Mikayla Coombs On The Journey | The Boneyard

Mikayla Coombs On The Journey

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"When I first got here, and Lou will tell you this, I'd have it in my mind, 'Pass to Lou, pass to Lou, pass to Kia, pass to Gabby,' " Coombs said. "I'm not going to say that I was intimidated. But once you start playing with them you realize they want you to do well, they want you to score, and they want you to do good things. It's a team sport and they want to win, just like I do."
"I'm trying to make the adjustment (from high school) and every day go harder and harder," Coombs said. "At first you feel like you don't know things but Coach always says as long as you go hard the other things we'll be OK. You need to have a different intensity level."

"I was just talking to my parents the other night. It is just totally different than anything I've been part of. In high school, you can glide through things and your talent will carry you. Here you have to be talented plus match it with a high intensity level. And I think there's a higher intesnity level here than at other schools. There's always a higher goal that they are asking you to achieve so you need to get close to it."

Freshman Mikayla Coombs finding her way

There's more there.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Just a sensational article, and kudos to Adamec for writing it up for SNY. Not only is he a terrific writer, but he finds great quotes from players that aren't just a rehashing of everything else we've heard about/from them.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED this particular quote from her:

"He asked me how I would guard my man and I completely did the wrong thing," Coombs said. "He went, 'Really? That's what you're going to do?' It's been like that. He hasn't gotten in my face about anything. That will probably come."

"But I love it. When he's not talking to you, that is the time that you need to be worried. He gets on you because he cares and he wants you to be a better player. It's not negative. If he just lets you go, that's a sign that he thinks your effort is not there and that's unacceptable
."

This is a kid who just GETS it. And more than that, in addition to @RockyMTblue2 's quotes, this should also be copied and pasted for every potential recruit. Geno does not scream and yell at players. He COACHES them. He knows his players, which ones he can push certain ways with sarcasm, jabs, etc, but he also knows how to teach them and motivate them.

Sometimes it seems like people focus on some of the "negative" ways that Geno coaches. Sure there is some of that when deserved, but IMHO a much larger % is the positive way he pushes players to be the very best they can be. He wants them to think out there, as exhibited by him asking her "is that what you're going to do?"... He wanted her to understand WHY it was not the right way to do it. Brilliant!!!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Just a sensational article, and kudos to Adamec for writing it up for SNY. Not only is he a terrific writer, but he finds great quotes from players that aren't just a rehashing of everything else we've heard about/from them.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED this particular quote from her:

"He asked me how I would guard my man and I completely did the wrong thing," Coombs said. "He went, 'Really? That's what you're going to do?' It's been like that. He hasn't gotten in my face about anything. That will probably come."

"But I love it. When he's not talking to you, that is the time that you need to be worried. He gets on you because he cares and he wants you to be a better player. It's not negative. If he just lets you go, that's a sign that he thinks your effort is not there and that's unacceptable
."

This is a kid who just GETS it. And more than that, in addition to @RockyMTblue2 's quotes, this should also be copied and pasted for every potential recruit. Geno does not scream and yell at players. He COACHES them. He knows his players, which ones he can push certain ways with sarcasm, jabs, etc, but he also knows how to teach them and motivate them.

Sometimes it seems like people focus on some of the "negative" ways that Geno coaches. Sure there is some of that when deserved, but IMHO a much larger % is the positive way he pushes players to be the very best they can be. He wants them to think out there, as exhibited by him asking her "is that what you're going to do?"... He wanted her to understand WHY it was not the right way to do it. Brilliant!!!

Ah heck. That's the post I should have written. ;)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think the quote below is pretty heartening. :)

"Mikayla doesn't have any problems with the pace of things," Auriemma said. "She has her quickness and her ability to get to the basket. She reminds me of the way that Crystal Dangerfield was last year in practice the first month or so. She's too worried and unsure to take advantage of all of her talents. When that goes away then we'll start to see more of what she can do."

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I needed to see this. Now we need the article on Hunter's progress.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
And I think there's a higher intensity level here than at other schools."

Just occurred to me, slow that I am, that this could be based on her keeping in touch with other recruits at different schools. On the other hand it just might be: "No one else can be this tough."

Reaction Score
Great article...............I wonder what percentage of truly elite players would embrace the commitment cited there and what percentage would say "Holy........ and just run the other way.............

Reaction Score
"When I first got here, and Lou will tell you this, I'd have it in my mind, 'Pass to Lou, pass to Lou, pass to Kia, pass to Gabby,' " Coombs said. "I'm not going to say that I was intimidated. But once you start playing with them you realize they want you to do well, they want you to score, and they want you to do good things. It's a team sport and they want to win, just like I do."
"I'm trying to make the adjustment (from high school) and every day go harder and harder," Coombs said. "At first you feel like you don't know things but Coach always says as long as you go hard the other things we'll be OK. You need to have a different intensity level."

"I was just talking to my parents the other night. It is just totally different than anything I've been part of. In high school, you can glide through things and your talent will carry you. Here you have to be talented plus match it with a high intensity level. And I think there's a higher intesnity level here than at other schools. There's always a higher goal that they are asking you to achieve so you need to get close to it."

Freshman Mikayla Coombs finding her way

There's more there.
The myth that it is hard work to play at Uconn has been revealed (again and again). The first two paragraphs above sound like Molly Bent as a Frosh. Pas pass pass pass. Irwin was a bit pass but shot. The highly exposed Uconn Talented Players are intimidating, by reputation, for anyone newly introduced to them. The game for Geno and Christine is to be a teammate, play every second with intensity, and look over the court and take that which the opponents don't see (or will allow). Terrific kid, obviously Uconn type, she belongs here. I wish her to get all she ever wanted out of being a UConn WBB player and personal professional (other than BB) success. \
Thanks Rocky.

Reaction Score
Great article.....I wonder what percentage of truly elite players would embrace the commitment cited there and what percentage would say "Holy... and just run the other way...
Well we know roughly 10% of UConn players say holy and run the other way by transferring.

Reaction Score
Just occurred to me, slow that I am, that this could be based on her keeping in touch with other recruits at different schools. On the other hand it just might be: "No one else can be this tough."
11 National Championships don't come to those that live on talent alone. As RSHERM said Muffet has had a lot of top talent over the years and only won ONE NC Why????

HGN

Reaction Score
11 National Championships don't come to those that live on talent alone. As RSHERM said Muffet has had a lot of top talent over the years and only won ONE NC Why????
WHY , you ask..............I will answer that one with 2 words. Geno Auriemma... That's why. If MM hadn't been coaching in the same era as Geno Auriemma she would have multiple NC's.
Unfortunately , she was coaching during the same era as Geno and she has ended up with just one(1). How many times have they met in the FF semi's and Final? Heck , Geno even ruined her
Perfect Season a couple of years ago in the NCAA Championship Game. The ONLY time 2 teams with Undefeated seasons on the line have met in the NC Game.

So when you ask WHY........No it wasn't talent alone...........It was Geno Auriemma.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom