Mike Anthony: Stroke survivor and new father Eli Thomas finds value in life-changing year and joy in remaining with the UConn football team | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony: Stroke survivor and new father Eli Thomas finds value in life-changing year and joy in remaining with the UConn football team

Reaction Score
Mike Anthony: Stroke survivor and new father Eli Thomas finds value in life-changing year and joy in remaining with the UConn football team

(For those in article count jail < here)

>>Don’t find yourself with much to celebrate these days as a UConn football fan? Remember that the scoreboard, the standings and even the murky future of the program can take a back seat to something more meaningful.

As a member of the program before, during and after the fight of his life, Thomas has done what every student-athlete should set out to accomplish. He has established a foundation for the rest of his life and found perspective that has brought joy he once thought could only be found by delivering a crunching tackle.<<

>>“I live through the kids on the team,” he said. “I just tell them, ‘Get me a good hit so I can feel it.’ Maybe, mentally, this can help me a little bit but it’s not even about me anymore, it’s about the team. I came here to win. I’m trying to get my team to win. That’s my only goal. Everybody has a role on the team, whether it’s the development squad or the people in the cafeteria. My role is just as important as a starter’s.”<<

Reaction Score
I wrote this on Twitter, but would be really cool to see him wear #6 this weekend. Everything he has overcome, in the spirit in which he has done it, has been super inspiring. Being able to represent #6, on the anniversary of JH's death on the day they honor the '09 team, would be special.

Reaction Score
You read it and you think all the b1tching and moaning here might hit pause for a day or 2 and gain some perspective ..... and then you move to the next thread.

You are exactly right!

While I understand the frustration, I don't really get the incessant harping and complaining. To what end? What does it accomplish other than creating negative feelings and energy?

Then you read about a kid like this, and what he has overcome, and it provides a whole new level of perspective.

Reaction Score
Beautiful Eli, you are such an inspiration. God bless you and your family.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom