Michelle Smith: McCoughtry not happy with Maya | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Michelle Smith: McCoughtry not happy with Maya

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Posted this thought elsewhere but:
Every player is a different player on the National team than they are on any other team they play or have played on and that is especially true for players like Angel who have generally been looked to as the clear 'star' and offensive driver of their team. The National team has so much talent from 1-12 that no one player ever has to 'carry' the team and they each have more defined specialties that focus on their specific strengths than on their regular teams. On the National team defensive pressure and disruption is probably Angel's 'thing' with her unique offensive skills presenting another and different problem for the opponent's defense - she is great at creating chaos for the opponent in a way that Maya or Catch don't and that contrast is just another weapon for the NT coach to employ. Players love playing on the NT because while the pressure to win is greater than anywhere else, the actual pressure on them individually is reduced. They do not have to pace themselves but can give maximum effort for a 5 minute stretch knowing that when they start to flag the next one in will be just as good but with fresh legs and lungs.

All that said, the NT is going to be in transition and there are a number of young players looking to push out the older players and a desire by the committee to get younger to develop the next generation. Angel is a bit of a tweener in terms of age younger than the old guard but not as young as the younger NT Olympians. I think she is probably safe for 2014 but by 2016 she might get dropped to allow one of those youngsters a place.

Reaction Score
When Angel is in the zone, she can dominate every phase of the game. Probably fair to say she's wired differently, but she is one of the very best players in the world. I don't have any anger at what she said. She's a competitor and her team is likely against insurmountable opposition in this series. Sometimes frustration gets the best of us all.

Reaction Score
I know that I am a little late for this comment but....Angel is a cry baby. I mean we all saw the games of the Finals. Sure she may have gotten hacked several times when driving the lane but so did some of the Lynx players. They did not whine. Plus Angel reminds me of Reggie Miller...too much drama and acting. There was a few plays where Angel drove to the rack and her defender gave her some space. Angel started flopping like she got hit with a stone cold stunner or something. I mean just stop it and play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc
Top Bottom