Michelle Voeple ESPNW article: Ranking the best UConn players currently in the WNBA | The Boneyard

Michelle Voeple ESPNW article: Ranking the best UConn players currently in the WNBA

Reaction Score
Is the older generation of UConn alumnae slowing down? To my mind the starting five for the Lynx are the best five-person women's team ever. But they are just not dominating as they used to. Is it age? And is Maya tired? She simply doesn't seem to be playing up to her usual standards.

For that matter, Diana fouled out last night during a poor shooting night and after just 25 minutes. Should USA Basketball pass her by for the national team? Is it time?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
An ESPNw article tailor made for the BY. Enjoy and debate. :D

Who is the best former UConn player in the WNBA right now?

List she came up with is based on assessment of this season's play up to today without regard to
their career accomplishments. This results in some surprising results. Maya = 4 for one.
Normally I think you'd be right, but Maya seems to be struggling so far in the W this season. And I'd put Tina at #1 and Stewie at #2. Tina's leading the league in points and is 5th in boards. Stewie is #3 in PPG and #4 in rebounds per game. Still, it's a minor quibble...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Normally I think you'd be right, but Maya seems to be struggling so far in the W this season. And I'd put Tina at #1 and Stewie at #2. Tina's leading the league in points and is 5th in boards. Stewie is #3 in PPG and #4 in rebounds per game. Still, it's a minor quibble...

I did not disagree with Maya's position at #4. I think that is accurate based on this seasons performance. I just thought itwould be surprising for those who really do not follow the current season of the WNBA in any depth.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree with Cat that it’s strange to discuss after only 3-5 games. That’s a very small sample.

I’d swap Stewie and Tina, as well as Maya and Dee. I like the recognition for Tiff. She’s now money at the FT line, where she spends a lot of time.

Maya looks less dynamic than usual and is shooting poorly. She has had slow starts to other seasons. I expect that she and her team will step it up at some point this season.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I've done some extensive research in this area and after looking exhaustively at the rules I've come to the conclusion that Stewie still has one more year of eligibility left.

Reaction Score
I agree with Cat that it’s strange to discuss after only 3-5 games. That’s a very small sample.
That's true, but the season is also small. 5 games into a 34 game season. I guess you have to start talking about it at some point, might as well be now. Lol

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That's true, but the season is also small. 5 games into a 34 game season. I guess you have to start talking about it at some point, might as well be now. Lol
15% of the season is gone already. :eek:

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
It's odd having this debate 5 games in to a season but whatever drives clicks and viewers for the upcoming game.

15% of the season is gone already. :eek:

It is the end of the first "month" (though not a full month of games) of the WNBA season and, as @meyers7 noted, approximately 15 percent of the season has been completed. So I think it is great that there is a prominent article on ESPN about the top players and their respective impacts/rankings for this year.

Second, having prominent WNBA coverage is great to grow the sport. Having substantive commentary and analysis on ESPN.com is a great way to promote the sport. As @SVCBeercats noted in another thread, women's professional sports (and as @willtalk added - women's professional team sports) can be a hard sell. Having analytical articles and these types of rankings/lists is what is done in men's professional sports all the time, so fans can discuss and debate (and hopefully watch more). That would be great for the WNBA.

Finally, the list is one of former UConn players. Three of those players are mentioned in the GOAT/future GOAT discussions. And one of the other two players was a WNBA MVP, WNBA Rookie of the Year, 5X WNBA All-Star, 5X All-WNBA First Team member, 3X All-WNBA Second Team member, 2X WNBA All-Defensive First Team, 2X WNBA All-Defensive Second Team, has lead the WNBA in rebounding 4 times, has led the WNBA in scoring 1 season, won 2 NCAA titles, won the John Wooden Award, holds the UConn career record for rebounds, won almost every high school POY award (WBCA NPOY, USA Today NPOY, McDonald's NPOY, Gatorade NPOY), and also has 2 Olympic gold medals and 2 World Championship gold medals.

Given that there are a few UConn fans on this board who have expressed concern over the losses in the NCAAT the past few years (though 11 straight Final Fours and 11 overall national titles is STAGGERING and the envy of every other school) and recruiting, having a prominent article on ESPN that features UCONN graduates and their WNBA successes and accomplishments has to be considered a good thing!

JordyG

Reaction Score
Two if she transfers to Notre Dame.

upload_2018-6-1_12-56-21.jpeg

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Cam, I agree with much of what you say, including that doing it early may hype the season. I just think that any ranking would be more meaningful if based on more games—maybe in 2-3 weeks, or maybe a career or prospective career ranking.

JordyG

Reaction Score
In the past Angel McCoughtry was heads & shoulders above her teammates on the Dream but IMHO Tiffany Hayes is now her equal!
Yeah, Tiff is the real deal now.

But for the last few years I've been telling friends that back in the 70's if I was at a party trying to talk to the ladies and Robert Redford walked into the room, man, I'd get trampled. I'd quickly become invisible and irelevant. Now? If Robert walked in, heck, I've still got a shot. Age is nobody's friend.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Cam, I agree with much of what you say, including that doing it early may hype the season. I just think that any ranking would be more meaningful if based on more games—maybe in 2-3 weeks, or maybe a career or prospective career ranking.
Why not do it now and then do it again? After all, some UCONN fans have a meltdown if one of our players has a bad game.

Gabby started off last season poorly - 5 games in she was averaging low MPG because of foul trouble and it was discussed extensively. Same went for Pheesa (not foul trouble, just not playing as well as the previous season - and people noted it right out the gate)...Anyway just my $.02

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Didn't take Stewie very long to get to the top, did it? I still think she's underrated, by UConn fans. And Taurasi still so playing so well is amazing. She got a shout-out from Jeff Van Gundy last night.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Why not do it now and then do it again? After all, some UCONN fans have a meltdown if one of our players has a bad game.

Gabby started off last season poorly - 5 games in she was averaging low MPG because of foul trouble and it was discussed extensively. Same went for Pheesa (not foul trouble, just not playing as well as the previous season - and people noted it right out the gate)...Anyway just my $.02
Based on the last game, I’d rank Kaleena as #6. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom