Mikayla Coombs update | The Boneyard

Mikayla Coombs update

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The threads on AEH got me thinking - it seems like forever ago since Mikayla transferred from UCONN, but she plays for Georgia now. 7 games in, she's not a starter, but 3rd on the team in minutes averaging 7 PPG, 3 RPG, is 2nd on the team in assists and 1st in steals. Glad to see she's carved out a nice niche for herself.

She is only shooting 61% from the FT line and has only attempted (and missed) 1 3-pointer, so it doesn't appear that her shooting improved dramatically over the past few years, but I hope she's happy and am glad she's being productive.

Georgia is 7-0, soon to be 8-0 as they are pounding Appalachian State. They haven't played much in the way of competition, but did beat Ga Tech and also ECU out of the AAC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I fully understand that the BY is a forum with broad interests but with the new season started and the excitement surrounding the team and current players, I don't understand the interest regarding transfers and in the case of AEH, the preoccupation with their status.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I fully understand that the BY is a forum with broad interests but with the new season started and the excitement surrounding the team and current players, I don't understand the interest regarding transfers and in the case of AEH, the preoccupation with their status.
Here's a shocker - if you see a thread title you aren't interested in, simply ignore it! What a novel idea, eh??!! :rolleyes:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
You don't have to understand it. Just accept that some fans like to follow other players after they leave UConn. Some fans don't. If you are in the 2nd category - the thread content was in the title so you could just choose to ignore it.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Here's a shocker - if you see a thread title you aren't interested in, simply ignore it! What a novel idea, eh??!! :rolleyes:
So true, something I do almost daily.

BTW Why is the thread title about Mikala and the first post about AEH? Or did you mention AEH but then started posting about Mikala? (These are rhetorical questions cause I am taking your advice.)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Now back to the initial thread subject-Mikayla:
She's 3rd on the team in minutes per game at 25.1 despite not starting any of the 7 games. She's 5th in scoring at 7.0 pts per game, she has 24 assists vs. only 10 turnovers, great 2.4 ratio! She 2nd in overall assists. She leads the team in Steals at 16, she's only taken 1 3 pt shot (missed) and is only 11-18 at FTs and is 19-36 overall on the floor.
I have seen parts of 2 games and she clearly looked good as a ball handler. I am shocked she's not starting yet but that may have more to do with her shooting, (still a funky shot) but all the other skills we knew she had are apparent.
I am very happy for her. I wish her well though to be honest, I think Joni Taylor is not a good coach. She was handed a job she has not shown any skills in doing well.

Reaction Score
As a BY'e,r, I am interested in almost everything regarding WBB and of course UConn. I vividly recall discussing Mikayla's situation. I certainly was rooting for her, but eventually realized that the kid wasn't a star. Coach Auriemma has to make the important decisions about HIS team, so I assume that sitting on the bench didn't suit her and it affected her body language. This team is family and non-selfish...ie: Paige, Anna, CW, and all the others. She always appeared to be a nice young lady. Unfortunately she probably fell out of favor with the coaching staff. Her stats seem to indicate that she is a decent D1 player for a good team, not a great team.
I wish her all the luck in the world going forward...but that's team sports Why shouldn't we be interested in former team member?. Go Huskies!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom