Mike Anthony: Watching UConn football has become torture; Huskies could be headed toward another one-win season | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony: Watching UConn football has become torture; Huskies could be headed toward another one-win season

Reaction Score
A world turned upside down.

A world where SMU is 6-0 and Wake Forest is 5-0.

Maybe...maybe as an independent, stasis will be broken for UConn.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
There's only two things to do: either fund the damned thing properly so that you can revive it and recoup some investment, or close the damned thing down...

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score

I was at the SMU triple OT win last night. SMU has a fun and talented team, and a beautiful on-campus stadium. Tulsa looked very good, too.

But as I was walking out of the stadium, my only thought was, “Why the hell can’t UConn compete at this level?”.

Reaction Score
There's only two things to do: either fund the damned thing properly so that you can revive it and recoup some investment, or close the damned thing down...

Haven't seen any evidence so far that DB or the Athletic Department has any serious interest in saving it, so . . . it looks worse than it's ever looked before and that's saying a lot.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Haven't seen any evidence so far that DB or the Athletic Department has any serious interest in saving it, so . . . it looks worse than it's ever looked before and that's saying a lot.

I mean, even the parking lot attendants have given up. Hell, even the cops have given up! UConn needs to figure out a way on how to wrench back the concession money or the parking money or both. They have to start to understand that a larger investment can actually increase the return because people will only come out for a competitive team!

Fireworks after Wagner won't move the needle. Jonathan dancing with the dance team won't move the needle. Fund the damned program!

C

Chief00

I mean, even the parking lot attendants have given up. Hell, even the cops have given up! UConn needs to figure out a way on how to wrench back the concession money or the parking money or both. They have to start to understand that a larger investment can actually increase the return because people will only come out for a competitive team!

Fireworks after Wagner won't move the needle. Jonathan dancing with the dance team won't move the needle. Fund the damned program!
Good points Dan.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Says the most optimistic guy on the board. Yikes!

Its hard to argue. as I have said before....I get that it takes time to build up to a bowl eligible team....but randy can’t cobble together a good enough team in 3 years to be competitive with the worst teams in FBS? Not even win...but be competitive?

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
For anyone who thinks Jonathan dancing is cool or original or doesn’t suck here is a YouTube video with over 5 million views

Also, I was about 5 minutes late to my seat and completely missed the 2009 team being honored but they spent the entire halftime doing that weird tribute to the new president.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe the plan IS working. Dentist model.

Desensitize first...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Says the most optimistic guy on the board. Yikes!

Its hard to argue. as I have said before....I get that it takes time to build up to a bowl eligible team....but randy can’t cobble together a good enough team in 3 years to be competitive with the worst teams in FBS? Not even win...competitive?

I try to stay optimistic, but whiskey can only do so much...

Reaction Score
For anyone who thinks Jonathan dancing is cool or original or doesn’t suck here is a YouTube video with over 5 million views

Also, I was about 5 minutes late my seat and completely missed the 2009 team being honored but they spent the entire halftime doing that weird tribute to the new president.

Why can’t Jonathan fire up our crowd like this?

Reaction Score
Alternate access link missing last bit of article:

"Neither is the equation that is keeping fans away.
The product is just about unwatchable."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why can’t Jonathan fire up our crowd like this?
Because it isn't Jonathan? Heck it isn't even the Blue Wolf. It's just a hideous generic wolf costume that looks like it should be spinning a sign in front of a used car dealership.

(Yes, I fully recognize that our lame ass mascot is the least of our problems.)

Reaction Score

Not really. More so the eventual outcome for schools that hire coaches who understand how to run a program in 2019. Clawson 100% understands how to win at a school like WF. Very similar to what Pat Fitzgerald has done at NW. Dykes is an offensive minded coach who learned from guys like Hall Mumme, Mike Leach and his old man. He's making use of the talent available to him in the metroplex.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Everything wrong with the football team starts at the office that says DB the db AD
People talk about SMU and Wake
They spend $ on their programs
UCoon hires a snowflake President who has a plan to give free tuition to students whose household income is under $XX
Yeah that will do wonders in generating income
I have no idea what is happening to UConn

Reaction Score
I was at the SMU triple OT win last night. SMU has a fun and talented team, and a beautiful on-campus stadium. Tulsa looked very good, too.

But as I was walking out of the stadium, my only thought was, “Why the hell can’t UConn compete at this level?”.
Well for one thing, UConn's head coaches (other than Weiss in '13) run a very boring, conservative program right out of the 1960's. Need someone to put excitment into the program. Too bad UConn didn't make a run at Mike Leach back when it hired Red Pants.

Reaction Score
Quite a damning article by Anthony. When the column guy at the biggest sports section in the state is saying he'd rather watch CCSU football, well...that says all u need to say.
Not that I blame him

Reaction Score

I was there as well, I hope that everyone in the stadium treated you well.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
So what would you categorize the brand new locker room as?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Everything wrong with the football team starts at the office that says DB the db AD
People talk about SMU and Wake
They spend $ on their programs
UCoon hires a snowflake President who has a plan to give free tuition to students whose household income is under $XX
Yeah that will do wonders in generating income
I have no idea what is happening to UConn

Both WFU and SMU are private schools with billion dollar endowments. They can opt in to playing the game at will.

UConn doesn't have a sugar daddy and is dying on the teet of state funding. UConn is finding football based on student fees.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom