Mike Anderson has St. John’s stabilized and ready to wage Garden battles with UConn men | The Boneyard

Mike Anderson has St. John’s stabilized and ready to wage Garden battles with UConn men

Reaction Score
Forgot to post this yesterday. Figured might as well keep the series about the Big East teams from Dom Amore going on here.

“I love versatile players, I love athletic players, I love winners,” Anderson said. “You want to get the best players who fit what you do. We want to play an up-tempo style of basketball, at both ends, defensively getting after you, attacking you on offense. I like basketball players, guys with good basketball IQs and I’m a big character guy. When you talk about the makeup of my program, I want guys who want to win on the floor and guys who win off the floor and my staff is going to be an example of that. We’re going to do things the right way.”

For those without Courant access: Mike Anderson has St. John’s stabilized and ready to wage Garden battles with UConn men

Reaction Score
Anderson: "I like basketball players, guys with good basketball IQs and I’m a big character guy. "
Seems like a great guy for St.John's. Hope he's successful so the league gets even more hype from the NYC and national media............of course, as long he's not more successful than DH!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I always liked Mike Anderson. I think he is a good coach that made a big career mistake in going to Arkansas. Nolan Richardson got to Arkansas at the intersection of the beginning Prop 48 and colleges not recruiting JUCOs. Tarkanian and Richardson cleaned up the JUCO ranks for about 8 years, and had a ton of success doing so, then colleges got better at getting their recruits eligible, and more coaches started looking at JUCOs. When other schools figure out how to manage around Prop 48, UNLV and Arkansas went into a pretty rapid decline. Neither school has been better than mediocre since the mid 90's.

At Arkansas, Anderson had no geographic advantage in recruiting since Arkansas does not produce that much top tier basketball talent, played in a conference that wasn't that interesting to city kids from Texas and the north, but had a fanbase with high expectations.

I think Anderson will be successful at St. Johns. He plays a fun style and has a great recruiting region to work with. Steve Lavin was a terrible game coach and he had some success at St. Johns. Mullin struggled, but then being a high level, D1 basketball Head Coach is not a 20 hours a week job. Anderson doesn't need to get the top kids out of New York to win with his system. He needs a couple of scorers and athletic street ballers that are willing to hustle. New York metro has plenty of those.

Reaction Score
I watched several St. John’s games last season and believe Anderson is a very good coach. His team plays an end to end fast paced game which uses interchangeable parts thereby making LJ Figueroa (sp?) less important In the St John’s offense and likely caused him to transfer.

I don’t know how good St John’s will be this season but believe that Anderson is a big- big upgrade over coaching lightweights Mullin and Lavin.

Can’t wait for UConn to finally play conference games against long time rivals.

Reaction Score
I like what Anderson said about Heron after an injury ended his season:

“The thing I love about him,” Anderson said, “he stayed the course and went with the plan. He was rehabbing, trying to get back on the floor, but he was on the sidelines coaching and encouraging our players. And then at the end of the day, he got a degree and hopefully he gets a chance to play professionally.”

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The statement was the perfect combination of Ollie and Diaco. I'm not concerned at all.

Reaction Score
Weren't the advanced stats on LJ pretty meh?
He had a really long slump at one point when Heron was out and he tried to carry the whole team. But honestly everyone on that team was inefficient besides Roberts (very low USG%) and Champagnie who has the potential to be their star.

Reaction Score
I always liked Mike Anderson. I think he is a good coach that made a big career mistake in going to Arkansas. Nolan Richardson got to Arkansas at the intersection of the beginning Prop 48 and colleges not recruiting JUCOs. Tarkanian and Richardson cleaned up the JUCO ranks for about 8 years, and had a ton of success doing so, then colleges got better at getting their recruits eligible, and more coaches started looking at JUCOs. When other schools figure out how to manage around Prop 48, UNLV and Arkansas went into a pretty rapid decline. Neither school has been better than mediocre since the mid 90's.

At Arkansas, Anderson had no geographic advantage in recruiting since Arkansas does not produce that much top tier basketball talent, played in a conference that wasn't that interesting to city kids from Texas and the north, but had a fanbase with high expectations.

I think Anderson will be successful at St. Johns. He plays a fun style and has a great recruiting region to work with. Steve Lavin was a terrible game coach and he had some success at St. Johns. Mullin struggled, but then being a high level, D1 basketball Head Coach is not a 20 hours a week job. Anderson doesn't need to get the top kids out of New York to win with his system. He needs a couple of scorers and athletic street ballers that are willing to hustle. New York metro has plenty of those.
Nice post, definitely agree

Reaction Score
Like Marv in Home Alone 2

"Oh, yeah! Yup! I've worked all the kinks out if it... solid as a rock!"

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The statement was the perfect combination of Ollie and Diaco. I'm not concerned at all.
LOL
Some people just don't get it
see, I gave you Head bang a laugh

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34