AAC football more than any other non-P5 school, and AAC membership provides the Cougars with a shot to get into a major bowl,” Smith wrote, referencing his conversation with Benson. “And that will never happen as long as BYU is an independent.”

Take a look at BYU's schedule....its actually pretty damn good with 5 to 7 P5 games a year. They would have to shed so many good games.

I don't think BYU joins the AAC as football only unless ESPN forces them too which is not entirely impossible since they pretty much control both.

Future BYU Football Schedules | FBSchedules.com

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
From the story linked above:

Here’s the second scenario, which involves BYU, according to Benson:
“If ESPN exercises the composition clause in its contract — which calls for the network to be compensated for UConn’s lost value — the AAC will seek a replacement to get to 12 teams. That replacement would be BYU as a football-only member,” Benson said.

The SBJ newsletter goes on to say that BYU already has an agreement with ESPN (which expires at the end of the 2019 season but supposedly will be extended soon) and that agreement could be “absorbed” into the AAC’s deal with the network.
“BYU enhances AAC football more than any other non-P5 school, and AAC membership provides the Cougars with a shot to get into a major bowl,” Smith wrote, referencing his conversation with Benson. “And that will never happen as long as BYU is an independent.”

Take a look at BYU's schedule....its actually pretty damn good with 5 to 7 P5 games a year. They would have to shed so many good games.

I don't think BYU joins the AAC as football only unless ESPN forces them too which is not entirely impossible since they pretty much control both.

Future BYU Football Schedules | FBSchedules.com

SBJ is just AAC planted rumors. They were making predictions about untold riches too.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
SBJ is just AAC planted rumors. They were making predictions about untold riches too.

"And AAC commissioner Mike Aresco has repeatedly said he hasn’t heard from BYU since UConn’s pending move became public. " <--Ha, they wont call you back! This is the only move on the board for Aresco worth two pennies and I dont think he can sell it. Only a heavy handed push by ESPN could cause BYU to shed that pretty awesome independent schedule they have assembled.

Reaction Score
"And AAC commissioner Mike Aresco has repeatedly said he hasn’t heard from BYU since UConn’s pending move became public. " <--Ha, they wont call you back! This is the only move on the board for Aresco worth two pennies and I dont think he can sell it. Only a heavy handed push by ESPN could cause BYU to shed that pretty awesome independent schedule they have assembled.
I hope BYU joins. It will make our life a lot easier

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I hope BYU joins. It will make our life a lot easier

Well, instantaneously there will be a slew of broken football contracts creating options for UConn.

If it happens, my mind will be centered on the notion there was a long shot conspiracy in place to make this chain of events happen. ESPN hands out bad deal contract to AAC, gets lucky that UConn exits, softly encourages exit, softly pushes BYU to take our seat, then after a few weeks goes by rescinds whatever extension offer they had in front of BYU and redirects them to see that empty seat in the AAC.

This is really the only scenario - valid or not, that could happen. The rest of the football options have zero value, especially for ESPN to commit to a 12 year contract.

Reaction Score
Sounds like wishful thinking. The BYU fanbase would be incredibly angry if their admins went the G5 route. If access was so important, they'd still be in the MWC. It's not like they've recently gone 11-1 and were left out of a major bowl. And BYU isn't hurt for money so there's no reason to go the AAC route right now.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Sounds like wishful thinking. The BYU fanbase would be incredibly angry if their admins went the G5 route. If access was so important, they'd still be in the MWC. It's not like they've recently gone 11-1 and were left out of a major bowl. And BYU isn't hurt for money so there's no reason to go the AAC route right now.
Agreed and agreed.....unless ESPN's contract extension suddenly vaporizes.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The AAC may need two after Tulane is wiped out this weekend too. That city is doomed - they should pick up like Wake did and move now.

Reaction Score

Yup. BYU fans have absolutely zero interest in the AAC or the schools in the AAC (and rightfully so)

Reaction Score
Yup. BYU fans have absolutely zero interest in the AAC or the schools in the AAC (and rightfully so)

Imagine having those future schedules, with all those big time schools, and being like “nah, let’s play Tulsa every year so that our AD doesn’t have to work as hard on scheduling.”

We’d all be incensed and so would they.

Plus, like @whaler11 said, they are on a mission from God, folks.

Mike Aresco (not mad) is probably so fine with the fact that they haven’t returned his calls. He’s happy, actually.

Reaction Score
I guess anything is possible, but BYU's schedule is much better as an independent than as part of the AAC. Remember, they have 3 annual games: Utah, Utah St., and Bose St. I guess they could drop Boise St.

And, BYU has scheduled 6 P5 in 2020, 7 P5 in 2021, 5 P5 in 2022, and 6 in 2023. Why would they drop half of those games to play an AAC schedule?

Lets do a sanity check. Which schedule would fans want:

2021 Now:
vs Arizona in Las Vegas
Utah
Arizona St.
USF
@Utah St
Boise St.
@Baylor
@Washington St.
Virginia
Idaho St.
@Georgia Southern
@USC

2021 AAC (possible):
vs Arizona in Las Vegas
Utah
Arizona St.
USF
@Utah St.
Tulsa
@Tulane
Houston
@SMU
Memphis
@ECU
Temple

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I recall reading that ESPN guarantees a 6+ win BYU bowl access.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I recall reading that ESPN guarantees a 6+ win BYU bowl access.

That is what BYU says the agreement is.

With the new games we aren’t far away from everyone at 6 having a home every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom