Mick Cronin is the problem | The Boneyard

Mick Cronin is the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That team should have been so much better than they were this season, but they never improved, and they never figured out how to run an inside-out offense. I honestly think Cronin's so obsessed with us that he's not able to gameplan well for other teams.

Oh well. We're the last AAC team standing, which is fine. Shame for Cincinnati, but the Big 12 is used to taking first-weekend teams.

EDIT: Sorry @kobe. You're one of my favorite posters, but... it is what it is.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Dude they have less offensive weapons than we do.

Reaction Score
That's a really tough call...not sure what the rule is on having to "release" a dunk. The ball was half way through the basket when the light went off, so the fact that his hand was still on the ball seems like it should have no significance in that situation. It isn't like a standard shot where the ball needs to leave your hand. His hands had hit the rim before the buzzer went off...very tough way to lose. I'm sure they probably got the call right, but very tough.

Reaction Score
I don't know about ripping Cronin as I think he's a pretty good coach, but that was a pretty disappointing season for them. I thought going into the season they were the best team in the AAC and it would be Cronin's best team ever since they returned everyone that mattered from last year's team, but in the end they were pretty much the same as last year's squad, maybe a smidgen worse.

Reaction Score
I don't know about ripping Cronin as I think he's a pretty good coach, but that was a pretty disappointing season for them. I thought going into the season they were the best team in the AAC and it would be Cronin's best team ever since they returned everyone that mattered from last year's team, but in the end they were pretty much the same as last year's squad, maybe a smidgen worse.
They returned 8 of the top 9 from last year's squad, but managed to play worse when it mattered. That team hung with Kentucky for about 35 minutes last year before running out of gas; this team was never in control vs. a one-threat St. Joe's squad.

Cronin may improve at some point, but this was honestly the worst job he's done in the 6 or so years I've paid attention to Cincy.

Reaction Score
this team was never in control vs. a one-threat St. Joe's squad.
Bembry isn't even St Joe's leading scorer. St. Joe's had some good players, and they made some tough shots. Ace was right to compare it to the 2014 UConn/Joe's game.

Also, let's not forget it took a last second shot and OT for them to get by Purdue in this same position last year.

Still think they should have been a Top 15 team this year, but St. Joe's (who I've consistently trashed) was very good today.

Reaction Score
They are a conference brother and it is in our best intereat for them to win in the tournament. In this game I really felt for them -- just as I hurt for Temple in their loss. In many ways, Cincy is one of the unluckily programs in cbb.

Reaction Score
They are a conference brother and it is in our best intereat for them to win in the tournament. In this game I really felt for them -- just as I hurt for Temple in their loss. In many ways, Cincy is one of the unluckily programs in cbb.
For sure, and I think Cronin is a guy that'll consistently produce teams that get to the tourney.

But they *****ng bottle when it matters. It's disappointing, because I wanted to see them kick the **** out of somebody the same way they body us during the season.

Reaction Score
Tulsa, Temple and Cincy all came close to wins - yes I know Tulsa's game was to get in and they likely would have lost to ND but still. This conference needs the non-UConn teams to get results at some point.

Reaction Score
Cronin always gets maximum effort out of teams that really are not that talented.
I think that's a facile answer. They allowed 48% shooting and were even in rebounding and fouls - all their hallmarks. They weren't able to execute upon what carried them during the regular season, and that is on the coaching.

Reaction Score
That team should have been so much better than they were this season, but they never improved, and they never figured out how to run an inside-out offense. I honestly think Cronin's so obsessed with us that he's not able to gameplan well for other teams.

Oh well. We're the last AAC team standing, which is fine. Shame for Cincinnati, but the Big 12 is used to taking first-weekend teams.

EDIT: Sorry @kobe. You're one of my favorite posters, but... it is what it is.[/QUOTE
Silly post. Cronin is a decent coach that lost a game by fractions Of a second.
Does your view change had uconn lost on Thursday?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Cincy lost 6 games by 2 points and another on a 62-foot prayer.

Hard to go after the coaching.

I respectfully disagree, coaches have their hands all over the finishes in close games. Timeouts, defensive strategy and calling key offensive sets. Also responsible for keeping your team loose and confident.

Cinci is always (physically) tough, but never wins anything (and I'm not talking about NC's)

Reaction Score
If I could give Cincinnati Providence's win I would. If it is any consolation, Cronin's mentor huggy bear got blown out by a 14.

Reaction Score

I thought they played like they were on downers. St. Joe's is a very talented team--from the perimeter. But they have no one who can do anything inside. That game should have been a cinch for Cincy. But they played like zombies for much of the first half. And down the stretch.

C

Chief00

I thought they were very tight - a team needs to be coached to enjoy the moment - Cincy doesn't seem to. They also need shooters.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
If I could give Cincinnati Providence's win I would. If it is any consolation, Cronin's mentor huggy bear got blown out by a 14.
That definitely made my day better yesterday.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Cincy lost 6 games by 2 points and another on a 62-foot prayer.

Hard to go after the coaching.
Disagree strongly. With their talent they should not have been that close on all of them. Continuously coming down to the last play is not a measure of success by a coach.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Disagree strongly. With their talent they should not have been that close on all of them. Continuously coming down to the last play is not a measure of success by a coach.
They didn't lose on a 62 foot prayer, they lost in the following OT. By a lot.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Worse part about Cincy losing is that martelli keeps going forward.

One of the biggest dicks around.

Do you know him?
I happen to know him and he is not that at all
Its statement like this that make me cringe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads