Mike Anthony: The UConn football offense belongs to coordinator Frank Giufre, though Randy Edsall and Mike Moyseenko are heavily involved | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony: The UConn football offense belongs to coordinator Frank Giufre, though Randy Edsall and Mike Moyseenko are heavily involved

Reaction Score
This sounds awful. But it explains a lot.

At the beginning of each series, Edsall states a general goal — go run-heavy, for instance, or try to exploit a certain area of the defense or a situation. From there, others choose from a small package of plays available. Usually, it’s Edsall, Giufre and quarterbacks coach Mike Moyseenko most heavily involved in the discussion and Giufre or Moyseenko typically call in the play to the quarterback. It is often signals or signs from the sideline.

So there’s no one designated play-caller.......

As any good manager knows, when everyone is responsibile, no one is responsible. And rather than add more options or creativity to the offense, there is this.

“I think you try to do simple [things] better,” Giufre said. “You try to get a lot of reps being simplistic, in my opinion.

Reaction Score

At the beginning of each series, Edsall states a general goal — go run-heavy, for instance, or try to exploit a certain area of the defense or a situation. From there, others choose from a small package of plays available. Usually, it’s Edsall, Giufre and quarterbacks coach Mike Moyseenko most heavily involved in the discussion and Giufre or Moyseenko typically call in the play to the quarterback. It is often signals or signs from the sideline.

So there’s no one designated play-caller..

As any good manager knows, when everyone is responsibile, no one is responsible. And rather than add more options or creativity to the offense, there is this.

“I think you try to do simple [things] better,” Giufre said. “You try to get a lot of reps being simplistic, in my opinion.

I'd imagine this is how most if not all head coaches who are not offensive play callers work. You think Bill Belichick isn't in McDaniels ear every series, "I want run heavy this drive", or "The safety is cheating up, I want to take advantage of the left half of the field"

I think its normal, if not standard.

Reaction Score
As any good manager knows, when everyone is responsibile, no one is responsible.

>>Frank Giufre is the UConn football team’s offensive coordinator. And that title, as it should, means he will receive much of the blame or much of the credit for how the Huskies operate with the ball and how that production fits into what becomes of this season.

That’s the way it is. It is Giufre’s offense, his responsibility, even if he’s ostensibly just one piece in a rare by-committee puzzle.<<

Reaction Score
I'd imagine this is how most if not all head coaches who are not offensive play callers work. You think Bill Belichick isn't in McDaniels ear every series, "I want run heavy this drive", or "The safety is cheating up, I want to take advantage of the left half of the field"

Some start with scripted plays to see how the defense reacts. Then the good play callers have a situational play sheet for down, distance and field position. Together, this should give the play caller a good idea of the weakness in the defense and how to exploit it. And they use plays to set up following plays.

Reaction Score
Not surprised at all (Edsall was a college QB) and this probably means there is a good chance this is a one year solution. Hopefully a search will begin at the end of the season although I wouldn't be surprised if Moyseenko impresses and just takes over next year.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

So there’s no one designated play-caller..

This goes back to Chief’s Lashlee’s post a few weeks ago. This environment for an OC has nothing to do with where his wife may prefer to live. You are not going to retain or attract an accomplished, experienced OC under the circumstances.

Reaction Score
>>Frank Giufre is the UConn football team’s offensive coordinator. And that title, as it should, means he will receive much of the blame or much of the credit for how the Huskies operate with the ball and how that production fits into what becomes of this season.

That’s the way it is. It is Giufre’s offense, his responsibility, even if he’s ostensibly just one piece in a rare by-committee puzzle.<<

The surest way to make your people fail is to give them responsibility without giving them authority. That is exactly what Edsall is doing.

Reaction Score
It wouldn't be so bad if it was just suggestions from Edsall on things he sees or something like that. But it was painfully obviously in the second quarter against Illinois that he forced Guiffre's hand to be ultra conservative essentially causing us to lose that game.

Reaction Score

It's amazing there are still Edsall sycophants.

Reaction Score
The first thing I would criticize of Edsall is what was supposed to be a defense the previous two seasons. My biggest indictment is hiring Crocker and retaining him a second season.

The offense is what it is. Limited talent with inexperienced QBs. But, the primary reason we we have been horrid is a defense bad by historical measure.

Offensive play calling? Well, maybe.....

Reaction Score
This goes back to Chief’s Lashlee’s post a few weeks ago. This environment for an OC has nothing to do with where his wife may prefer to live. You are not going to retain or attract an accomplished, experienced OC under the circumstances.

Yes, because we have the money for both experienced and accomplished OCs. I mean, hey it's been 2 games and why not get a post started for why we should be adding a 9th OC in 9 years for '20!

C

Chief00

Yes, because we have the money for both experienced and accomplished OCs. I mean, hey it's been 2 games and why not get a post started for why we should be adding a 9th OC in 9 years for '20!
Don’t disturb Chief tonight , with a great smoking looking b*tch today
Jersey Shore

Reaction Score
Don’t disturb Chief tonight , with a great smoking looking b*tch today
Jersey Shore

008.jpg

Pictures or it didn’t happen...

Reaction Score
Laslee’s offense was utterly unsuited for the situation the team was facing. You don’t go 3-out in 15 seconds when you don’t have a defense. There are times to go fast and times to use the entire play clock. He didn’t know the difference

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom