Mike Anthony: Eli Thomas, now a UConn graduate, returning to college football two years after suffering stroke | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony: Eli Thomas, now a UConn graduate, returning to college football two years after suffering stroke

Reaction Score

>>Thomas is returning to college football as a player at Minnesota State, whenever the pandemic allows. And to hear him these days — to understand his existence and the course he is clearing into a future once jeopardized — is to appreciate the irony of his being silenced and immobilized.<<

>>“Another chapter in the book is done, and I’m excited,” Thomas said. “Life is definitely crazy, and life is short. But, honestly, I don’t even really think about the stroke that much. Life keeps going, every day. Today is today and tomorrow is going to be there — on time — so to me there’s no point in even really thinking back that much. It’s in the past for a reason.”<<

>>UConn never cleared him to play. Stroke recovery is typically a year, shorter or longer in many cases, and Thomas’ return to football with the Huskies would have come at about the 10-month mark. UConn’s medical team, led by Deena Casiero, made the right call. Thomas doesn’t begrudge the decision. “I understand it, but it was frustrating,” Thomas said. “I want my career to end on my terms. But I made brothers at UConn these past two years, and I couldn’t leave them [before last season], especially after being named captain. I wanted to stick it out and finish strong.”<<

Alternate access link here but it cuts off the last paragraph: “People may not believe it, but I gained — I don’t know if it was just incentive — but I gained something that made me an even better athlete, weird things that I wouldn’t even realize until it happened,” Thomas said. “I just feel different. And that’s why I’m not scared. My body feels fine. I feel stronger. It’s weird. I can’t even explain it. I’m am stronger, for sure, mentally and physically, because I had to push myself harder.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01
Top Bottom