Michigan AD confirms they will honor 2013 game.... | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Michigan AD confirms they will honor 2013 game....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A great point, and not something we've seen talked about much. I was expecting more here sooner, and it's starting to look a little worrying. Multiple MAC teams WON'T CUT IT, especially if UMass becomes an annual game.

Manuel and PP need to get going on this - now.

No way? Really?

What if the Big XII, SEC, Pac Ten and Big Ten announce that their champions will play in a 4 team tourney at the end of every year, and the NCAA can either sanction it or they'll leave?

There are lots of things that can force ND into a conference. It is only a question of whether any of them happen.

I'll jsut go ahead and write my thoughts and take them for whatever you think it's worth. I belive that the only way Notre Dame gives up independance, is exactly the situation that you describe.........a situation that arises were only being in a conference, is going to affect their ability to play for a national title in the post season. I didn't hear Slive's comments mentioned earlier today, but no reason to doubt what was written, that he favors Notre Dame remaining independant. Of course he does.

When it comes to Notre Dame though, I'm pretty sure that Notre Dame is of the historical Jesuit tradition of colleges. It's beyond me, how Notre Dame is the only one that over the years through the transitioning of football from the 1950's until now among college football has occurred, that they're the only ones that have held on so tight to it (Boston college as well).

There is no other sport, like football, where the Jesuit principles on life are so clearly taught. Selflessness and sacrifice for the greater good of your team. Battle. St. Ignatius of Loyola. So many colleges until the Ivy's brought down the value of football in the northeast carried football. St. John's, Marquette, Georgetown still plays (DIII), Holy Cross, etc. etc... The backbone of the big east, has continued that tradition in teaching and athletics in basketball.....but it's become more than clear that football is the sport that is the financial driver in the landscape.

I chose UConn, well sort of......I ended up at UConn.....a secular school, where kids have the choice to go to mass or not, or to temple, or to mosque, or to candlelit circles with sheep (anybody read aobut that in East Hartford? WTF?)....anyway......but the sacrifice for your team principles don't change.

Notre Dame has much more in common with the Big East, than any other athletic league in the country, and UConn has been the only program loyal to the Big East all along. I'd love to see the scheduling with Notre Dame in football reopened.

Gotta run for the day - for real this time. wink wink.

Reaction Score
Well, they came to Virginia four years ago. The point is, getting a "blueblood" to play a Big East team in a true away venue is extremely difficult. Other than Pitt getting Notre Dame, how often do the true bluebloods like Alabama, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, USC, Texas, Ohio State, Tennessee and Nebraska play a Big East team in a true road game?

I simply disagree with the original poster saying we should move the game to NYC immediately because of the rise in national profile. UConn has a chance to get two bluebooks to come play them at the Rent in three years. How many other Big East programs can say that?

Convoluted though it may sound, changing location has less to do with the city or town. It has more to do with available seating. Programs that perceive themselves as being big/national want seats for alumni and close-by boosters. My area of the state has a significant Michigan following. Once, while traveling through Darien on the Saturday of the MI/O State game, I counted 11 big MI flags on poles or hanging from windows. At my destination (GHS/DHS game), I was told the flags were out in Greenwich, as well. These people will want tickets; tickets that will be hard to get.

Oh, and it's not all about making alumni/ boosters feel warm and fuzzy. I'm sure that any additional monies generated by seating capacity will be accepted.

Reaction Score
I'll jsut go ahead and write my thoughts and take them for whatever you think it's worth. I belive that the only way Notre Dame gives up independance, is exactly the situation that you describe.........a situation that arises were only being in a conference, is going to affect their ability to play for a national title in the post season. I didn't hear Slive's comments mentioned earlier today, but no reason to doubt what was written, that he favors Notre Dame remaining independant. Of course he does.

When it comes to Notre Dame though, I'm pretty sure that Notre Dame is of the historical Jesuit tradition of colleges. It's beyond me, how Notre Dame is the only one that over the years through the transitioning of football from the 1950's until now among college football has occurred, that they're the only ones that have held on so tight to it (Boston college as well).

There is no other sport, like football, where the Jesuit principles on life are so clearly taught. Selflessness and sacrifice for the greater good of your team. Battle. St. Ignatius of Loyola. So many colleges until the Ivy's brought down the value of football in the northeast carried football. St. John's, Marquette, Georgetown still plays (DIII), Holy Cross, etc. etc... The backbone of the big east, has continued that tradition in teaching and athletics in basketball.....but it's become more than clear that football is the sport that is the financial driver in the landscape.

I chose UConn, well sort of......I ended up at UConn.....a secular school, where kids have the choice to go to mass or not, or to temple, or to mosque, or to candlelit circles with sheep (anybody read aobut that in East Hartford? WTF?)....anyway......but the sacrifice for your team principles don't change.

Notre Dame has much more in common with the Big East, than any other athletic league in the country, and UConn has been the only program loyal to the Big East all along. I'd love to see the scheduling with Notre Dame in football reopened.

Gotta run for the day - for real this time. wink wink.
I guess Carl does not realize that neither ND nor SJ are Jesuit colleges, makes one wonder.

pj

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is not Jesuit, it is run by the Congregation of Holy Cross, a small order.

Notre Dame is certainly interested in NYC and east coast media markets, not sure how that plays out in terms of interest in playing UConn or affiliating with the Big East in football.

Reaction Score
I can't keep track of the roman catholic denominations. I go to mass on sundays on holy days. My favorite church is St. Patricks cathedral. I'll go wherever there's a catholic mass though. I went to the church on the corner of N. Eaglevile and 195 at UConn - Assissi? A discussion on religion and college football is for another day and big bottle of Scotch. BC is Jesuit, and Notre Dame is whatever it is - they're both Catholics, and so are the rest of the non-secular schools in teh Big East.

Suffice to say that down the south in the bible belt, the protestant religion denominations are in charge, while up north is Roman Catholic territory.

Not that any of that should matter at state schools!!! LOL.

Reaction Score
I can't keep track of the roman catholic denominations. I go to mass on sundays on holy days. My favorite church is St. Patricks cathedral. I'll go wherever there's a catholic mass though. I went to the church on the corner of N. Eaglevile and 195 at UConn - Assissi? A discussion on religion and college football is for another day and big bottle of Scotch. BC is Jesuit, and Notre Dame is whatever it is - they're both Catholics, and so are the rest of the non-secular schools in teh Big East.

Suffice to say that down the south in the bible belt, the protestant religion denominations are in charge, while up north is Roman Catholic territory.

Not that any of that should matter at state schools!!! LOL.
Not at Alabama, Nick Saban is RC.

Reaction Score
@Carl I love the passion buddy. I believe the best scenario would be for Uconn to make the bowl game at Yankee stadium this year first. I agree they should tap into Nyc for games but I don't think it will happen being from the big east. Have to get in the ACC and play teams like Miami, Va Tech etc.. there. Syracuse got USC because they have a huge alumni base in NYC & their in a better conference more $$$. Would love to see them play Michigan well anywhere at this point, but the best chance as of now is them playing Navy in 2015 @ Yankee stadium. Nyc likes winners and unless Uconn starts winning this year, it will be harder to pitch a game there. You remember the Rutgers hoopla a few years ago right. It was big here. Need to establish being more than a basketball school.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'll say this, I would much rather drive to Giants Stadium from New London to see UConn take on Michigan than to drive to Rentschler Field and see them play Central Michigan.

Playing Michigan at The Rent in 2013 is a big deal. However if it's a take it or leave offer of Giants Stadium or nothing, I'm taking Giants Stadium. I'm still opposed to playing in Yankee Stadium, as everything I've heard has said it's not a great place to watch a football game (sightlines, etc.).

Since I started getting season tickets in 2005 I've been to Charlotte, Toronto, Birmingham and Phoenix.

Just tell me the date and god damn time and I'll be there.

Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
^lmfao

i say play them at the rent next year. then have a 2 for 2. michigan for 2, nyc 1 in the middle and 1 at the rent. then gove them some bball games mens and womens so that they feel good about it. maybe even a soccer game.

I like this a lot!

Would love a 3 game series in baseball too! (at Ann Arbor)

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
You do know that Rentschler was designed to seat 50k? That the foudnation of the structure is in place to build above ground to put seating for another 10k in a third tier opposite the tower? That the concept of expanding in about 10 years was originally planned?

Expansion to 50k, cost and time wise is not a bank breaker at this point in time. If we can't have 50k seat sell out for a season that includes back to back weeks of games at home v. Maryland and Michigan......well, I believe we'd sell out at 50k.

The issue is getting the snowball going, and I've talked ad nauseuam about this in the past. Whether or not you want to think it was paper sell outs or actually gate sell outs, Rentschler was sold consecutively for I believe at least two full seasons around 2005-2006 - when we were playing our worst and filling our schedules with low profile teams.........the athletic department dropped the ball, instead of working like hell to retain season ticket buyers 6,7 years ago, and at the same time figure out who and where the new buyers can be found, they expected the basketball model to work and sat with their thumbs up their rears and planned golf vacations for the post season.

What the athletic department failed to do, was generate interest for new ticket buyers, when it was most crucial, which is something that constantly needs to be done in football. They went the basketball model and simply expected 40,000 tickets to be bought every year blindly........we've got the opportunity to recover from that strongly, with scheduling in coming years.

This year - is the very first year - I've seen on my ticket purchasing stuff - a slot to check if you are a new buyer or a returner......they're learning up there in storrs.....slowly.

anywya - I'm tangenting. To go beyond 50,000 seats at Rentschler, will be a major undertaking, to get to 50k wouldn't be, the construction could be done quite quickly - over hte course of a summer - and putting that third tier up there would make it a very, very difficult place for visiting teams.

The key to all of it, is winning games.

i know that the 50k plans are there and everything, but i just think thats not enough at all. i guess if that can be done in one off season then fine it makes sense. i would like to go big or don't go, but you have me hooked now becuase it can be done fast(if true).

i know that open endzone is for looking to hartford so important balh blah but close that in so that its a complete bowl and then do your planned 10k 3rd tier(fast). put the band on the field and put way more students in the new endzone seats, as many as possible interest is to season tix. thats gotta be what 55-60k right? now were talking.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It would be nice to sell out the Rent at current capacity.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I think Michigan's reaction is a GREAT opportunity for the athletic department. Michigan wants a bigger stadium, so let's expand seating capacity of the game. They know the game is going to sell out. After doing a little research they could likely sell another 3k tickets. I'm going to assume that the band has 500 total seats (might be closer to 300, but they do take up some extra space). The image below is a 2500 seat temporary bleacher setup at RU. IF this fit in the end zone (no guarantee that it does) and you can put the band on the field, there's your 3k seats. Selling those tickets at $30 a pop gets you an extra $90k, plus $10-20k in parking and concessions. Shoot, if you're worried about selling tickets, offer an extra 1-2k to Michigan, they'll use them. But you're not going to worry, because this will be the biggest game in the history of the Rent. So make it happen, Warde.

326.jpg
http://www.seatingsolutions.com/rental/clients/rutgers-university
http://www.seatingsolutions.com/rental/clients/rutgers-university

Reaction Score
i know that the 50k plans are there and everything, but i just think thats not enough at all. i guess if that can be done in one off season then fine it makes sense. i would like to go big or don't go, but you have me hooked now becuase it can be done fast(if true).

i know that open endzone is for looking to hartford so important balh blah but close that in so that its a complete bowl and then do your planned 10k 3rd tier(fast). put the band on the field and put way more students in the new endzone seats, as many as possible interest is to season tix. thats gotta be what 55-60k right? now were talking.
---------------------
Dan- what we see at The Rent currently is the completion of Phase II of the project. Phase III is the endzone additions for BOTH ends which will bring the Stadium to 64K. That will get us over the minimum attendance of 57k for the B1G which exists currently unless you were granfathered in. There is an additional phase that was also factored in, but there are structural changes needed to make that happen and will cost major $$$. I think we would need at least a BCS Bowl victory to get that approved through the state legislature!!

Reaction Score
It would be nice to sell out the Rent at current capacity.
======================
Just curious if anbody has any link to any news articles that discuss the attendance decline in recent years. Didnt we have a sellout from Day one til 2009? The first 6 years were sellouts as I recall?? Just have to wonder why attendance was going down starting in 2009 when we were putting a solid product on the field consistently? I dont think you can chalk that all up to the economy, but who knows...

Reaction Score
what?
================
Dude, thats actually pretty funny when you look at your reply w/ Jonathan holding the booze! "What?"
Seriously though, I thought you mentioned in an earlier post that you lived in Florida? I must of been wrong.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
======================
Just curious if anbody has any link to any news articles that discuss the attendance decline in recent years. Didnt we have a sellout from Day one til 2009? The first 6 years were sellouts as I recall?? Just have to wonder why attendance was going down starting in 2009 when we were putting a solid product on the field consistently? I dont think you can chalk that all up to the economy, but who knows...
We didn't sell out in 2003, not sure about 2004 but definitely 2005. However, we used to have sellouts with lots of empty seats. Lots of people bought extra season tickets in the early years. I believe that in 2006 and 2007 we used to have large empty sections of blue seats in the upper level, sunny side. By 2008/2009 they started selling those seats as single game tickets. We may have lower attendance now compared to the early years, but the Rent is more full now.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
================
Dude, thats actually pretty funny when you look at your reply w/ Jonathan holding the booze! "What?"
Seriously though, I thought you mentioned in an earlier post that you lived in Florida? I must of been wrong.

not from florida.....where im from newt wants to mine for gold.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
---------------------
Dan- what we see at The Rent currently is the completion of Phase II of the project. Phase III is the endzone additions for BOTH ends which will bring the Stadium to 64K. That will get us over the minimum attendance of 57k for the B1G which exists currently unless you were granfathered in. There is an additional phase that was also factored in, but there are structural changes needed to make that happen and will cost major $$$. I think we would need at least a BCS Bowl victory to get that approved through the state legislature!!

i have never heard of this. i know of the 3rd tier carl was talking about and clearly its starting points. is this out on the interent for me to look at somewhere?

64k would be great for a final product.

i think it starts with putting the band on the field and temp bleachers in the walk area on both sides of the score board up there or something. lets get 45k in for michigan without a addition and then go big from there. set records then expand.

Reaction Score
I'm glad this game is at the Rent. I understand being willing to play in a neutral site game in certain instances but if we can't get big name programs to play us at home I honestly don't see how we ever become a legit football school. Having Michigan come here is a step in the right direction and we need to do everything we can to make sure this game happens as is currently planned. After this if they want to play in Jersey or Mass, I'm cool with it but I agree with the others that feel we should be trying to get another game at the Rent out of the deal as well. We'll never be able to get the Rent expanded if we can't get established schools to come here. Getting Michigan to come is going to be a huge win for the program.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
another aspect to expanding is who you are playing. as we talk about getting the michigans and tenn's among others to play here. but right now the newbigeast were in only brings 1 team thats going to bring a crowd. thats rutgers. umass now will start to bring a crowd also. thats 2 games a year that for sure we could get 50k i would say.

did cuse ever bring huge crowds? i have missed cuse at the rent 2 of the last 3 times while at school so i wouldn't know. its been years for me watching cuse. how many would bc bring? pitt didn't do alot but was ok if i remeber correctly? if we ever got a invite to the acc i think expansion would be a must have right away. otherwise we would be at the bottom of the pile with duke and wake. if we were 50k+ we would be right there in the running with half the league which recruiting and just perception wise would be great. maybe were waiting to see how things shake out first.

Reaction Score
It would be far more important to the long term future of this program to have the economic benefit of more fans in greater NYC than it would be to have the "respect" of the college football world, whatever that means.

But you and I have had this discussion before and we will just have to agree to disagree.

Nope! If UConn is to be "big time", then they need the vast majority of their home OOC's played at Rentschler. Act the part of "big time". Nobody is gonna respect you, if you don't respect yourself.

An occasional (and I mean few and very far between) neutral site game would, I agree be beneficial. But not part of a deal that allows the opponent to have it's home games . . . at home.

If the Yale Bowl was in better condition and could be made available, I also would agree that it would be a good thing to play there maybe once a year to accomodate the FFC fans and any NYC'ers. But other than that, UConn has a home field. The answer is in expanding the stadium and that will require among other things, exciting opponents on the schedule.

Reaction Score
Sorry. But we are basically in the Conference USA here pretty soon. We almost had to sell our souls to the devil to get Temple back after we booted their asses out a few years ago. Long term our leverage in getting heavyweights to play us OOC at the Rent will decrease. It's not great to act bigtime if we have an empty schedule.

I hope we are looking into playing Syracuse and WVU OOC in the future. Syracuse is no heavyweight, but it's a close OOC game for both schools.

Reaction Score
. thats rutgers. umass now will start to bring a crowd also. thats 2 games a year that for sure we could get 50k i would say.
t.

assuming we play them each every year, it's really only one home game/year that we'd get your 50k for. if you figure $25 from each additional ticket that adds up to $250,000 which is probably not enough to justify the expansion. does anyone have any idea what the costs would be to expand, or has there been any kind of benefit analysis for what kind of attendance we'd need for an expansion to make sense financially?

about Syracuse, does anyone know how many conference games ACC teams will be required to play after the expansion? i doubt they'll have much room for a regular game against us

Reaction Score
It's in the spring of 2012, and while walking along an old runway at Rentschler Field, head football coach Paul Pasqualoni is contemplating the game against Michigan in 2013 and hears a voice that whispers, "If you build it, they will come", and sees a football stadium capable of holding fifty-five thousand fans. His novice athletic director, Warde Manuel is skeptical, but he allows him to add temporary bleachers along the open end of the stadium in front of the giant scoreboard, partition other areas to accommodate stand up viewing (just like they do at Bryant-Denny Stadium in Alabama and the Forum in Montreal), and set up temporary bleachers at field level for the biggest, loudest, and best college band on the east coast.
463_7dd2c1d81306869108e8ee6554ee00e6e95eef63
UConn's Field of Dreams
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members