Mikayla Venson Leaving Virginia | The Boneyard

Mikayla Venson Leaving Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She was a highly regarded player from Northern Virginia. HoopGurlz had her as the #44 player overall.

Reaction Score
If true, devistating for UVA. She's their best player going forward. Boyle in last year of contract. Doesn't speak well for the future. Lost Imovbioh to USC last year. Makes me wonder what's going on.

Reaction Score
Your link doesn't mention her departure. Do have a li

The Virginia Women's Basketball program announced earlier today that Sophomore Mikayla Venson—the team's leading scorer at 15.1 points per game—was leaving the women's program.

The timing of this announcement is interesting, given that the season isn't over. The Wahoos will face Virginia Commonwealth University on Thursday.

Head Coach Joanne Boyle had the following to say about the departure:

"Mikayla has made a decision that she feels is in her best interest," said head coach Joanne Boyle. "Our focus is on moving forward to develop the student-athletes in our program and prepare to play VCU in the WNIT on Thursday. I will have no further comment on this matter."

This is a big loss for Virginia, as the team will now need to replace their top two scorers from this season. Their second-leading scorer, Faith Randolph, graduates this year. That leaves Breyana Mason as the leading returning Cavalier at 10.1 points per game.

Reaction Score
Boyle was a rising star who seems to have flamed out. She did well at Richmond, was off to a really good start at Cal, then took the UVa job and has had done virtually nothing.

Reaction Score
Leaving while the season isn't over and your school is NIT bound isn't the best of looks. Might be a spot for her at Tennessee?

Reaction Score
If true, devistating for UVA. She's their best player going forward. Boyle in last year of contract. Doesn't speak well for the future. Lost Imovbioh to USC last year. Makes me wonder what's going on.

A lot of people thought Boyle was going to be the next great coach. It hasn't happen at Virginia. Vinson is super talented. She has a lot of Brene Moseley in her. Maryland would take her if they had a spot but they don't. (which is probably a good thing).

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
1) "Mikayla has made a decision that she feels is in her best interest" -- Coach Joanne Boyle. "Feels." "Best Interest." Strong coach code words.
2) Isn't Sarah Imovioh a grad student transfer to SC? Could be other reasons surrounding that transfer, but two high profile transfers don't bode well for on-court performance and/or perception...particularly if you're in the last year of your contract.
3) That said, she has two top 50 2016 Hoopgurlz recruits coming in: Jocelyn Willoughby, a 6'0" wing from Newark Academy, who had a good year after coming back from an injury junior year; and, Dominque Toussaint, a 5'10"guard from Bob Mackey's Christ the King program in Queens. (She's the running mate of Sydney Zambrotta, the 5'9" point guard going to Louisville, a common name on some threads these days.)

Is that contract up this year? Or next? If the former, this could be bear watching...

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Hi...is that contract up at end of this year (2015-2016) or upcoming (2016-2017)? If the former, this could bear some watching. Thanks for advising...

Reaction Score
Coach Boyle has received a 2 year contract extension

Imovioh my have left because of Venson

Reaction Score
1) "Mikayla has made a decision that she feels is in her best interest" -- Coach Joanne Boyle. "Feels." "Best Interest." Strong coach code words.
2) Isn't Sarah Imovioh a grad student transfer to SC? Could be other reasons surrounding that transfer, but two high profile transfers don't bode well for on-court performance and/or perception...particularly if you're in the last year of your contract.
3) That said, she has two top 50 2016 Hoopgurlz recruits coming in: Jocelyn Willoughby, a 6'0" wing from Newark Academy, who had a good year after coming back from an injury junior year; and, Dominque Toussaint, a 5'10"guard from Bob Mackey's Christ the King program in Queens. (She's the running mate of Sydney Zambrotta, the 5'9" point guard going to Louisville, a common name on some threads these days.)

Is that contract up this year? Or next? If the former, this could be bear watching...
The contract is up next year. As I look back at the past two years (I'm a season UVA women's ticket holder), Mikayla clearly is talented. But there were comments about her chemistry with Randolf - UVAs past leading scorer.

Reaction Score
Boyle, as written in her contract, got automatic one-year extensions on April 11, 2012, and April 11, 2013. That puts her under contract with UVa through the 2017-18 season.

She could get fired after next season which is probable since the AD only committed to her returning for next season in the article, but UVA will still have to pay her for the last year.

Reaction Score
T
Boyle, as written in her contract, got automatic one-year extensions on April 11, 2012, and April 11, 2013. That puts her under contract with UVa through the 2017-18 season.

She could get fired after next season which is probable since the AD only committed to her returning for next season in the article, but UVA will still have to pay her for the last year.
Thanks for the correction. BTW, she drives me crazy with her lack of emotion in coaching games. A Geno she's not, in so many ways.

Reaction Score
Not a shocker, but disappointing in the sense that what we see on the men's side with transfers is coming into play on the women's side.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
The contract is up next year. As I look back at the past two years (I'm a season UVA women's ticket holder), Mikayla clearly is talented. But there were comments about her chemistry with Randolf - UVAs past leading scorer.

Thanks. Interesting....but with Randolf graduating, wouldn't that particular chemistry issue be resolved? The addition by subtraction clause? Hmmm. I've seen Willoughby play a number of times and she's a good athlete who will play hard on both ends of the court.

Reaction Score
Coach Boyle has received a 2 year contract extension

Imovioh my have left because of Venson

Grad transfers are a bit different. Since they can immediately play at the new schools, I can see a a player doing so in order to play for a final 4-level team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom