Midsummer look at Big East: Top teams, players, where does UConn fit? | The Boneyard

Midsummer look at Big East: Top teams, players, where does UConn fit?

Reaction Score
Dave Borges giving us some material to read during these dog days of summer.

3. UCONN: Plenty of questions here. Can Jordan Hawkins and Andre Jackson step up as double-figures scorers? Can Tristen Newton make the transition from AAC to Big East? How big an impact can freshmen Donovan Clingan and Alex Karaban have? Will the Huskies have enough perimeter shooting to open things up for Adama Sanogo, the likely preseason Big East Player of the Year who is one of the best certainties the Huskies have.

A lot to lose: Yes, the Huskies replaced their four transfers with arguably much better talent. But let’s not forget they lost All-Big East point guard R.J. Cole, NBA draft pick (and All-Big East snub!) Tyrese Martin, Isaiah Whaley and Tyler Polley to graduation. That’s a lot of production.

Key: Hawkins has been compared to Ray Allen and James Bouknight. He doesn’t have to be either, but it’s clear the staff is counting on him to emerge as a go-to scorer. Said Greg McDermott: “Jordan Hawkins was one of my favorite young players last year. Sanogo inside, I think, is a difference-maker on both ends of the floor. Danny does a great job. They’re going to play physical, tough, hard-nosed defense."

Alternate free link:

Midsummer look at Big East: Top teams, players, where does UConn men’s basketball fit?

Reaction Score
That’s a fair assessment, I would add we have no idea how long it’s going to take to get a cohesive team chemistry with so many new players both transfers and freshman. This reminds me a bit of 2015-16 .
On paper it could be a very talented team but you don’t play games on paper.
The good news is with so many postgrads gone everywhere plus the crazy transfer rules almost everyone is faced with the same problem.

Reaction Score
Borges was clearly bored with the Butler write up. Not much meat. With coach Matta and a solid transfer haul, I wouldn't be surprised to see them outperform.

Reaction Score
McDermott thinks Danny does a great job. Lol.

giphy.gif

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think Georgetown will be better than Butler and DePaul, but otherwise I agree with Borges.

Reaction Score
McDermott thinks Danny does a great job. Lol.
He loves playing UConn. He’d be undefeated if he played every games against Hurley! Of course it’s an unwritten rule thou shalt not speak I’ll of another coach. LOL

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I honestly feel that UConn will be the best in the NBE if:
1. All the newbies fit in as seamlessly as possible and play team ball
2. Hawkins becomes the player that I know he can be
3. Sanogo effectively and consistently passes out from under the basket when he feels the pressure of a double team. He also needs to develop that midrange game (not as vital to the team but rather for him to have a chance at the next level).

Nova is going to miss Coach Jay which will cost them at least a half dozen games.
Creighton had young players hungry to play as a unit and lived off the buzz that created at the tail end of last season. These kids are now a year older and more likely to play more hero ball.

This is going to be a wild season. Can’t wait

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom