Mike Anthony: New UConn offensive coordinator Frank Giufre’s outgoing and sarcastic personality will serve him well as he adjusts | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony: New UConn offensive coordinator Frank Giufre’s outgoing and sarcastic personality will serve him well as he adjusts

Reaction Score
Mike Anthony: New UConn offensive coordinator Frank Giufre’s outgoing and sarcastic personality will serve him well as he adjusts

>>In the meantime, he has quite a project on his hands. Giufre has never called plays. Dunn, it should be noted, had only called half a season as coordinator, at Maryland in 2015 after Edsall was fired.

“I’m not worried about that at all,” Edsall said. “You’re setting the practice plans up. You put the plays on the sheet. You put the game plan down. You establish it and you say, ‘OK, this is what I want to call.’ It’s the adjustments that happen between series, that’s all. You go in with a plan but everything is an adjustment. You have to adjust but you have a lot of that worked out already, before you go into the game.

“That's not my biggest concern. My biggest concern is the guy being able to put it all together and handle the room and be in front of the guys, all that.”<<

>>“I'm just trying to keep this thing going,” he said. “It’s not like we're going to line up and run the Wing T. We're going to line up and do what we did last year. There may be a couple different wrinkles, but for the most part nothing is going to change. We can't do that to the players.

“The biggest thing for me, I've got to learn the receivers’ names. Being the offensive line coach, you sort of put horse blinders on and you're looking at one specific thing, those five guys with the tight end. And now your vision has to expand. I still catch myself putting my eyes right back to the offensive line. It's going to be a process.”<<

Reaction Score
Shortly after being promoted at UConn, Giufre called one of his mentors, former Colts coach Chuck Pagano.

“He said do not, under any circumstances, change who you are,” Giufre said.

Good advice. Maybe he'll even turn into a reincarnation of Bill Parcells.

Reaction Score
“I'm just trying to keep this thing going,” he said. “It’s not like we're going to line up and run the Wing T. We're going to line up and do what we did last year. There may be a couple different wrinkles, but for the most part nothing is going to change. We can't do that to the players."

Not to be one of those negative voices (why do negative comments often start with that), but last year UConn had a 1,000+ yard rushing QB who could not pass to save his life and this year it has several candidates with strong arms and hopefully some pocket escapeability; I would hope the difference in play calling and how UConn lines up would not be "for the most part nothing is going to change".

So you run the same offense for Tom Brady as a rookie Scam Newton? None of the potential QB's for 2019 had meaningful college snaps in 2018 vs. a kid in 2018 who started several games the prior year (and had been incorrectly picked by HCRE2.0 as the starter in 2017). Fan to HCRE2.0: "Don't pick a QB who can manage the game (that is your job), pick one that can pass the damn ball (hopefully mostly to our guys)."

I may not have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express but I did have as many wins against FBS teams in 2018 as HCRE2.0.

Reaction Score
“I'm just trying to keep this thing going,” he said. “It’s not like we're going to line up and run the Wing T. We're going to line up and do what we did last year. There may be a couple different wrinkles, but for the most part nothing is going to change. We can't do that to the players."

Not to be one of those negative voices (why do negative comments often start with that), but last year UConn had a 1,000+ yard rushing QB who could not pass to save his life and this year it has several candidates with strong arms and hopefully some pocket escapeability; I would hope the difference in play calling and how UConn lines up would not be "for the most part nothing is going to change".

So you run the same offense for Tom Brady as a rookie Scam Newton? None of the potential QB's for 2019 had meaningful college snaps in 2018 vs. a kid in 2018 who started several games the prior year (and had been incorrectly picked by HCRE2.0 as the starter in 2017). Fan to HCRE2.0: "Don't pick a QB who can manage the game (that is your job), pick one that can pass the damn ball (hopefully mostly to our guys)."

I may not have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express but I did have as many wins against FBS teams in 2018 as HCRE2.0.

You do Realize probably 80% of Pindells runs last yr were scrambled right?

Reaction Score

He means the playbook and terminologies aren't going to change. The X receiver will still be the same X receiver. Z will be the same Z. Zone right will be the same zone right. Etc.

Reaction Score
He means the playbook and terminologies aren't going to change. The X receiver will still be the same X receiver. Z will be the same Z. Zone right will be the same zone right. Etc.
And that is the advantage that promoting from within gets you -- along with hopefully other things of course. Such as an established relationship with Edsall, most of the other coaches, and most of the players who are gonna get significant PT.

Reaction Score
Maybe we get lucky with a diamond in the rough. I like that Pagano is a mentor.

Edit: We deserve a break.
not going to hold my breathe. People, including myself, were saying the same thing about Verducci.

Reaction Score
not going to hold my breathe. People, including myself, were saying the same thing about Verducci.
Coordinators are definitely important. But in this day and age with advance scouting and film, teams for the most part know what you’re gonna do. Sure you can mix it up and go against the obvious down and distance play call to fool the defense- 80 percent of success in football comes from guys just flat out winning their matchup. In my opinion we have a few guys this year, unlike last year, that seemingly can win a matchup and make a play for us, extend a drive or break off a big one. Quite frankly, Pindell was that guy last year and was responsible for most of whatever success we experienced. Of course that wasn’t ideal coming from the QB. But we have some RB’s and WR’s that can make something happen.
I’m looking forward to seeing that.

On defense, I have no clue. I’m just hoping maturity and a Dillon Harris at the second level can help stave off those big dive runs that killed us last year. Hopefully the secondary has improved and we can get some 3rd down and longs for them to be able to play more aggressively. But again, that’s all just hoping.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom