Michigan State transfer Alyza Winston to transfer to Miss State | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Michigan State transfer Alyza Winston to transfer to Miss State

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I think it's imperative that Geno go fishing in the portal for a guard for next year. I would really like to see him land a grad transfer who's a known quantity and would be there for only one year so as to not affect recruiting. Someone who is around 5-8, quick, a lockdown defender who can splash the three consistently would be ideal. I don't ask for much . . .

That said, I see no reason to be pursuing this player at this time.

Reaction Score
I think you can add all sorts of schools to your wish list. That list is a one way wish list from her own perspective. She does not even need to be offered. Don't know about the other teams but I doubt UConn would be interested for next season and beyond. As was mentioned, Baylors will be very thin at all positions next season so it might make sense for them. I think she might have just added UConn to spur interest by other schools.

Reaction Score
I think she might have just added UConn to spur interest by other schools.

And MM follows her to be kind?

Reaction Score
There probably is an advantage in letting players know that Uconn has some interest in that kind of player in the portal. It is not tampering, but someone out there that is considering the portal might be more likely to enter it if they thought Uconn could be a match.
Absolutely agree. You want to show that you are “in the market.”

Reaction Score
She could be a nice fit for any program. Her speed, toughness, and ability to attack the lane would help out any program. She has a pretty decent list of schools to think about and visit.

Reaction Score
She could be a nice fit for any program. Her speed, toughness, and ability to attack the lane would help out any program. She has a pretty decent list of schools to think about and visit.
she committed to Miss St this evening

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Transfers must transfer by July 1st to be eligible to play immediately. If you transfer mid-season you cannot play until the next season. Just like Saylor and Mir won't be playing in games for their new teams until next season.
Thanks Hoops. The transfer rules have changed so many times recently, I stopped trying to keep up. I know someone here in the yard does, and will keep us straight and informed. ;) That was quick. She was in our lives one minute, and gone the next. :eek: I'm going to follow her next season in the team's box score out of curiosity to see what might have been.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well, a little different thread gave us something new to get our teeth into

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I hear you, but right now, we need a healthy body that can put the ball in the basket, play some defense, and will show up for every game. If she fits that bill, I say welcome to our program. :cool:

Don’t forget that Lauren Park-Lane (Seton Hall) is “tiny“, but she’s quick, fearless and can score. I like her. Remember she dropped 29 on us her freshman year. If Alyza can help us NOW, I would not be concerned about her height.
She can't play until next season. there is no NOW

Carnac

Reaction Score
She can't play until next season. there is no NOW
I've been corrected by another poster. I didn't know that when I wrote that comment. I don't keep with the transfer rules.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Well, a little different thread gave us something new to get our teeth into
We should be talking about the Marquette game that should have been played yesterday, and the DePaul game tomorrow. Marquette = a game we should have won. I wanted to see how our team responded to several practices without Paige. I'm not so sure about DePaul, because of their new freshman Aneesah Morrow, who already has 9 double doubles and leads the country in rebounding at 6'1". She shows up for BIG games. Not to mention the 4 other players averaging double figures in scoring. The team is averaging 91ppg. UConn has been turning the ball over way too much recently to think we can hold them below their average. :rolleyes:

2021-22 DePaul Women's Basketball Combined Team Statistics All games

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I've been corrected by another poster. I didn't know that when I wrote that comment. I don't keep with the transfer rules.
Yea, what's the matter with you. LOL. As far as Winston, we don't need her, or any non-recruited player. What is happening now with the injuries is not normal, and after this year we will be set for guards for the next 2 years.
21-22- Paige, Nika, Azzi, Caroline
22-23- Paige, Nika, Azzi, K.K., Caroline

We need her this year, which can't happen, but next year we won't need her, or anyone else. If he wants another guard for the 22-2 class, let it be a HS player who will have 4 years of eligibility. Hope I'm right.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Yea, what's the matter with you. LOL. As far as Winston, we don't need her, or any non-recruited player. What is happening now with the injuries is not normal, and after this year we will be set for guards for the next 2 years.

We need her this year, which can't happen, but next year we won't need her, or anyone else. If he wants another guard for the 22-2 class, let it be a HS player who will have 4 years of eligibility. Hope I'm right.

Fellow bald one: I think you're off a year above.

Also, we need another guard for next year for depth. Two injuries and you're in deep doo-doo, as we are/were now.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
she committed to Miss St this eveningI
I'm still at a loss on this transfer; particularly if it's basketball-related. She was getting plenty of minutes and could play off of Nia Clouden. Then she transfers and chooses to go to a team that seems to be virtually comprised of guards between 5'6" and 5'9", including the three Hayes sisters, two of whom are coming back next year. They all play off Rickea Jackson, which may -- repeat, may -- have something to do with this. Both Jackson and Winston are from Michigan. Maybe they played on the same AAU team? I could check Rickea but Winston's bio page has been 404'd from the MSU site.

Oh, lastly, is Doug Novak coming back next year? I still see the "interim" on the MSU website.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom