Mid Major Love: Players or Teams to Watch in 24-25 | The Boneyard

Mid Major Love: Players or Teams to Watch in 24-25

Reaction Score
I was randomly pretty bummed out thinking, was Savanah Wheeler a senior. Admittedly, I'd mostly caught her in MTSU's matchups against top 25 teams over the past couple years, but I was wondering what happened with her? Did she get a tryout with a W team, did she sign with someone overseas? In any event, I'm not going to make the same mistake this year. I'm gonna try to keep better track of the great talent in the Mid majors. I haven't compiled a list yet, some hoping Boneyarders will chime in with some of their faves. But what made this thread come to mind was Katie Dinnebier of Drake Women's basketball. She's their lead guard who basically put up 18 and 7 assist on 54 42 86 shooting splits. She played well in their tournament game against Colorado, a cool 24 and 7 against Jayln Sherrod, who barely missed making the Liberty this summer. She made such a big jump from her sophomore to junior season. I'm just looking forward to seeing what she does her senior year.

What other players or teams from the mid-major conferences are you looking forward to seeing.

Reaction Score
It could be a rebuilding year for Gonzaga, but Yvonne Ejim is a pleasure to watch play. A bit undersized but highly effective power forward.
I second this. She's gotten better every season and won the Hammon award too. Further proof is her selection to the Olympic squad for Canada. She beat out players like Kyei to have a spot on the roster. Looking forward to seeing what she can do this year.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Did someone say mid-majors?

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Another player I thought I'd mention is Grace Larkins from South Dakota. A guard who averaged 16.5 points, 7.4 rebounds, and 4.9 assists a game. While South Dakota has been down after losing a lot from their Sweet 16 run in 21-22, Larkins has been fantastic and is fun to watch.

Reaction Score
Janelle Brown and Meghan Anderson of Fairfield are outstanding. I'm just assuming Brown returns for a covid year since she was listed as a senior. There's no doubt about Anderson, who will be just a sophomore. Brown is quick and athletic and very effective off the dribble. Anderson, 6'1, is a deadly shooter. Fairfield is a lot of fun to watch.

Reaction Score
Janelle Brown and Meghan Anderson of Fairfield are outstanding. I'm just assuming Brown returns for a covid year since she was listed as a senior. There's no doubt about Anderson, who will be just a sophomore. Brown is quick and athletic and very effective off the dribble. Anderson, 6'1, is a deadly shooter. Fairfield is a lot of fun to watch.
Looking forward to seeing how Fairfield does this year. They also have a Canadian recruit I'm a fan of in Cyanne John. Had been targeted by quite a few P4 schools until she suffered back to back season ending injuries and lost a season due to COVID. Personally I think she's paired with a coach who will get the best out of her.

Reaction Score
It could be a rebuilding year for Gonzaga, but Yvonne Ejim is a pleasure to watch play. A bit undersized but highly effective power forward.
I am looking forward to watching Gonzaga games this season. It is going to an interesting season for them and coach Fortier but I know they will do well. Yvonne is a joy to watch. Energy for days! They have a sleeper on the squad in Bree Salenbien who could see more minutes and help the program.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
They have a sleeper on the squad in Bree Salenbien who could see more minutes and help the program.
It seems like she's struggled to stay healthy most of her career at GU. I know expectations were high when she arrived. Might've been their highest rated recruit ever.

Reaction Score
I hear the Zags also picked up a spunky pg by the name of Bettencourt. I’m very interested in seeing how she does.

Reaction Score
Looking forward to seeing how Fairfield does this year. They also have a Canadian recruit I'm a fan of in Cyanne John. Had been targeted by quite a few P4 schools until she suffered back to back season ending injuries and lost a season due to COVID. Personally I think she's paired with a coach who will get the best out of her.
On paper, Fairfield appears to have a silly level of talent for the MAAC. If you replaced their top 5 players with walk-ons, they might still be favorites to win their conference. Looking forward to seeing what they can put together for an OOC schedule.

Reaction Score
On paper, Fairfield appears to have a silly level of talent for the MAAC. If you replaced their top 5 players with walk-ons, they might still be favorites to win their conference. Looking forward to seeing what they can put together for an OOC schedule.
24-25 schedule with last year's NET rankings.

i think a smart selection of games. significantly upgraded (#84 St. Johns and #56 Vandy were only 23-24 games of note), but not messing with top-4 seed type teams. i'd like 7-2. 6-3 ok. 5-4 disappointing.

Home
#53 vs. Richmond (Nov. 12)
#52 vs. Villanova (Dec. 8)
#343 vs. CCSU (TBD)
#NIL vs. D-2 (TBD)

Road
#75 @ Arkansas (Nov. 4)
#58 @ Oklahoma State (Nov. 16)
#319 @ Charleston Southern (Nov. 25)
#129 @ Wake Forest (Nov. 27)
#84 @ St. John's (TBD)

Reaction Score
In the Ivy League, Columbia. They had 2 players Abbey Hsu and Kaitlyn Davis go 34 and 35 in the WNBA draft this yr. Players that I like from this squad are Kitty Henderson, Susie Rafiu, and Riley Weiss. Coach G has been doing amazing things for this program.

Reaction Score
There's some fabulous players out there - and I look forward to drafting some of them in my fantasy league this season. I'd venture these are among the best returnees -- and it's sad to see some players like Caitlin Wiemar and Izzy Higginbottom move on from these ranks to try their luck in a bigger pool.

Rachel Rose, Wofford. Rose has been absolutely fantastic at Wofford - averaging 23.8ppg, 8.8 rpg, and 5.8apg. She's running it back with Wofford for her senior year.

Emani Jefferson is the name to watch out for as Florida Gulf Coast continues to run a high octane offense.

Diamond Johnson should have another year left at Norfolk State and I'm interested to see what she does with another year there.

As for Katie Dinnebier at Drake - it'll be curious to see if she can run it back this year with Grace Berg and Taylor McAulay graduating - she'll have to find some help from Anna Miller to excel once more this year.

Katelyn Young is back for another go with Murray State - and she'll be a force to be reckoned with.

Madison St. Rose will be hoping to lead Princeton back to yet another Ivy title - but with Ellie Mitchell and Kaitlyn Chen moving on, it'll be interesting to see what Princeton looks like this year.

As a Denver University fan, WHAT DO YOU MEAN GRACE LARKINS HASN'T GRADUATED YET? At least, we have...Emma Smith back for another run and Kacie Borowicz has graduated.

Other names of note:

Macy McGlone, Eastern Illinois
The Warren Twins, Utah Tech
Adrianna Smith, Maine
Talya Brugler, St. Joes
Addie Budnik, Richmond
Allyson Fertig, Wyoming

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I'm keeping an eye on Charlotte....big fan of Coach Reed.

Reaction Score

I know this is about mid-major players, but thought this was the most appropriate location versus starting another thread because it's Coach Fortier.

Glad to see that she'll be on the sidelines this season. I have a few opinions on cancer but the choice of words aren't approved :mad:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I got my eyes on UNC-G, NC A&T, High Point, Western Carolina, and Presbyterian.

WCU has a new coach who formerly headed up Wisconsin. Presbyterian off their first NCAA appearance has a new coach and a whole new roster. A&T returns most of the roster that made serious noise in the CAA last season. UNC-G is gonna be a force in the SOCON. Last but not least, look for HPU to return to the top of the Big South, this time finishing the deal and returning to the NCAAs

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I got my eyes on UNC-G, NC A&T, High Point, Western Carolina, and Presbyterian.

WCU has a new coach who formerly headed up Wisconsin. Presbyterian off their first NCAA appearance has a new coach and a whole new roster. A&T returns most of the roster that made serious noise in the CAA last season. UNC-G is gonna be a force in the SOCON. Last but not least, look for HPU to return to the top of the Big South, this time finishing the deal and returning to the NCAAs
How many eyes do you have? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Are WSU (Cougars) & OSU (Beavers) mid-majors now?
Go Beavs.

The 2024 aftermath was one of the most heartbreaking things I've ever seen. Major kudos to Scott Reuck for staying. I hope he rebuilds quickly and brigs them back to the national stage. It's gonna be tough but he is easily one of the top 10 coaches of these times.

Reaction Score
Another player I thought I'd mention is Grace Larkins from South Dakota. A guard who averaged 16.5 points, 7.4 rebounds, and 4.9 assists a game. While South Dakota has been down after losing a lot from their Sweet 16 run in 21-22, Larkins has been fantastic and is fun to watch.
My kids attended her high school (Southeast Polk, Des Moines suburb) so saw 90% of her games 9th-12th grade. Has a slithery way of getting inside and long arms on defense. Hope she has a great season! FWIW, Grace went 3-1 vs Caitlin Clark's Dowling Catholic teams.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom