Mike Anthony: Dan Hurley and UConn are winning the Northeast, turning vision to reality one recruiting class at a time | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony: Dan Hurley and UConn are winning the Northeast, turning vision to reality one recruiting class at a time

Reaction Score
Mike Anthony: Dan Hurley and UConn are winning the Northeast, turning vision to reality one recruiting class at a time

Alternate access

"But really trying to avoid talking about the conference a lot, because it [didn’t] really fit where a kid from Philly or Brooklyn or Jersey dreams of playing in college,” he said. “Obviously that changed when the Big East happened for us, which has really changed the way we present our vision to players: playing in potentially the best basketball conference in the country.”

Reaction Score

Alternate access

"But really trying to avoid talking about the conference a lot, because it [didn’t] really fit where a kid from Philly or Brooklyn or Jersey dreams of playing in college,” he said. “Obviously that changed when the Big East happened for us, which has really changed the way we present our vision to players: playing in potentially the best basketball conference in the country.”
What it's all about right here. We are first and foremost a northeast powerhouse, which brought to us our hard earned national recognition and championships. This is the UConn brand.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Great work by Hurley. The plus side of the Big East is that it is super-charging recruiting. The tough side (for Hurley) is that the team needs to bring their A game every night. There is no downside for us fans because this schedule is going to be a lot of fun to watch.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I'm excited about the recruiting success, and giddy over the possibilities of what the next few years might bring. Stoked for the season ahead. But what I need now, is to see us win some games. Crush some cupcakes and dominate some established teams. At the very least, reach the BE finals and taste the 3rd game of the real tourney. And sometime while I'm still around to appreciate it, make Storrs the basketball capital of the world again. Looking forward to the journey. As a fan base, it's not uncharted territory for us. We have a few on the coaching staff that have been there, to help lead the way. And Hurley & company's recruiting success so far sure makes it look possible.

Is it game time yet?

Reaction Score

Alternate access

Just don't tell rip7774 this. Doesn't fit his argument that the Big East won't help recruiting.

Reaction Score
I'm excited about the recruiting success, and giddy over the possibilities of what the next few years might bring. Stoked for the season ahead. But what I need now, is to see us win some games. Crush some cupcakes and dominate some established teams. At the very least, reach the BE finals and taste the 3rd game of the real tourney. And sometime while I'm still around to appreciate it, make Storrs the basketball capital of the world again. Looking forward to the journey. As a fan base, it's not uncharted territory for us. We have a few on the coaching staff that have been there, to help lead the way. And Hurley & company's recruiting success so far sure makes it look possible.

Is it game time yet?
I have a feeling that you won't be waiting long. The women are crushing the hell out of recruiting and the men are on a very sharp rise. I smell Calhoun level success, and soon. But I'm a homer.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I smell Calhoun level success, and soon. But I'm a homer.
Homer?
I have several spare pairs of national flag blue tinted glasses to view the BBall world through, in case I ever misplace one.
I would have made the late Tommy Heinson look like an impartial observer if I had the opportunity to be a UConn BBall commentator.

Reaction Score
Homer?
I have several spare pairs of national flag blue tinted glasses to view the BBall world through, in case I ever misplace one.
I would have made the late Tommy Heinson look like an impartial observer if I had the opportunity to be a UConn BBall commentator.
Lol we'd get along just fine it seems. Haha

Reaction Score

Is it game time yet?

Let's go!
You're right about mid-majors the last 8-10 years..........lots of nail biters, some OT's and even a few losses. Our trademark in the Golden Years, doubling scores at the half and winning by more than 40, went up in smoke. No domination of big time teams lately but you could see the future on the horizon in the last half of last season.

Reaction Score

Is it game time yet?
We have to win some meaningful games to sustain the effort.
We haven’t won a big game since 2016 that’s forever in a program like ours
Hopefully we get to play and win some this year..

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
We have to win some meaningful games to sustain the effort.
We haven’t won a big game since 2016 that’s forever in a program like ours
Hopefully we get to play and win some this year..
I accept the fact that we have to adjust our definition of big wins after the past 4 or 5 years of mediocrity in the no fun at all conference, and in that light, I consider both the Memphis and Houston wins late last year to be big wins. Correspondingly, I consider the double OT Temple loss in that same stretch to be a bad loss. It was a game that was within our grasp, and one we should have won. Those are the only three games I actually remember from last year. II'm looking forward to a lot more memorable games featuring memorable performances this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom