Mid-range jumpers - have they disappeared? | The Boneyard

Mid-range jumpers - have they disappeared?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I wasn't able to watch the first five minutes or so of both halves of the SMU game so I realize I could be off base, but it seemed that UConn hardly took any mid-range jump shots. I only remember Stewart trying one. Everything else was either a 3-point attempt or a drive to the basket.

I'm sure I missed a few but did anyone else notice this?

Reaction Score
I wasn't able to watch the first five minutes or so of both halves of the SMU game so I realize I could be off base, but it seemed that UConn hardly took any mid-range jump shots. I only remember Stewart trying one. Everything else was either a 3-point attempt or a drive to the basket.

Other than Stewart and KLM, UConn really does not have anyone with a real *jump* shot which is needed to make that mid-range shots. If the 3pt shot does not fall against Duke, UConn could be in for a tough game with Duke's size.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is also the law of averages - good shooters hit 32+% from 3 point range and good shooters seldom shoot above 45% from 10-15 feet and out in game action so shooting the 3 instead of the mid-range is more point efficient (equal to 48% on a two.) Great shooters hit 40+% on 3s which is the equivalent of 60% from 2 - something only achieved on 5 footers and layups.
There are a number of post players who can hit a decent percentage from 15+ feet like Dolson, but become too inaccurate from 3 so they are the ones that tend to shoot mid-range and it keeps them closer to the basket for rebounding.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
KML can hit the mid-range shot consistently, and sometimes the defense will give her that more readily than a 3. Morgan has been so successful with post moves and penetration that she hasn't needed to take many jump shots, but I suspect that her accuracy on them is quite good. But it is true that UConn does not have anyone quite like Stef or Bria to hit those shots.

It may be that Kiah Stokes is better from that range than we think.

Reaction Score

I know this was referring to UConn specifically, but yes the mid-range shot has disappeared in basketball thanks to everyone fully adapting to mathematical impact of the 3-point shot over the last three decades. What started on the high-school level has worked its way all the way up to the NBA fully now.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
When you are being successful penetrating all the way to the rim mid-range jumpers dry up because they aren't necessary if you are finishing at the rim or gaining the advantage of FTs. MoJett, Tuck, Nurse, and KML are all successful along with Stewie in getting to the rim in different manners and under different circumstances. In certain games the pull up has been seen than in many others.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Jewel Loyd obviously has a mid range jump shot, so I wonder if this a UConn team trait vs WBB in general? I watch a lot of games and there are some teams that rarely shoot 3's. TV announcers in some games are quick to point out teams that are most likely unable to make a comeback due to the lack of 3 point shooters a team has. Its a good question that I don't know the answer to.

Reaction Score
I agree with Scotter; the mid range shot has decreased significantly over the years but particularly in the women's game. There are certainly women who do take them, like Stewart, Loyd, Scaiffe to name a few of the nicer ones I've seen this year in WCBB, along with Moore, Taurasi, Augustus, Danielle Robinson to name a few of the nicer ones in the WNBA.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that most women don't have a "true jump shot" which is when you use your legs to get off the ground and allow your body to raise up, then release the ball not when still rising but at the pinnacle of your leap. That shot is grossly undervalued for the ability it has to separate the ball from you and your defender. The shot taken by most women is not a jump shot, it is a set shot where there is very little leaping involved, which is easier for a guard to do from three point distance when they have room between themselves and the defender. It is much more common these days to see forwards with some length taking 10-15 footers because they can get the shot off more easily. I think with the increasing athleticism of women's players, it would be a shame if more coaches on the club team and high school levels didn't teach the jump shot, because those who do have the leaping ability and leg strength would really benefit from rising above their defender from 10-15 feet out.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Maya has had a wonderful turn-around baseline mid-range jumper in her arsenal since high school
Two lovely examples in Stanford' Christmas in Connecticut on UTUBE.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Rutgers, which finished dead last in the NCAAs in 3-pt attempts last year, takes A LOT of mid-range jumpers, and continue to do so this year, although they've slightly increased their 3-pt attempts. Scaife is the most prolific from that range, but Laney has made herself very good there, and Copper and Canty can hit from that range as well. But RU is unique in that aspect, to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom