Middlesex Chamber of Commerce Virtual Luncheon featuring Dan Hurley, UConn Men's Head Basketball Coach (10/14/20 @ Noon) | The Boneyard

Middlesex Chamber of Commerce Virtual Luncheon featuring Dan Hurley, UConn Men's Head Basketball Coach (10/14/20 @ Noon)

Reaction Score
David Borges@DaveBorges 18m
Jumping on this Dan Hurley virtual luncheon with the Middlesex Chamber of Commerce to see what he has to stay about the upcoming season. Stay tuned for updates.

David Borges@DaveBorges7m
Hurley: Gaffney is a "critical player. I don't think people understand how talented he is, athletically. How much upside he has." Up from 170 to 185 pounds.

David Borges@DaveBorges 6m
R.J. Cole: "He's a beautiful offensive point guard ... a guy that's really easy to play with if you're one of the four other guys on the court with him, because he doesn't overdribble and gets the ball to people on time."

Hurley says it's a "heck of a point guard competition" between Gaffney and Cole for starting PG. The two will play together a lot, as well.

Bouknight: "He has a chance to be as good as any guard in the country this year. He's got so much game, skill and competitiveness and passion. He sees where this could go for him right now."

David Borges @DaveBorges 5m
Tyrese Martin: "Big-time finisher, big-time on the backboards, got a little bit of 'dog' in him, which I put a lot of value in."

David Borges@DaveBorges 5m
Hurley: Strength of team is depth from 3-11.

Gavin Keefe@GavinKeefe 4m
Hurley projects Bouknight and Whaley as starters. Rest of lineup is up in the air.

David Borges@DaveBorges 1m
Akok is up to about an hour, 15 minutes a day of workouts with coaches, simulating offense, defense. Looks great, moving well, sprinting, running. Tried a 360 dunk yesterday, much to Hurley's dismay.

David Borges@DaveBorges 18s
Richie Springs: "Very crowded, competitive frontcourt. For him to carve out a role and get minutes this year is gonna be a challenge. But he's talented enough to do it." Only 19, needs to come out of shell, get intensity up.

David Borges@DaveBorges 3m
Adama Sanogo: "He's just a special guy, a rare individual in terms of his work ethic, character and daily approach."

Hurley on Josh Carlton: "I did a bad job of preparing him for that next step to take as a junior Josh looks primed to try to rectify that."

David Borges @DaveBorges 3m
Javonte Brown: "He's a 7-foot-1, 265-pound puppy ... Just trying to sort things out physically and figure out the intensity level of practice. Big-time potential, very high ceiling ... He plays basketball because he loves to play, not just because he's tall."

David Borges @DaveBorges 4m
Andre Jackson: "Physically, a little underdeveloped when he came in. Up to about 210 now, and looks like a junior in terms of physical stature ... Has a chance to be one of the more impactful frosh guards in country."

Hurley says Jalen Gaffney could be the biggest surprise this season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jumping on this Dan Hurley virtual luncheon with the Middlesex Chamber of Commerce to see what he has to stay about the upcoming season. Stay tuned for updates.

Hurley: Gaffney is a "critical player. I don't think people understand how talented he is, athletically. How much upside he has." Up from 170 to 185 pounds.

R.J. Cole: "He's a beautiful offensive point guard ... a guy that's really easy to play with if you're one of the four other guys on the court with him, because he doesn't overdribble and gets the ball to people on time."

Hurley says it's a "heck of a point guard competition" between Gaffney and Cole for starting PG. The two will play together a lot, as well.

Bouknight: "He has a chance to be as good as any guard in the country this year. He's got so much game, skill and competitiveness and passion. He sees where this could go for him right now."

Tyrese Martin: "Big-time finisher, big-time on the backboards, got a little bit of 'dog' in him, which I put a lot of value in."

Hurley projects Bouknight and Whaley as starters. Rest of lineup is up in the air.

Akok is up to about an hour, 15 minutes a day of workouts with coaches, simulating offense, defense. Looks great, moving well, sprinting, running. Tried a 360 dunk yesterday, much to Hurley's dismay.

Richie Springs: "Very crowded, competitive frontcourt. For him to carve out a role and get minutes this year is gonna be a challenge. But he's talented enough to do it." Only 19, needs to come out of shell, get intensity up.

Akok is much farther along than I imagined if he's even trying dunking. Great to hear

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is great to hear. Martin at the 4?
Congrats to those who had Whaley as a starter. I thought it would be Josh. Glad to hear it for Isaiah, kind of bummed for Josh.
:)
Hurley on Josh Carlton: "I did a bad job of preparing him for that next step to take as a junior Josh looks primed to try to rectify that."
#thinjosh

Reaction Score
My Notes:
Basically Hurley engaged all the points the Boneyard has debated. Polley is the ideal stretch 4 but will play some 3 in a big lineup. Martin will play the 2-3-or 4 in small ball. Whaley looks like a starter but he said at the 4 or 5 so that issue is not settled. Acknowledged he was most productive as the 5 in small ball at the end of last year. Saw us as playing 10-11 guys regularly with pressure, not migrating to 7-8 guys. Picked Gaffney as an upside surprise. Said Adams would play starters minutes if he could hit 40% from 3 in game conditions and seemed to allude that he hits that in practice but that it hasn't translated. Played down Big East as a recruiting factor in terms of getting quality players and pointed to Akok, Bouknight, Gaffney, and Cole which he thinks are ok. Akok is sprinting, backpedaling, shuttling, but got hell for his 360 dunk to put on video. Expects full clearance end of Nov early Dec. Moderator happened to use my question about the foul line extended and who was best suited to facilitate from there with a shot, an entry pass to a big, pass to a cutter, or driving to the rim. He alluded to the fact that nobody is complete at that location "the Nail". Said the 4 man is who they look to, Whaley, that Springs in the future, but that Bouknight and Jackson could operate from there. I forget if he said Martin as well. If 10-11 play significantly when healthy, it seems that Springs and Brown are the 2 that really need to fight to have any minutes despite Hurley's other comments about Springs' rebounding. Also praised Whaley's defensive pressure extending and recovering. Also that Sanogo could play some 4.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My Notes:
Basically Hurley engaged all the points the Boneyard has debated. Polley is the ideal stretch 4 but will play some 3 in a big lineup. Martin will play the 2-3-or 4 in small ball. Whaley looks like a starter but he said at the 4 or 5 so that issue is not settled. Acknowledged he was most productive as the 5 in small ball at the end of last year. Saw us as playing 10-11 guys regularly with pressure, not migrating to 7-8 guys. Picked Gaffney as an upside surprise. Said Adams would play starters minutes if he could hit 40% from 3 in game conditions and seemed to allude that he hits that in practice but that it hasn't translated. Played down Big East as a recruiting factor in terms of getting quality players and pointed to Akok, Bouknight, Gaffney, and Cole which he thinks are ok. Akok is sprinting, backpedaling, shuttling, but got hell for his 360 dunk to put on video. Expects full clearance end of Nov early Dec. Moderator happened to use my question about the foul line extended and who was best suited to facilitate from there with a shot, an entry pass to a big, pass to a cutter, or driving to the rim. He alluded to the fact that nobody is complete at that location "the Nail". Said the 4 man is who they look to, Whaley, that Springs in the future, but that Bouknight and Jackson could operate from there. I forget if he said Martin as well. If 10-11 play significantly when healthy, it seems that Springs and Brown are the 2 that really need to fight to have any minutes despite Hurley's other comments about Springs' rebounding. Also praised Whaley's defensive pressure extending and recovering. Also that Sanogo could play some 4.
Hey, now that Hurley has said this maybe people like @HooperScooper and @XLCenterFan will be able to grasp it.

Probably not though.

Reaction Score
Hey, now that Hurley has said this maybe people like @HooperScooper and @XLCenterFan will be able to grasp it.

Probably not though.
Chalk one up for you. I will give you this one.

But still doesn't pardon the fact you refused to admit that all the recruits said the Big East was a big influence in their decision to come to UConn. They said it, and I gave you some of the quotes, but you kept saying they didn't. It was like a little kid covering their ears and saying, "Nah, nah, I can't hear you."

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score

Probably not though.
I don't think it's a coincidence that we've been an embarrassment for the past 5ish years and now have a Top 10 recruiting class coming in next year. I think he was just being nice...

The Big East definitely gave them that jump and that boost over everybody else,” Jackson said.

Hurley, who played in the Big East at Seton Hall, said it was now easier to chase players from New England and the Mid-Atlantic states.

Javonte Brown-Ferguson, a 7-footer from Toronto, verbally committed to UConn last month, saying the Big East tournament at the Garden was a decisive factor.

Kevin Willard, the Seton Hall men’s basketball coach, said before the season that the Big East would be tougher with Hurley coaching in it and that he could no longer recruit against UConn citing its affiliation with the American.

“I can’t tell recruits now, ‘You know what it’s like to play at Tulane, East Carolina, Tulsa and those places?’ That doesn’t work anymore,” he said. “They always have had a great history in this area. It adds a different layer to recruiting, but they were always going to be tough here.”

Reaction Score
Javonte Brown-Ferguson, a 7-footer from Toronto, verbally committed to UConn last month, saying the Big East tournament at the Garden was a decisive factor.
UConn’s moving to the Big East played a big role in Brown’s decision to commit to the Huskies last November.

“With the Big East being close to Canada, my family would be able to come out and see games. Now, with COVID restrictions and border laws, that possiblity won’t be there (this season). But it’s close to home, and it’s a really good lead, so that helped me make my decision.”

Would they have gotten a better center in this class if they were still in the AAC? (I'm asking 7774). We'll never know.

Reaction Score
Chalk one up for you. I will give you this one.

But still doesn't pardon the fact you refused to admit that all the recruits said the Big East was a big influence in their decision to come to UConn. They said it, and I gave you some of the quotes, but you kept saying they didn't. It was like a little kid covering their ears and saying, "Nah, nah, I can't hear you."
I'd love for you to show me 1 post in our discussion where I said this year's recruits didn't say the Big East was a factor. I agreed with you over and over on that. The only thing I said close was talking about the article Jordan Hawkins wrote himself, and how when he was presenting his own thoughts on his reasons for committing he didn't bring up conference at all.

I'm amazed you think canned answers 17 year olds give to reporters are super meaningful. I remember when Ben Gordon committed there were articles where he was talking about how the Dairy Bar was one of the big reasons. So I guess people here actually think a top 50 recruit committed to us because of ice cream.

Reaction Score

Adama Sanogo: "He's just a special guy, a rare individual in terms of his work ethic, character and daily approach."

David Borges @DaveBorges 3m
Javonte Brown: "He's a 7-foot-1, 265-pound puppy ... Just trying to sort things out physically and figure out the intensity level of practice. Big-time potential, very high ceiling ... He plays basketball because he loves to play, not just because he's tall."

David Borges @DaveBorges 4m
Andre Jackson: "Physically, a little underdeveloped when he came in. Up to about 210 now, and looks like a junior in terms of physical stature ... Has a chance to be one of the more impactful frosh guards in country."

Hurley says Jalen Gaffney could be the biggest surprise this season.

You need to check your pulse if all these tweets don't have you even more pumped for the season than you already were.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
UConn’s moving to the Big East played a big role in Brown’s decision to commit to the Huskies last November.

“With the Big East being close to Canada, my family would be able to come out and see games. Now, with COVID restrictions and border laws, that possiblity won’t be there (this season). But it’s close to home, and it’s a really good lead, so that helped me make my decision.”

Would they have gotten a better center in this class if they were still in the AAC? (I'm asking 7774). We'll never know.
I guess it's all water under the bridge at this point. Man, I can't wait for the season to start, with or without fans.

Reaction Score

The answer is unequivocally NO.

Reaction Score
Awesome how confident Danny is in Bouknight and the improvements he’s made in the offseason .

Reaction Score
I'd love for you to show me 1 post in our discussion where I said this year's recruits didn't say the Big East was a factor. I agreed with you over and over on that. The only thing I said close was talking about the article Jordan Hawkins wrote himself, and how when he was presenting his own thoughts on his reasons for committing he didn't bring up conference at all.

I'm amazed you think canned answers 17 year olds give to reporters are super meaningful. I remember when Ben Gordon committed there were articles where he was talking about how the Dairy Bar was one of the big reasons. So I guess people here actually think a top 50 recruit committed to us because of ice cream.

:)

Reaction Score
You could have just admitted you didn't find a post where I said that. :) Must be weird to think you know more about how recruiting works than Hurley.
No I just can't argue with someone who has already proved they aren't logical. Good day sir.

Reaction Score
No I just can't argue with someone who has already proved they aren't logical. Good day sir.
Yeah I guess Hurley's not logical either since he said the exact thing I've been saying.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
Behind Bouk, I think I’m most excited to see what Tyrese brings. Kid seems like a warrior.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom