Midseason watch list for Naismith DPOY | The Boneyard

Midseason watch list for Naismith DPOY

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Midseason watch list for the Naismith Women’s Defensive Player of the Year Award released

Kristine Anigwe Sr. C/F California
Shakira Austin Fr. F Maryland
Chastadie Barrs Sr. G Lamar
Kenisha Bell Sr. G Minnesota
Kalani Brown Sr. C Baylor
Lauren Cox Jr. F Baylor
Channon Fluker Sr. C CSUN
Megan Gustafson Sr. F Iowa
Ae’Rianna Harris Jr. F Purdue
Anriel Howard Sr. F Mississippi State
Regan Magarity Sr. F Virginia Tech
Teaira McCowan Sr. C Mississippi State
Taylor Murray Sr. G Kentucky
Caliya Robinson Sr. F Georgia
Brianna Turner Sr. F Notre Dame

When was the last time UConn had nobody on this list?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Midseason watch list for the Naismith Women’s Defensive Player of the Year Award released

Lauren Cox Jr. F Baylor

I'd love for it to go to Chastadie Barrs if she breaks the all time steals record. She's at 555 with likely 15-18 games left (depending how far the team advances in the NCAA/WNIT) and is 69 steals away. Right now she's averaging 5.8/game including 6.7 in conference play, so she's on pace to break the all time record that was set 24 years ago.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score

Lauren Cox Jr. F Baylor
I think it's sad that there are so few guards recognized. I guess voters are counting rebounds and blocks more than really shutting down opponent's guards. I am confused by Gustafson's inclusion. (There are probably others, but her name jumped out at me.) Megan is amazing offensively, with her quick post moves and amazing accuracy, but I don't really think of defense when I think of her. She is not a liability defensively at the college level, but top 15 for defensive POY? I don't see it.

I thought Jackie Young would get a nomination.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good for Howard in making an impact in her 1st season at her new school, and congrats to Regan Magarity. There was a time back when when she was being recruited that we thought UCONN had some interest in her and we were hopeful, but it didn't work out. Always rooted for her - great kid who came from a great family. @blakeon18 and @MilfordHusky should be pleased to see her being recognized...

Reaction Score

Why is Shakira such a good defender?

Because she knows to watch her man's hips.
As she likes to say, hips don't lie.

THANK YOU. I have another show at 11.

Reaction Score

Lauren Cox Jr. F Baylor

that's just another clear indicator of where this year's team is lacking..................team defense is far more important, hopefully they can still improve in that department........

Reaction Score
I think it's sad that there are so few guards recognized. I guess voters are counting rebounds and blocks more than really shutting down opponent's guards. I am confused by Gustafson's inclusion. (There are probably others, but her name jumped out at me.) Megan is amazing offensively, with her quick post moves and amazing accuracy, but I don't really think of defense when I think of her. She is not a liability defensively at the college level, but top 15 for defensive POY? I don't see it.

I agree. This has become more about stats than about the eye test.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Iowa ranks 274 of 351 in opponent points per 100 possessions and 221/351 in opponent FG% The idea of anyone on that team being a DPOY candidate is laughable. She does lead the country in defensive rebounds, which isn't nothing, but I don't see her as a plus defensive player at all.

I was confused by Magarity, too. Shepard had no trouble with her at all.

I'm going to agree with Ben Dull here that Collier was snubbed. She's miles ahead of those two defensively.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Collier should definitely be on the list. Good fuel for her (and Geno)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I agree. This has become more about stats than about the eye test.

I do agree that Gustafson does not belong on this list, but if it was based off stats, Kia nor Gabby would not have won the last 2 years.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
I'd love for it to go to Chastadie Barrs if she breaks the all time steals record. She's at 555 with likely 15-18 games left (depending how far the team advances in the NCAA/WNIT) and is 69 steals away. Right now she's averaging 5.8/game including 6.7 in conference play, so she's on pace to break the all time record that was set 24 years ago.

I'm with you on this. She will be her conference's DPOY 4 years in a row. She gave Mississippi State's quick guards fits with 4 steals, even in a blowout loss. Teaira won it last year, so if not Barrs, then maybe one of the MSU girls.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom