Middlesex Chamber of Commerce Virtual Luncheon featuring Dan Hurley, UConn Men's Head Basketball Coach (10/14/20 @ Noon) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Middlesex Chamber of Commerce Virtual Luncheon featuring Dan Hurley, UConn Men's Head Basketball Coach (10/14/20 @ Noon)

C

Chief00

This gets me giddy. He’s a mold of a player we haven’t had in sometime. Feels like a kid whose going to have an immediate impact, excited to see what he’ll bring this season.

Sonago and Brown give us the potential, in a year or two, to have the best combination of true Bigs since 2004. Again, this is Chief’s eye test, so don’t ask statistics to back it up.

Last edited by a moderator:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
[Andrew Hurley] was forced into playing live with our guys as a walk-on freshman and a shout-out to Drew because he held his own. He has also not told my wife on me when I have chewed his butt out.:D

Reaction Score
Sonago and Brown give us potential in a year or two, the best combination of true Bigs since 2004. Again, this is Chief’s eye test, so don’t ask statistics to back in up.
Certainly the most front court depth they’ve had in awhile. From what I’ve seen, just feels like Sanogos style of play will allow him to have an immediate impact.

Also Chief, I think you’ll like this. We discussed this the other day. Guys will play well with RJ because he doesn’t over dribble and gets the ball to guys on time. See this tweet.

Reaction Score
Yeah I guess Hurley's not logical either since he said the exact thing I've been saying.
Well if Hurley doesn't say that he alienates half the players on the team by saying they're worse

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sounds like Hurley is sleeping in Springs....

He sure is and it's a pretty sad indictment of Hurley and his staff to not see every day in practice what us fans can see from pregame warmups and sources within the program.

C

Chief00

He sure is and it's a pretty sad indictment of Hurley and his staff to not see every day in practice what us fans can see from pregame warmups and sources within the program.
Brown is the 7-1 center of the future and Sonago defines power forward.

C

Chief00

Damn Isaiah Whaley is just a hell of a story. If you said you saw this coming you are lying.
Even Chief can’t process that and is still skeptical. Could Hurley go from admittedly undervaluing Whaley to overvaluing him now?
As Chief said about Polley, you can’t overestimate the value Hurley puts on multi positional switching on defense. Chief knows it’s not even on the radar screen of most casual fans, but it opens up a whole World of defensive possibilities for the head coach.

Reaction Score
Sounds like Hurley is sleeping in Springs....
He's not sleeping on him he just has to contend with Whaley, Polley, Sanogo, Martin, Carlton, and Brown for 4/5 minutes. Those minutes will be tough to come by.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Brown is the 7-1 center of the future and Sonago defines power forward.
C'mon. Hurley is already giving this Brown the same treatment JC gave Justin Brown. The ole "His best days are ahead of him" routine.

C

Chief00

Certainly the most front court depth they’ve had in awhile. From what I’ve seen, just feels like Sanogos style of play will allow him to have an immediate impact.

Also Chief, I think you’ll like this. We discussed this the other day. Guys will play well with RJ because he doesn’t over dribble and gets the ball to guys on time. See this tweet.

It’s so important to get a shooter the ball in the right spot and in rhythm.

Reaction Score
Damn Isaiah Whaley is just a hell of a story. If you said you saw this coming you are lying.
I think the majority of us thought he would be a starter this year, he was the best player on the court in a couple of those games near the end of last season. I don't think anyone saw him making the jump he made in the final 1/3 of the season last year, I don't remember any UConn player ever making that kind of jump before. I thought Hurley was making a mistake not finding him another school where he would play more, never happier to have been so wrong. Kid is a stud now.

Reaction Score
Even Chief can’t process that and is still skeptical. Could Hurley go from admittedly undervaluing Whaley to overvaluing him now?
As Chief said about Polley, you can’t overestimate the value Hurley puts on multi positional switching on defense. Chief knows it’s not even on the radar screen of most casual fans, but it opens up a whole World of defensive possibilities for the head coach.

Perfect.

Reaction Score
Haha, that is so unlike you, which, of course made it all the funnier.
Yeah, usually HooperScooper has facts to back up his arguments, but he‘s got nothing this time, so he’s had to resort to gifs. As someone who has read his posts for probably 20-25 years on the many iterations of this board, it’s a little sad, but it is what it is.

Reaction Score
Well if Hurley doesn't say that he alienates half the players on the team by saying they're worse
Yes I’m sure the AAC recruited players would have been devastated if Hurley told a virtual luncheon the Big East was a big boost to recruiting.

I guess we’re screwed anyway, because he only said Akok, Bouknight, Gaffney, and Cole were pretty good. Now Polley, Whaley, Carlton, Adams, etc have all been alienated. There goes our depth :rolleyes:.

Reaction Score
It’s so important to get a shooter the ball in the right spot and in rhythm.
Agreed. We see the elite shooters in the NBA (Steph, Clay, Korver, Reddick etc) not need great passes or spacing to get their shots. But guys at the college level definitely do.

We didn’t add much shooters this season outside of Cole, but better spacing, timing, and rhythm can help make decent shooters into better shooters. That difference can turn a team that shot 32% from 3 last year into a team that shoots 35% from 3 this year. That should be the goal.

Reaction Score
I'd love for you to show me 1 post in our discussion where I said this year's recruits didn't say the Big East was a factor. I agreed with you over and over on that. The only thing I said close was talking about the article Jordan Hawkins wrote himself, and how when he was presenting his own thoughts on his reasons for committing he didn't bring up conference at all.

I'm amazed you think canned answers 17 year olds give to reporters are super meaningful. I remember when Ben Gordon committed there were articles where he was talking about how the Dairy Bar was one of the big reasons. So I guess people here actually think a top 50 recruit committed to us because of ice cream.
I thought everyone knew Gordon came to UConn because Duke didn't offer him.

Reaction Score
I thought everyone knew Gordon came to UConn because Duke didn't offer him.
Nope. Now I understand why you would think that, because it’s both logical and factually accurate, but he didn’t give a quote to a reporter saying that was a reason, so it can’t be a reason. Everyone knows that only things 17 year olds say in response to questions asked by reporters count as real reasons, come on superjohn.

Reaction Score
Yeah, usually HooperScooper has facts to back up his arguments, but he‘s got nothing this time, so he’s had to resort to gifs. As someone who has read his posts for probably 20-25 years on the many iterations of this board, it’s a little sad, but it is what it is.
Are you this stubborn with everything in your life? I hate when people are stubborn about facts. You were wrong about a fact but you wouldn't admit it even though I showed you the facts. That's what I was arguing about.

While I do believe the Big East has helped recruiting, what I was arguing with you about was that Jordan Hawkins said in at least 2 different articles by 2 different reporters (they were not the same interview) that the Big East was a big factor in him committing to UConn. I showed you where he said that but you referenced his blog "This is Why I Committed to Connecticut" where he didn't say anything in the article about the Big East. So you kept arguing that the Big East couldn't have been a big factor because he didn't say it in his blog. I said he did say it in 2 other articles and that proved it was a factor. But you said that doesn't count because we don't know how the reporter asked him the question, and some other reasons that I don't remember, where the blog was his own words written by him.

The argument whether the Big East has and will help UConn in recruiting is an opinion and each person can have their own. We can argue but at the end of the day it's an opinion that has no right or wrong answer.

Please answer this simple question. Did Hawkins say or did he not say the Big East was a factor in his decision to pick UConn? Yes or no? If you can't say yes then I give up.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom