Mike Anthony mentions Sanogo in the 10th paragraph of his game story. | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony mentions Sanogo in the 10th paragraph of his game story.

Reaction Score
Did he watch the game? We're up 8. Sanogo goes to the bench. Never returns. We lose. The entire Boneyard knows that was the story of the game. You could file the "Bouk's absence make a difference" story every game, every day. That wasn't why we lost. That wasn' the story yesterday.

We deserve better from the "reporters" who cover the Huskies.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Anthony has become a mouthpiece for the athletic department. His puff pieces for access are laughable.

Reaction Score
Did he watch the game? We're up 8. Sanogo goes to the bench. Never returns. We lose. The entire Boneyard knows that was the story of the game. You could file the "Bouk's absence make a difference" story every game, every day. That wasn't why we lost. That wasn' the story yesterday.

I always agree with the need for better reporters

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I mean you really can't expect the reporters to sh all over the coaches, can you? Establishing relationships is part of keeping their job.
It’s not sh all over the coaches, it’s being honest. It’s a journalist’s job and duty to ask and report on the tough topics.
There’s calling out a poor substitution, and then there’s making a personal attack against the coach. Calling out a poor substitution shouldn’t hurt a reporter’s relationship with the coach. If it does, then he’s not the right coach for this program. But knowing Hurley, he can take criticism.

Hurley’s a big boy, a good coach and a strong personality. And he’s getting paid $3 mil a year. I think he can handle some heat when he gets outcoached in a game.

Reaction Score
It’s not sh all over the coaches, it’s being honest. It’s a journalist’s job and duty to ask and report on the tough topics.
There’s calling out a poor substitution, and then there’s making a personal attack against the coach. Calling out a poor substitution shouldn’t hurt a reporter’s relationship with the coach. If it does, then he’s not the right coach for this program. But knowing Hurley, he can take criticism.

Hurley’s a big boy, a good coach and a strong personality. And he’s getting paid $3 mil a year. I think he can handle some heat when he gets outcoached in a game.

Oh I don't disagree. I'm more saying that the reporters WON'T do that because they already are worried about keeping their jobs.

Reaction Score
Who was/is the reporter who didn't really get along with JC? Jacobs? Didn't he imply that JC or Jeff Calhoun didn't like him because he was homosexual?

Does he still cover the Men's team?

Edit: I'm not sure where I got the part about Jacob's sexualality. Researched a minute and I'm not finding it. So maybe I made it up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Who was/is the reporter who didn't really get along with JC? Jacobs? Didn't he imply that JC or Jeff Calhoun didn't like him because he was homosexual?

Edit: I'm not sure where I got the part about Jacob's sexualality. Researched a minute and I'm not finding it. So maybe I made it up.
Awkward!

Props for owning it.

Reaction Score
Didn't read it yet but did he mention how awful the defense was? I think that was more a reason why they lost rather than not having Bouknight. They should be able to beat St. John's without Bouknight. Not a good excuse.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

You're confusing sports and writers. You're probably thinking of Jason Page (who is gay), who claimed he was disliked by the (football) fanbase by it, if memory serves.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Admittedly, some of the paragraphs are only a single line, but by my count, this singular Sanogo reference is from the 14th paragraph (criticism of Mike Anthony not @Palatine intended by the slight correction):

" Adama Sanogo was the game’s best player for a stretch, but Hurley curiously chose to sit him for the final 12:46, explaining that a small St. John’s lineup essentially left no one for Sanogo to guard."

"Curiously," indeed.
No follow-up on any such curiosity, except to come up with 'essence' rather than a direct quote on the explanation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dom Amore:

Hurley: “With (Julian) Champagnie or (Marcellus) Earlington at [center for St. John’s] for literally the last 10-12 minutes, and Champagnie is a player-of-the-year candidate who is a wing and Earlington was lighting us up [from the perimeter], the only option would be to put Adama on one of the guards. It put us in a bad spot.”

A coach knows his personnel best, and it’s all hindsight, but with the game gradually slipping away, it would have been worth trying some way to get Sanogo back on the floor.

Reaction Score
Dom Amore:

Hurley: “With (Julian) Champagnie or (Marcellus) Earlington at [center for St. John’s] for literally the last 10-12 minutes, and Champagnie is a player-of-the-year candidate who is a wing and Earlington was lighting us up [from the perimeter], the only option would be to put Adama on one of the guards. It put us in a bad spot.”

A coach knows his personnel best, and it’s all hindsight, but with the game gradually slipping away, it would have been worth trying some way to get Sanogo back on the floor.
It would put the Johnnies in a bad spot too. I'not sure who said it, but someone suggested to show a little zone. If it does not work, we lose anyhow. You could see and feel it slipping away. If they hit free throws maybe we win, but...

Reaction Score
A player of the year candidate! Heaven forbid.

This coach overthinks everything and overthought himself out of a W.

C

Chief00

It would put the Johnnies in a bad spot too. I'not sure who said it, but someone suggested to show a little zone. If it does not work, we lose anyhow. You could see and feel it slipping away. If they hit free throws maybe we win, but...
You don’t let the other team dictate matchups. You try to dictate match-iOS. Only if that fails do you go to plan B. Another, basic coach the scoreboard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom