Mike Anthony: How long will Jim Calhoun coach? ‘For as long as I can coach’ | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony: How long will Jim Calhoun coach? ‘For as long as I can coach’

Reaction Score
Mike Anthony: How long will Jim Calhoun coach? ‘For as long as I can coach’

>>“I'm committed to continuing,” Calhoun said. “It's not one day at a time, but I want to make sure at the start of the season I'm ready to go. I'm doing the job to get there.” <<

>>He’s on an upswing. I’ve seen Calhoun up close and often through many of his health problems over the past 15 years. This is one of those times when he’d typically return to his 100 MPH, move-or-I’ll-run-you-over way of operating, waking up to find a battle to fight because that’s what keeps the engine turning. I’ve always said he’s great for the same reasons he can be difficult.

But there’s something different this time, something additional. That fulfillment. There is hope. New fields are being built. Ground will be broken on a new basketball facility in August. Heck, Calhoun got excited Wednesday while describing a makeover to the USJ cafeteria. He has new neighbors on the little campus, new friends, “a commonality that you find [that] should never be wiped away by time and circumstance.”<<

Not bad considering there were some who said he would never actually coach a game @ USJ.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am always grateful for what Calhoun is doing for USJ. The St Joseph expansion into health sciences, coed enrollment is suceeding beyond the highest expectations. Calhoun is a great ambassador for it. He/They are doing great things for Hartford

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I am always grateful for what Calhoun is doing for USJ. The St Joseph expansion into health sciences, coed enrollment is suceeding beyond the highest expectations. Calhoun is a great ambassador for it. He/They are doing great things for Hartford
I'm as grateful for what the USJ opportunity has done for Coach. It put some bounce back in his step, and fuels his energy and excitement level, every day.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Calhoun needs coaching just as much as he needs air, food and water to survive. It gives him something to look forward to, and live for. He's a basketball coach, through and through.

I was once working at a county courthouse in a small population county researching land records. Sometimes small counties close their County Clerk offices on election days because the staff are working on the election and can't do both jobs. The clerk's office was closed on Tuesday, so rather than the day being unproductive, I went over to the local title company which had an abstract plant. I worked all day there. The manager was an 88 year old woman. She was a wonderful lady, and as sharp as any 88 year old person I've ever met. I could name a family I was researching and off the top of her head she could remember the names of their ancestors and how they were related to the people I was researching. She had been the County Clerk and was forced to retire at age 65 due to mandatory civil service retirement rules. She told me she sat at home for a week and realized she'd be dead within a year without something to do. She got the job at the title co. and had been there ever since.

Calhoun is one of those people. Here's hoping he lives to age 88 and beyond doing the job he was born to do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom