Michigan State transfer Alyza Winston to transfer to Miss State | The Boneyard

Michigan State transfer Alyza Winston to transfer to Miss State

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Who is she, and can she help us RIGHT NOW? :eek:

Winston_Alyza_cropped.jpg

ALYZA WINSTON = 5'7" Sophomore guard from Muskegon, Mich.

Reaction Score
Don't understand what she want? She is in transfer portal and is looking for those 5 schools to contact her?

Reaction Score
She can't play until next season. What's the point of going into the portal now?

Carnac

Reaction Score
She can't play until next season. What's the point of going into the portal now?
I don't know why she entered the portal, but if she's not happy at Michigan State, and she's made up her mind to leave, why wait to leave AFTER the season? Like Mir did, leave now. Find a new home. If you have to sit out, fine. At least you're in your new home and can begin to acclimate yourself to your new school, coaches and teammates. :cool: When it's over, it's over. Just like a bad marriage. :confused:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
758B3579-3A0D-40AF-B484-2A53ED0D3962.png

Umm. Does this mean we’ll know something tonight? 6:00?

Reaction Score
On page 17 of 18 in the December Recruiting Thread, there is a post saying that Morgan Valley is now following her.....

(sorry, couldn't figure out how to post the link with my phone)

Reaction Score
Don't quite see how this is a possible fit. Stats and height says PG. Seems like the main need is for a midsize quality wing that could back up the 2/3 for one year or maybe two. Myers from Princeton who was mentioned as likely in the portal would seem like a better option if we have any chance for her.

There probably is an advantage in letting players know that Uconn has some interest in that kind of player in the portal. It is not tampering, but someone out there that is considering the portal might be more likely to enter it if they thought Uconn could be a match.

Reaction Score
From the MSU WBB web page (and elsewhere)
Started 10/10 games this year, Entered portal 12/ 9/ 2021
Second leading scorer on team 12.2 ppg, Field Goal % .425
three pointe % .259 Looks pretty quick on some video ( including
some from H. S.)
We will see! Since she is from Muskegon, Michigan is UCONN
really in this "mix"? or will she be going SOUTH : Baylor, Miss St,
Texas, Old Miss. ??? Z

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if UConn is not interested at all and she just added the UConn logo to get more clicks. Baylor may be an option because Kim left the recruiting cupboard bare. They return 5 players for next year.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if UConn is not interested at all and she just added the UConn logo to get more clicks. Baylor may be an option because Kim left the recruiting cupboard bare. They return 5 players for next year.

It was stated in the Dec recruiting thread that Morgan valley is following her

Carnac

Reaction Score
Don't quite see how this is a possible fit. Stats and height says PG. Seems like the main need is for a midsize quality wing that could back up the 2/3 for one year or maybe two. Myers from Princeton who was mentioned as likely in the portal would seem like a better option if we have any chance for her.

There probably is an advantage in letting players know that Uconn has some interest in that kind of player in the portal. It is not tampering, but someone out there that is considering the portal might be more likely to enter it if they thought Uconn could be a match.
I hear you, but right now, we need a healthy body that can put the ball in the basket, play some defense, and will show up for every game. If she fits that bill, I say welcome to our program. :cool:

Don’t forget that Lauren Park-Lane (Seton Hall) is “tiny“, but she’s quick, fearless and can score. I like her. Remember she dropped 29 on us her freshman year. If Alyza can help us NOW, I would not be concerned about her height.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hear you, but right now, we need a healthy body that can put the ball in the basket, play some defense, and will show up for every game. If she fits that bill, I say welcome to our program. :cool:

Don’t forget that Lauren Park-Lane (Seton Hall) is “tiny“, but she’s quick, fearless and can score. I like her. Remember she dropped 29 on us her freshman year. If Alyza can help us NOW, I would not be concerned about her height.
Your scenario can’t work but even if it could, do you want this program to reduce itself to the point where they need to bring portal-players to help with near- term temporary injuries? And, looking at who will be on this roster in 2023, she would be high-fiving her fellow bench players when someone makes a 3.

Reaction Score
From the MSU WBB web page (and elsewhere)
Started 10/10 games this year, Entered portal 12/ 9/ 2021
Second leading scorer on team 12.2 ppg, Field Goal % .425
three pointe % .259 Looks pretty quick on some video ( including
some from H. S.)
We will see! Since she is from Muskegon, Michigan is UCONN
really in this "mix"? or will she be going SOUTH : Baylor, Miss St,
Texas, Old Miss. ??? Z
Why would we want a small, poor shooting guard? I’m not getting it!

Reaction Score
She looks interesting enough, but I doubt that I will add another OT song to the "disappointed, frustration" list if she heads out to somewhere else.

Reaction Score

Based on "real estate" given for each school, these are my odds for each school of potentially getting Alyza; :rolleyes:

Baylor: 41.5%
Texas: 20%
Miss State: 15.5%
UConn: 12.5%
Ole Miss: 10%

Reaction Score
Usually they would have to wait a full calendar year, so she would not be able to play until January 2023, right? Or with the new transfer rules, would it be the beginning of the next season?

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
It is the beginning of next season.

We need depth for 2022-2023 in the backcourt/small forward since we only have Paige, Nika, Azzi and Caroline for 3 positions. Hopefully we pick up another guard/small forward or two from the 2023 recruiting class for 2023-2024 and beyond. I have no idea how Europe might factor into any of this.

Aubrey is kind of a 3/4 but her back problems are an issue and Ayanna looks like a 4 to me.

But the four we have project to log big minutes and it sounded like playing time at Michigan State was an issue for Winston. I think our needs for 2022-2023 are more at the 2/3 anyhow.

Myers might be a better fit. The portal floodgates will open in March or April as well and I’m sure there will be some players of interest. Projected amount of playing time available will likely work against us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom