Mike Anthony: It’s time for David Benedict to handle the football problems that UConn’s Big East move creates. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony: It’s time for David Benedict to handle the football problems that UConn’s Big East move creates.

Reaction Score
If the plan is to go out on our own and take control of our destiny and $, leverage a revitalized national hoops program ...

That is the plan. But it comes with a cost. The AAC for all its faults was the only place UConn football could grow into a respectable major program. It could within the context of the plan become a respectable program at the FCS level. So the plan is to deliberately sacrifice the football program in order to protect the interests of the MBB program. This was done with forethought and intent. UConn has deliberately chosen to not compete at a major level in football ever again. There is no longer any FBS future for UConn. Independence is a lie people tell themselves to avoid admitting the obvious.

It remains to be seen whether this is a good bet. It depends entirely - entirely - on the long term prospects of the NBE. The administration might not think it had a better option. But it should at least be honest about what it has done.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not trying to be a Debbie downer here but UCONN basketball has been brutal since the NC.
That's when being in the AAC really took hold. Now the team is crawling from the wreckage.

Reaction Score
Ehh, thanks for posting medic but it's a pretty lame article. Really doesn't say much. I was hoping he'd lay out some options or scenarios for scheduling as an independent. Instead he lifts up the obvious (UMASS, 2 for 1s, and prior games). He shares no inside information, insight, or even imagination. It seems as though he read the Boneyard and didn't even talk to anyone on campus, the AAC, or anywhere in college football. I guess I shouldn't expect too much for an article written on a Sunday.
If he read the boneyard he would probably have much better insight then he currently has.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Moving forward from this short sighted decision, Anyone know UConn’s remaining liability for playing at the Rent? Are they required to play there or is an on campus 20,000 seat facility in the future?
They’ll never build a campus stadium...

C

Chief00

I get your point but not sure what kind of access anyone is getting @ this point (which is kinda the point of the article)

Thought this was interesting:

>>Benedict made pushing UConn through the Big East door his top priority over the past six months. Two years ago, UConn’s negotiation with the Big East started at the top, with university presidents, and hardly made its way down to athletic directors and coaches, dissolving at the top. This time, UConn approached it the opposite way, with Benedict first working closely with fellow ADs and their staffs, from the bottom to the top, so to speak.<<
Herbst is not well liked by her peers.

Reaction Score
Ehh, thanks for posting medic but it's a pretty lame article. Really doesn't say much. I was hoping he'd lay out some options or scenarios for scheduling as an independent. Instead he lifts up the obvious (UMASS, 2 for 1s, and prior games). He shares no inside information, insight, or even imagination. It seems as though he read the Boneyard and didn't even talk to anyone on campus, the AAC, or anywhere in college football. I guess I shouldn't expect too much for an article written on a Sunday.
It's a Mike Anthony story, what did you expect? The king of regurgitation.

Reaction Score
not a benedict guy but warde manuel is 20x more guilty of that crime.
This is all 100 percent on Sue. At the most crucial time ever she had Paul, "the Tectonic plates are moving too fast", Pendergast in there.

Too say we were blindsided when that happened is an understatement.

B12

Reaction Score
That is the plan. But it comes with a cost. The AAC for all its faults was the only place UConn football could grow into a respectable major program. It could within the context of the plan become a respectable program at the FCS level. So the plan is to deliberately sacrifice the football program in order to protect the interests of the MBB program. This was done with forethought and intent. UConn has deliberately chosen to not compete at a major level in football ever again. There is no longer any FBS future for UConn. Independence is a lie people tell themselves to avoid admitting the obvious.

It remains to be seen whether this is a good bet. It depends entirely - entirely - on the long term prospects of the NBE. The administration might not think it had a better option. But it should at least be honest about what it has done.
I tend to agree. The g-5 portion of FBS is a sham. 20 million $ ad's competing with 200M AD's. No path to the NC. Might as well just be real.

You thinking Patriot or Colonial?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
And the way they frame it... How they’ll overcome all of the extra added fees and income disparities with an influx of donations that haven’t been there before, sounds so foggy...

It reminds me of people who sign pledges to their churches at the beginning of every year. Somehow the churches never seem to receive the entire amount pledged.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
It reminds me of people who sign pledges to their churches at the beginning of every year. Somehow the churches never seem to receive the entire amount pledged.
Talk to a scientologist. Catholics are doing it wrong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom