Mike Anthony: UConn President Susan Herbst Understood Importance Of Athletics-Academics Partnership | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony: UConn President Susan Herbst Understood Importance Of Athletics-Academics Partnership

Reaction Score
I just don’t know that an FCS team has ever played in a. 40k seat stadium and I’m not sure we could cover cost of operation to have max 10k people there
UConn has to pay to use the Rent, so it’s that much more vital to get butts in the seats. They won’t rent it to have 6,000 people watch them play William and Mary

Moot point since nothing is happening in the near term but if it does, UConn will pay it one way or the other.

Under current lease contract with the State which expires in 2023 - UConn is on the hook for any revenue shortfall up to a $25ok annually in addition to the $170k game day (x 6 game minimum) cost.

“UConn keeps revenues from ticket sales, merchandise sales, and sponsorship, and the stadium keeps concession and parking revenues. If concession and parking revenues do not cover all operating expenses, CRDA may charge UConn to make up the difference.

That contract renegotiation under the current/future economic pressures for both side will be interesting...

Last edited:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Playing FCS at the Rent is equally insane. Yale, Harvard, and Penn have no financial restraints and also all own their own large stadiums. UConn has to pay to use the Rent, so it’s that much more vital to get butts in the seats. They won’t rent it to have 6,000 people watch them play William and Mary

Don't look at me. I've never advocated playing FCS. However, in the unlikely event we ever do decide to, we have no other viable alternative venues.

Reaction Score
FCS is football will be s bigger loser than where we are
You have to have an on campus facility
Decreases in expenses are more than offset by decrease in revenue .

The choices really are
1. Totally drop football
That enables you to drop a bunch of women’s programs
2. Go independent Decreases revenue unless you want to be road warriors
3 Stay as we are

Reaction Score
UConn playing FCS should not and will not happen. Dropping the sport would be a better option.

For the record, there are 4 FCS stadiums larger than the Rent:
  • Nissan Stadium - Tennessee State (Ohio Valley) - 68,798
  • Yale Bowl - Yale (Ivy) - 61,446
  • Mississippi Veterans Memorial - Jackson State (SWAC) - 60,492
  • Franklin Field - Penn (Ivy) - 52,593
And just 2 FCS programs averaged more fans than UConn (20,334) did last season:
  • Montana (Big Sky) - 23,535
  • James Madison (CAA) - 21,724

Reaction Score
I would not get your hopes up about this year (if you're talking about football)

Exactly! This year's football team is going to be completely and utterly abysmal! Honestly, I think they will be lucky to win 3 games this year.

Reaction Score
Playing FCS at the Rent is equally insane. Yale, Harvard, and Penn have no financial restraints and also all own their own large stadiums. UConn has to pay to use the Rent, so it’s that much more vital to get butts in the seats. They won’t rent it to have 6,000 people watch them play William and Mary
Right. Those ivy league stadiums are ancient. From a different era. Hard to believe, but I can remember as a kid ivy teams being ranked in the top 20.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Exactly! This year's football team is going to be completely and utterly abysmal! Honestly, I think they will be lucky to win 3 games this year.
It's a process. Football programs are like big merchant ships. They don't change course quickly of easily

I don't the the team will be completely and and utterly abysmal, but I do think that 3 wins is likely to be all that can be reasonably hoped for this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom