Mike Anthony article on Bouk | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony article on Bouk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was actually thinking about this topic after the game. To me it seemed like Bouknight wanted to start fast and dominate, which he did. Then it seemed like he wanted his teammates to get involved and didn’t want to hog all of the shots. By doing that, he lost all of his rhythm and the rest of his shots looked forced. That was my take. He clearly likes him teammates and wants everyone to be involved. Hurley needs to have a talk with him. I remember a similar thing happening to another Uconn great. Maybe it was Kemba? I don’t remember exactly. I do remember Calhoun talking to someone and telling them to just take the game over. You’re the best player on the court. Don’t worry about anything else.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I was actually thinking about this topic after the game. To me it seemed like Bouknight wanted to start fast and dominate, which he did. Then it seemed like he wanted his teammates to get involved and didn’t want to hog all of the shots. By doing that, he lost all of his rhythm and the rest of his shots looked forced. That was my take. He clearly likes him teammates and wants everyone to be involved. Hurley needs to have a talk with him. I remember a similar thing happening to another Uconn great. Maybe it was Kemba? I don’t remember exactly. I do remember Calhoun talking to someone and telling them to just take the game over. You’re the best player on the court. Don’t worry about anything else.

Opposite of Kemba and Bazz

Reaction Score
Calhoun always rode Ben Gordon and even nicknamed him "Gentle" Ben. JC obviously saw the potential and wanted Ben to develop that "killer instinct" because had a tendency to be a bit aloof. Pretty soon it will become clear that Bouknight is the #1 guy, and we will not see many games where he disappears. It will come to a point where this team will go as far as Bouknight takes them a la Kemba in 2011 and Shabazz in 2014.

Reaction Score
Calhoun always rode Ben Gordon and even nicknamed him "Gentle" Ben. JC obviously saw the potential and wanted Ben to develop that "killer instinct" because had a tendency to be a bit aloof.

And a national championship and being the third pick in the draft erases the fact that he was still harping on this through the 2004 Big East Tournament, when Emeka was hurt and there was some uncertainty as to whether Ben would step up and assert himself. (Spoiler: he did.)

Reaction Score
And a national championship and being the third pick in the draft erases the fact that he was still harping on this through the 2004 Big East Tournament, when Emeka was hurt and there was some uncertainty as to whether Ben would step up and assert himself. (Spoiler: he did.)
Yes, and this is why Ben should be in the Huskies of Honor. I know he's had issues with his personal life as of late, but hopefully he is now on the right track. We don't win the 2004 Championship without Ben Gordon playing at the high level that he did. Sometimes I feel that is forgotten since Emeka got all the accolades, but Ben played great in the Big East and NCAA Tournament.

Reaction Score
As great as Kemba was junior year I remember in years 1 and 2 him continually driving into the trees and getting stuffed. Happened a lot. To expect Bouk to completely dominate 2 games into year 2 is not reasonable.

Reaction Score
Kemba wasn’t aggressive At looking for his shot his first couple of years at Uconn. He deferred to the upperclassmen. Obviously his junior year he imposed his will and lead the team.
But he always started the game distributing more and forcing the issue to draw defenders and kick to the Lambs/Jamals of the team. That usually didn't go too too well, and then in the 2nd half it became the Kemba show, that's how I remember it at least

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
81 points in 3 games! A record at the time!

Reaction Score
But he always started the game distributing more and forcing the issue to draw defenders and kick to the Lambs/Jamals of the team. That usually didn't go too too well, and then in the 2nd half it became the Kemba show, that's how I remember it at least
Lamb wasn't on the team Kemba's first couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom