Middlesex Chamber Hurley Breakfast - Oct 7th | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Middlesex Chamber Hurley Breakfast - Oct 7th

Curiouser
Reaction Score

I owe @coachn an apology. It looks like we do not have a traditional point guard, which I assumed Newton would be.

I hesitate to say that this and the apparent lack of toughness are "concerning," not only because I don't want it to be confused for shtick, but because it's early and because I don't put a lot of stock in Hurley's public statements. But I will say that it doesn't sound like a traditional UConn team. Should be a very interesting season.

Reaction Score
Great to see Springs falling into rotation discussion. Coachspeak or not. Guessing he's showing up in practice and providing DH with solid competition against our young Bigs (not Adama)

Reaction Score
The one that caught me most by surprise was Newton/Diarra competing for the starting spot.

Is Newton not adjusting to the higher level of competition, or is Diarra breaking out as an upperclassman?

So top 9 would be Newton/Hawkins/Andre/Samson/Sanogo/Alleyne/Karaban/Diarra (in no order since it seems 2 starting positions are still unclear), and then Springs at the current moment

That pushes Calcaterra and Clingan to 10th and 11th where they probably won’t see many minutes at all. But I feel like the Springs quote was intentional that his position in the lineup could shift.

And of course we can’t put it past Hurley to run a 7.5 man lineup if 8-10 aren’t playing well

SO MANY OPTIONS

Reaction Score
I owe @coachn an apology. It looks like we do not have a traditional point guard, which I assumed Newton would be.

I hesitate to say that this and the apparent lack of toughness are "concerning," not only because I don't want it to be confused for shtick, but because it's early and because I don't put a lot of stock in Hurley's public statements. But I will say that it doesn't sound like a traditional UConn team. Should be a very interesting season.
I had an entirely different read on that quote, I took it as a really good sign that we'll have 2 legit PGs. I didn't really view Diarra as much of a factor and figured he wouldn't get more than 10 minutes but if he's pushing for starter minutes that's a good thing for this team

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I had an entirely different read on that quote, I took it as a really good sign that we'll have 2 legit PGs. I didn't really view Diarra as much of a factor and figured he wouldn't get more than 10 minutes but if he's pushing for starter minutes that's a good thing for this team
I am putting it together with what has been reported by Dauster and others, that Newton hasn't really impressed, and that Hurley sees him playing off the ball more.

I am happy to hear that Diarra may be more of a factor than expected and agree that that is a strength, as compared with last year's lack of depth at PG.

My number one takeaway continues to be that Hurley is all-in on Andre running the point and the team. I hope he can put it all together to fulfill those pretty lofty expectations.

Reaction Score
I am putting it together with what has been reported by Dauster and others, that Newton hasn't really impressed, and that Hurley sees him playing off the ball more.

I am happy to hear that Diarra may be more of a factor than expected and agree that that is a strength, as compared with last year's lack of depth at PG.

My number one takeaway continues to be that Hurley is all-in on Andre running the point and the team. I hope he can put it all together to fulfill those pretty lofty expectations.
I guess that's fair. I don't put much stock into Newton playing off the ball, and certainly not as a negative thing. That's the best lineup for the team, we're wasting Andre if he's not using his playmaking and is just spotting up from 3 in the corner where the defenders won't even respect his shot

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
IMO Hurley’s quote about PG is an attempt to motivate Newton through the media. My guess is Newton is still the starter the majority of the season. Although this makes me feel like we see Hassan start at PG in all 4 games before the PK and Newton takes over from there. Either way, I’m not concerned.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I guess that's fair. I don't put much stock into Newton playing off the ball, and certainly not as a negative thing. That's the best lineup for the team, we're wasting Andre if he's not using his playmaking and is just spotting up from 3 in the corner where the defenders won't even respect his shot
I agree that we don't want Andre camped at the 3-point line. He's a unique player with some incredible gifts, but also some limitations that make him hard to fit in a traditional lineup. And I am definitely guilty of seeing things more through that lens, simply because I do not have as much experience observing successful non-traditional lineups in college basketball.

One thing I do understand is that my feelings about it are irrelevant, and that the team will be built around Andre no matter what.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Here's another way to view it.

Hurley has always wanted to win with toughness. His way has garnered a big fat zero NCAA wins.

Maybe if the team isn't tough enough he will have to coach in a way where skill gets the win.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Personally. after watching Newton play a few times last year, I didn't think he was a high level PG - the kid has athleticism and spurtability but scored a lot in garbage time and was tending to play hero ball. That doesn't mean he cannot become the PG that DH wants running the show. A lot of BYers were thinking he was the second coming of .................... but I was given crap for cautioning everyone after he decided to come to Storrs
Again, he may turn into the real deal at PG and I want to see that occur because it would make the team that much stronger. DH might be playing head games with him through the press and/or perhaps one of the other 2 PG xfers is better than advertised. This will be an interesting development.
I was hoping for a better report on Clingan but I understand he is a project
This is going to be a very intriguing year for UConn hoops - I can see huge successes but also could see a lot of growing pains, especially early.
Cant wait

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I’m still in the camp that Newton is our starting PG averaging 12-15PPG

Put me in the camp saying you may be right.

Also, put me in the camp that if you are right there's a chance this is a near undefeated team that is just blowing out every opponent and also a chance him scoring that much means the team is underperforming and he is shouldering too much of the scoring.

My final camp on this hot take is I think there is a much higher chance of it being the latter than the former.

In summary, if he is scoring that much, I think it's more likely this team is underperforming expectation than it is an indication this is a phenemonally performing team exceeding expecations.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
In the multiverse there are endless possibilities, including that one.

In terms of the field general/coach-on-the-floor/play-making role that many of us typically associate with PG, I think it's pretty clear that will be Andre's role on this team. If Hurley is accurate that whoever doesn't start as between Diarra and Newton will still be playing starter's minutes, that means that they will be sharing the position.

Reaction Score
Love the optimism, but no way he's close to 15 PPG. And that's not a knock on him at all, but just an acknowledgment of the scoring options around him. At best, he'd be the number three scoring option behind Sanogo and Hawkins.

Reaction Score
One way to build toughness is to make the players compete for everything. I think a hard PG competition will make both Newton And Diara tougher. My guess is that this is a way to light a fire under Newton. I fully expect him to be the starter

The Springs comments reminds of Calhoun saying, right now Justin Brown is out starter at center.

Reaction Score
I agree that we don't want Andre camped at the 3-point line. He's a unique player with some incredible gifts, but also some limitations that make him hard to fit in a traditional lineup. And I am definitely guilty of seeing things more through that lens, simply because I do not have as much experience observing successful non-traditional lineups in college basketball.

One thing I do understand is that my feelings about it are irrelevant, and that the team will be built around Andre no matter what.
Him at the free throw line against zone defenses is my dream

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF by The Taboo Group

Reaction Score
I know every year almost every team's coaches always talk about "we'll have great depth" during pre-season. Then it almost always ends up being a 6-7 player rotation.

However, this is one team/season that I really really think the odds are very high that we'll legitimately see a 8-10 player rotation (each getting significant double-digit-ish minutes) vs. our weak competition, and 7-9 player rotations vs. our tougher comp.

Let's get this season started!!!

Reaction Score
If you have maybe sorta 2 PGs you have definitely 0 PGs.

This team is going to struggle at the end of the shot clock to find shots and make plays, so everyone build that into your mental model right now...
This team will score in transition, through set plays, and offensive putbacks, but creative playmaking will not be a strength...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom