Mike Anthony: Another miserable UConn football season is not cause for Randy Edsall’s firing | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony: Another miserable UConn football season is not cause for Randy Edsall’s firing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Randy wants players that fit his style. He’s not going to build a team with what he has. That’s the problem. Randy’s style existed 20-years ago. This isn’t Army or Navy where you have “tough” kids that fit your system. I’m good with giving him another year (although I don’t think it will matter), but I don’t want to hear his excuses next year. Those are pretty much “his guys”. If they stink, that’s entirely on him.

Reaction Score
Let’s sack Randy. And if his replacement doesn’t have us at 6-6 in two years, let’s sack him, too. And then we’ll give his replacement one year to get us to the Top 25. If he can’t do that, let’s sack him.
I like it....”I don’t lose, I win or I learn.” If you’re not learning from your failures, it’s time for a new approach (or in this case....coach). #growthmindset

Reaction Score
Let’s sack Randy. And if his replacement doesn’t have us at 6-6 in two years, let’s sack him, too. And then we’ll give his replacement one year to get us to the Top 25. If he can’t do that, let’s sack him.

Interesting - who said Randy should be 6-6? I think what people expect is progress. Not one win to 8 wins in one year. They want to see a program pointed in the right direction. A coherent plan. Not just talk.

How anyone thinks he deserves another year boggles my mind. He has done nothing to show he is turning the program around. Not his coaching on the field, not his recruiting (and I don’t mean class ranks I could care less about that. It’s about how the players he has recruited have done)

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

In three seasons we've beaten the teams below:

Holy Cross by 7
Temple by 4
Tulsa by 6

URI by 7

Wagner by 3
UMass by 21

To recap we have 3 FCS wins by a combined total of 17 points. Beat Temple and Tulsa by single digits. Beat the worst FBS team in the history of college football by 21.

What exactly are your expectations or hopes for this program that lead you to the conclusion that keeping Edsall for another 2 win season has any merit or semblance of coherent thought?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mike Anthony: Another miserable UConn football season is not cause for Randy Edsall’s firing

>Did you really expect Edsall, standing outside the Huskies’ locker room following a 49-17 loss to Temple Saturday at Lincoln Financial Field, to say much more than that? He’s not built that way.

What would you want to hear, anyway? A long-winded justification for remaining as coach into a fourth year? I tried to get Edsall to open up about process, plan and program but knew I had the same odds of succeeding there as UConn had of succeeding on the field against the Owls.

UConn lost and we knew this would be. Edsall is the coach and we know this will continue to be, particularly after athletic director David Benedict voiced his full support during a halftime conversation.<<

Alternate access link

We need to move on from Randy! We aren't going to be better than a 2 win season next year with him. Time to find a coach who will bring in a exciting offense and a defensive coach who will give us the defense we had in the early 2000s.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Addazio and Strong in the wings both got canned not sure what they could offer if anything at all, too bad it wasn’t next year

Reaction Score
I figured w/ BC's win over PITT & qualifying for a bowl that would buy Addazio another year. I for one hope DB is speaking w/ him tonight, he'd be a solid upgrade over RE, is already used to doing more w/ less

Reaction Score
Interesting - who said Randy should be 6-6? I think what people expect is progress. Not one win to 8 wins in one year. They want to see a program pointed in the right direction. A coherent plan. Not just talk.

How anyone thinks he deserves another year boggles my mind. He has done nothing to show he is turning the program around. Not his coaching on the field, not his recruiting (and I don’t mean class ranks I could care less about that. It’s about how the players he has recruited have done)
The team will be competitive next year. We’ll finally see improvement. This is not the time for another coaching change unless you want players to leave and continued confusion in the program.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I figured w/ BC's win over PITT & qualifying for a bowl that would buy Addazio another year. I for one hope DB is speaking w/ him tonight, he'd be a solid upgrade over RE, is already used to doing more w/ less

Randy Edsall is not being fired, period. From the article at the top of the thread:

I came to Philadelphia Saturday not wondering whether UConn could defeat Temple, but seeking thoughts from the program’s two leaders. Many would argue, I said to Benedict at halftime, that the process should be farther along than it is.

“I totally disagree,” he said. “You can’t just look at it in the window of Randy’s three years. You have to look at the previous six years. When you have four different head coaches leading a program in the span of six years, you’re totally rebuilding from the ground up, just in the nature of how recruiting classes work. When you have a transition year between coaches, you in essence lose a class. A coaching staff, it takes a year or two to develop the relationships to recruit the kids that they want. Obviously, you can’t do that in 30 days. So we’ve had multiple transitions in a short period of time.”

Is Edsall still the right man for the job? Why?

“Absolutely,” Benedict said. “For the same reasons we brought him here. Randy understands how to evaluate kids we can recruit to UConn, which is different than other places. And he understands what it takes to develop kids. He's very disciplined. He's very straightforward with the guys. You're beginning to see some of the younger talent develop. That's an evolution and you can't speed that up in the sport of football. It takes so many kids to be successful in a game and over the course of an entire season.”

Reaction Score
The team will be competitive next year. We’ll finally see improvement. This is not the time for another coaching change unless you want players to leave and continued confusion in the program.

competitive with horrid teams on the schedule, yes. Continued confusion? It will lead to clarity. You think prospective players think HCRE is on solid ground? They didn’t win a conference game in two years. Two. Years. A new hire brings interest and hope. what do you call the player exodus last year?

Reaction Score
we can’t wait. There has been nothing to indicate this team will be good anytime soon. Absolute best case scenario is the team is mediocre next year. And that’s with a ton of things falling their way.

get rid of the staff.
Mediocre is the new good in UConn’s football reality. I wouldn’t expect anything better than mediocre in the future. However, mediocre would be a giant improvement.

Reaction Score
Edsall was an adequate coach 10 years ago. Never as good as he thought he was. His overall defensive conservatism won’t change. As an independent I can’t imagine his ability to draw game changing recruits will improve. So I can’t see his defenses improving. But hey, he doubled the win total from last year and they were competitive in an additional two losses.
Edsall had team defenses continuously ranked in the top third of D1 save for 2006. Some in the top quarter. These were with recruiting classes constantly ranked last or near last in the conference with many of those recruits getting shots in the pros. I think an independent schedule filled with B1G, ACC, service academies and local fcs teams is more attractive than recruiting an AAC schedule. He did screw the pooch when he first got here by wasting a largely upperclassmen heavy defense from what I believe were PP recruits. He has a history of bringing in relatively unregarded recruits becoming very good defensive players.

Reaction Score
The only way Edsall will be let go is if a mystery booster conditions Randy’s dismissal to a $30M donation targeted at covering football coaching staff salaries for the next 5 years. Anyone see that happening? No? Then Edsall’s staying.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Edsall had team defenses continuously ranked in the top third of D1 save for 2006. Some in the top quarter. These were with recruiting classes constantly ranked last or near last in the conference with many of those recruits getting shots in the pros. I think an independent schedule filled with B1G, ACC, service academies and local fcs teams is more attractive than recruiting an AAC schedule. He did screw the pooch when he first got here by wasting a largely upperclassmen heavy defense from what I believe were PP recruits. He has a history of bringing in relatively unregarded recruits becoming very good defensive players.
Hopefully, but in the wide open, QB oriented AAC he either had no young LB with talent, or they were being held back and were rarely used to attack and pretty bad at filling holes. Slightly better DBs. The BE wasn’t as wide open. Depending on getting diamonds in the rough is pretty hit or miss. We’ll see.

Reaction Score
Hopefully, but in the wide open, QB oriented AAC he either had no young LB with talent, or they were being held back and were rarely used to attack and pretty bad at filling holes. Slightly better DBs. The BE wasn’t as wide open. Depending on getting diamonds in the rough is pretty hit or miss. We’ll see.
I'm hopeful CZ. But if no discernable improvement he wont see a 5th year.He should have a lot of third year or older players and hopefully trasnsfers/grads/jucos next year and a serviceable Qb and a... Lol.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
What would it take for Edsall to get fired after next season's results? 4 wins or less? We've heard for about 3 years now how young this team is and how some players shouldn't even be playing. Shouldn't they finally be maturing and showing some progress by next season? What will the excuses be if they don't? The majority of their games have been unwatchable. How long is what's left of the fan base supposed to just go along with the status quo?
I'd put the over/under at 3.5. 4 is close and would depend on whether the team is competing seems to be trending up. 5 definitely is enough to give him a 5th year.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
In three seasons we've beaten the teams below:

Holy Cross by 7
Temple by 4
Tulsa by 6

URI by 7

Wagner by 3
UMass by 21
So you are saying we are dominating the northeast?

It's less about Randy than the message it sends to future coaching prospects. "Come to UConn and play in empty stadium 30 miles off campus without any bowl affiliations. Oh and we won't give you a chance to turn the program around since we cycle in new coaches every three and have been doing it the last decade." Once we committed to Randy we were locked into 4 years unless he started hitting kids with a bat.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The single biggest failure of HCREII was his failure to do better in his first year here. He had a QB and a defensive core who had been mediocre enough to get to 6-6 two years earlier. He took everything apart to rebuild it, rather than coming in asking if with some luck he could get back to 6-6. Criticism that he didn't do better that year is spot on. But, when we hired him, we knew from his track record here and at Maryland that he was going to rebuild the program from the ground up, and not look to put it off trying to sneak into a bowl in year one. So we got what the school elected.

The last two years have been a disaster, this one obviously much less so than last year. Either you think Edsall is the worst coach in the history of college football, which I think is nuts given what he did here the first time, or you conclude that once the last P recruits moved on Diaco didn't leave us with players with which he could compete, we simply weren't going to be competitive. I believe the latter. To be clear, I'm not saying that a more innovative coach couldn't have stolen one or two more wins each year. That is always possible when you aren't winning games you have a shot at. But in terms of how the rebuild is going, as a long term matter, ask me after next year. At the moment, I'm willing to say the results have (obviously) been unacceptable, but the jury is out on whether the long term prognosis is o.k.

That having been said, I still fear that life as an independent leaves mediocrity as a ceiling. If fans want the cieling to be higher, buy tickets so we have more excitement to show recruits and more money to hire coaches with.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The single biggest failure of HCREII was his failure to do better in his first year here. He had a QB and a defensive core who had been mediocre enough to get to 6-6 two years earlier. He took everything apart to rebuild it, rather than coming in asking if with some luck he could get back to 6-6. Criticism that he didn't do better that year is spot one. But, when we hired him, we knew from his track record here and at Maryland that he was going to rebuild the program from the ground up, and not look to put it off trying to sneak into a bowl in year one. So we got what the school elected.

The last two years have been a disaster, this one obviously much less so than last year. Either you think Edsall is the worst coach in the history of college football, which I think is nuts given what he did here the first time, or you conclude that once the last P recruits moved on Diaco didn't leave us with players with which he could compete and we weren't going to be competitive. I believe the latter. To be clear, I'm not saying that a more innovative coach couldn't have stolen one or two more wins each year. That is always possible when you aren't winning games you have a shot at. But in terms of how the rebuild is going, as a long term matter, ask me after next year. At the moment, I'm willing to say the results have (obviously) been unacceptable, but the jury is out on whether the long term prognosis is o.k.

That having been said, I still fear that life as an independent leaves mediocrity as ceiling. If fans want the cieling to be better, buy tickets so we have more excitement to show recruits and more money to hire coaches with.

That's my issue. That 1st year had better talent than even he has brought in. He could have tried to win and done his rebuild. The issue is he went with Crocker and it didn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom