Mikayla Coombs updates | The Boneyard

Mikayla Coombs updates

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Two articles out on MC today.

Although the numbers didn’t show it, Coombs, a McDonald’s All-American coming out of Georgia, felt right before the diagnosis as if everything — from her on-the-court performance to her grasp of the mental side of the sport — had started to click...

“I finally felt like things were starting to come together, just adjusting,” she said. “There were still some struggle points, but, just adjusting as a freshman … and being around the coaches all the time and hearing what I needed to adjust, I think it helped me grow as a basketball player.”

Coombs still has not been cleared for contact, with a murky timetable as to when that might change. Nevertheless, she remains optimistic about her growth on the court. She’s used her downtime to get stronger in the weight room and refine her shooting stroke — a part of her game she admits needs improvement.

When asked to clarify her timetable, Coombs said this: “Definitely before the season, but I don’t know. It’s just one of those things where we have to watch for precautionary measures. It’s just waiting, being very patient. If anything, I’ve learned patience from this injury.”

Coombs on the mend and eager to get back to basketball

Coombs is hopeful she'll have no restrictions soon, though she said that depends on her progress and the medication that she's taking.

"To be honest, Coach is working hard and been laying it out there for the team," Coombs said. "I've been focusing on the little things that I can do and fine tuning those things. I could have done a lot more defensively last year but I didn't mentally put myself up to that challenge. I'll be focusing on that. I'm working on getting to the basket more, not necessarily to score but just draw the defense and dish off.

UConn sophomore Coombs making progress, staying patient

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Last week, CD said that Mikayla was doing all the running and working on her shot. Now we learn that she is working on her shooting form and lifting weights. All of those are good things.

Though Mikayla struggled with the basketball side of things last year, her conditioning wasn’t much of an issue, unlike the other frosh.

Her stats show one positive measure: 17 steals in 168 minutes. Not even Gabby—who led the team last year and now leads the WNBA in steals—had steals at that rate. Mikayla had quick hands and quick feet, she needs to get healthy, put things together, and use her assets.

Brianna Banks said her idea of hard wasn’t UConn’s idea of hard. Mikayla said the UConn way was unlike anything she had ever seen. It’s an adjustment. As Crystal said, freshman year is just something you have to get through.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Working on her shooting stroke is a good thing, as her form looked unorthodox and difficult to repeat. Very low release point, hard to shoot it like that against tight defense. Query whether the refinement she is working on is more or less tweaking, or more of an overhaul. Probably the former, as a successful overhaul is very difficult.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog
Top Bottom